April 18, 2024, 11:23:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Top speed not being reached 2001 electra glide

Started by Dime, October 02, 2020, 04:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dime

Hello,

I just got a 2001 electra glide. 85mph I am dead on 3500 rpm. She will roll to 90 mph but it doesn't have any more there. She gets to 80 mph at 4000 rpm in 4th real well and then falls on face. Runs up through the gears really well, no hesitation from idel to 5200 rpm except in 4th as I said.

Have I S&S stealth air cleaner on order, it has true dual headers with stock mufflers so I ordered DNA mufflers, and jets assortment hopefully it is stock and not a dynojet kit.

From what I have read stock top speed should be 102 mph. I am hoping the stage 1 completion will sort this out. As far as I know it it a stock 88 ci.

Is there anything I should be looking at before I go ahead and do the stage 1 kit?

Thanks,
Dime

rigidthumper

I'd suggest compression & leak down tests, to ensure mechanical health of the engine.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pete_Vit

mine was an Evo Softtail, when I got my Springer it would not get out of it's own way, now my bike is carb'd, so may not be related, but my bike had very low mileage for a 1996 (bought in 2004), very clean, turns out the carb was fouled an jets were green, corroded.
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

Check/change the plugs, check the plug wires. The stock air filter will restrict flow, the change to a high flow filter will help.
Make sure the throttle is opening all the way to the stop. I see it many times that it stops short. As mentioned, get into the carb and see how it looks. Also look for a ripped diaphragm in the carb slide.
Check your petcock for flow, plugged screen. If original fuel hose, might help to change it. Check for vacuum leaks.
Not sure if the mass air flow sensor would come into play here, but something to look at.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Dime

Thank you all very much for the replies. I have a few things to dig into for sure. Was down talking to my mechanic as well and he is going to be digging into the cam chest this winter for me to check/replace the shoes and install a set of cams. So while I have to sort out the carb for the stage one stuff I will have to dig in again but that is no big deal. Realistically it will be spring before this gets fully sorted because of time lines.

Hossamania

Depending the new cams chosen, you may find the carb is pretty close in jetting after it is set up for the stage one upgrade. Luckily a very easy carb to work on.
You will probably want a programmable ignition with the new cams, wouldn't hurt with the stock motor or stage one either. DTT works well.

Dime

Gona be honest the ignition is going to be wait and see how it runs. If I don't have to spend that money that would be awesome. See alot of guys running with stock ignition as well as alot with aftermarket but usually when going to big bore. If money was not a factor I would be doing it along with. So yes I totally agree but am poor, LOL. Harleys are expensive but awesome.

Hossamania

Jets and needles are cheap for the carb, so that's nice!

Ironpig9

Not trying to be funny or sassy here, but maybe your guardian angel doesn't want you rolling that fast. Not much need for that much speed in my book - not with all the crazy cage drivers out there.  :idunno:
"The road goes on forever...."

Dime

Quote from: Ironpig9 on October 02, 2020, 07:56:13 PM
Not trying to be funny or sassy here, but maybe your guardian angel doesn't want you rolling that fast. Not much need for that much speed in my book - not with all the crazy cage drivers out there.  :idunno:

I appreciate that.

joelp34252

I bought my carb 2001 Electra Glide brand new. Stock it would go 100 mph in fifth gear. Shift down to fourth and it would 105 indicated.

Joel 2001 FLHT

Hossamania

if my friends can go 100, I must go 105. That's just the rules.

Dime

Quote from: Hossamania on October 02, 2020, 10:03:39 PM

I got two 103's I am try to keep pace with and a 1800 vtx. I know I an't neccesarily doing that on a 88 ci but I need to come close.

rigidthumper

So sayeth the Shepard, so sayeth the flock!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Don D

Quote from: Dime on October 03, 2020, 02:40:44 AM

I got two 103's I am try to keep pace with and a 1800 vtx. I know I an't neccesarily doing that on a 88 ci but I need to come close.
Skip the add-ons for the carb just a 46 main jet and a few #4 washers under the needle will richen it up. Clean it out, set the flaot level, check the diaphram. Do not drill the slide or change the spring.

Dime

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 03, 2020, 05:49:03 AM
Quote from: Dime on October 03, 2020, 02:40:44 AM

Skip the add-ons for the carb just a 46 main jet and a few #4 washers under the needle will richen it up. Clean it out, set the flaot level, check the diaphram. Do not drill the slide or change the spring.

Awesome. Have the 46 pilot ordered. Do you recommend any change to the main?

bobrk1

As far  as  the  main  jet get  on highway  get  up  to  65 and  twist it wide  open  for  a few  seconds  then  back  off about  1/8 on the  throttle  if you  feel  it pull your  lean if no difference  should  be  good .

Don D

Most have a 185 which proves to be adequate most of the time especially at 88".

Dime

Right on. Thank you. I have to do that on the highway and see where I am lean or rich.

Dime

Quote from: Hossamania on October 02, 2020, 10:36:20 AM
Depending the new cams chosen, you may find the carb is pretty close in jetting after it is set up for the stage one upgrade. Luckily a very easy carb to work on.
You will probably want a programmable ignition with the new cams, wouldn't hurt with the stock motor or stage one either. DTT works well.

My buddy who is doing my wrenching has a 32719-01A ignition module that I can have for a good price.

Would this be a benefit?

Don D

No. The motor does not need a higher redline. If money is tight find out what the basics are first. I would not spend a dime on that unit and if there was spare money available I would pick up a DTT TC88 programable ignition, the last 10% of the build. With higher compression the programable unit will have benefits that are value added.

Dime

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 03, 2020, 09:24:42 AM
No. The motor does not need a higher redline. If money is tight find out what the basics are first. I would not spend a dime on that unit and if there was spare money available I would pick up a DTT TC88 programable ignition, the last 10% of the build. With higher compression the programable unit will have benefits that are value added.

Awesome love the advice I am getting. Appreciate you taking the time to answer noob questions.

motorhogman

I have a stock box 2001 FLHT ( carb'd) ( except mufflers) that I bought new Sept of 2000.   I have had it bump 105 a couple of times. Pretty sure the speedo shows 2 - 3 mph faster than reality..No more left.. I rarely ever ride much over 80 mph.  I didn't buy the road couch to break land speed records with and most of the 115,000 mi have been 2 up touring.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Dime

Quote from: bobrk1 on October 03, 2020, 06:39:43 AM
As far  as  the  main  jet get  on highway  get  up  to  65 and  twist it wide  open  for  a few  seconds  then  back  off about  1/8 on the  throttle  if you  feel  it pull your  lean if no difference  should  be  good .

Did this today in forth and 5th gears. Definitely didn't seem lean. It just felt gutless in 5th when I went wide open and backed off.

smoserx1

I bet your diaphragm in the carburetor has a  hole in it.  Real easy to check.  Remove the air filter and look into the throat of the carb when you blip the throttle.  The slide should rise instantaneously.  If it does not move or barely move that is your problem.  I have replaced about 3 of them in mine.

Dime

Quote from: smoserx1 on October 04, 2020, 05:40:07 PM
I bet your diaphragm in the carburetor has a  hole in it.  Real easy to check.  Remove the air filter and look into the throat of the carb when you blip the throttle.  The slide should rise instantaneously.  If it does not move or barely move that is your problem.  I have replaced about 3 of them in mine.

Thanks man I will definitely check this out