What’s the best way to paint a set of twin cam cylinders black?

Started by 838, October 03, 2020, 09:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Going for the old fashion  look of all black cylinders with silver heads. What's a good way to black out (wrinkle black) the barrels that won't fade or chip?

Thanks

hbkeith

i always use HD engine paint in a spray can , easy touch up if ever needed , holds up well . sure lots will say powder coat

rigidthumper

HD Texture Black, on well cleaned cylinders, seems to last as long as anything else.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

wfolarry

Don D

Heat them up a bit before applying and be sure they are 100% oil free. Spray them down with acetone or lacquer thinner first.

MikeL

A professional powder coat job but if you can't HD rattle can wrinkle black. Preheat in an oven 250 to 300f remove and spray away. When cool sand off the fin edges using a rubber sanding block and course emery paper.
I did the same paint scheme on my RKC 124. I got the heads powder coated silver no corrosion now. Looks good the old timers like it.

MIKE

Hossamania

Quote from: MikeL on October 04, 2020, 07:08:11 AM
A professional powder coat job but if you can't HD rattle can wrinkle black. Preheat in an oven 250 to 300f remove and spray away. When cool sand off the fin edges using a rubber sanding block and course emery paper.
I did the same paint scheme on my RKC 124. I got the heads powder coated silver no corrosion now. Looks good the old timers like it.

MIKE

I think 838 is going for the all black look, no sanding on the fins.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Flhfxd

I did this to my 94 EVO when I rebuilt the engine in 2016. Clean everything up real well, heat the jugs in the oven, hang them up with stiff wire and spray. Looks good.  :up: I used PJ1 wrinkle paint and it's holding up well.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

88b

Quote from: Hossamania on October 04, 2020, 07:44:07 AM
Quote from: MikeL on October 04, 2020, 07:08:11 AM

MIKE

I think 838 is going for the all black look, no sanding on the fins.

👍 with silver/blonde heads... thanks for the tips all.

boooby1744

If the fins are polished an etching primer might bea good idea.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Flhfxd on October 04, 2020, 10:08:35 AM
I did this to my 94 EVO when I rebuilt the engine in 2016. Clean everything up real well, heat the jugs in the oven, hang them up with stiff wire and spray. Looks good.  :up: I used PJ1 wrinkle paint and it's holding up well.

I, too, have used PJ1 paint with excellent results.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

72fl

If you are not removing them, I alway's used a straw like the type on a brakleen or carb cleaner can and sprayed in between the fin's with high temp 1500 barbecue paint then heat cycle them a few time's

Helmwurst

First of all , send your wife away for the weekend. Prep cylinders, pre-heat in the oven to about 150F, paint , cure in oven and then set out overnight for additional curing. Bake cookies in oven to cover up the smell of the paint and throw them away. I would not suggest eating them. She gets home does not smell the paint in her oven and you have a great looking set of blacked out cylinders. Been there done that !

Quote from: Helmwurst on October 07, 2020, 05:30:07 AM
First of all , send your wife away for the weekend. Prep cylinders, pre-heat in the oven to about 150F, paint , cure in oven and then set out overnight for additional curing. Bake cookies in oven to cover up the smell of the paint and throw them away. I would not suggest eating them. She gets home does not smell the paint in her oven and you have a great looking set of blacked out cylinders. Been there done that !

My wife is away this weekend:

What is the best way to prep?

How long in oven pre paint and at what temp?

How long in oven post paint and what temp?

Thanks!

kd

KD

Helmwurst

Don't remember the temperatures, I just followed the instructions on the can. I do remember heating them up to about 110 degree F. Choc Chip, what other kind are there !??

FXDL4ME

Quote from: 88b on October 05, 2020, 02:08:08 PM
If you want matt finish ive had good luck with BBQ paint .

+1....I've had great results with that.

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 04, 2020, 06:25:57 AM
Heat them up a bit before applying and be sure they are 100% oil free. Spray them down with acetone or lacquer thinner first.

What's the best way to clean the oil off? Do you spray them with acetone or lacquer thinner to clean the oil off, Then heat, Then paint, then heat again??
Should I prep the fins in any way if they are polished. The cylinders will be all black when done... no polished fins.

Thanks

boooby1744

Whatever chemical you use to degrease,I'd still wash it off with Dawn after air drying.self etching primer on the polished fins. I never heat metal to be painted over 75-80*, but I use rattle cans.

With self etching on bare metal would you have to use a second primer before painting?

boooby1744

HighLiner

Quote from: boooby1744 on November 05, 2020, 11:13:43 PM
I never did.

Is it ok if the self etching primer gets on the painted portions of the fins? These cylinders are going from dark grey to black, so I want to eliminate as much potential for the paint to fade as possible.