April 19, 2024, 02:23:41 PM

News:

Starter Issues.

Started by markymark, October 05, 2020, 01:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markymark

Boss brought in a friends 86 Softail with an S&S motor. Starter just grinds. Was tols owner replaced starter and I Just installed a new battery. With primary cover off, looks like starter drive is not moving out enough to engage ring gear. Any ideas ?? Thanks.

Ohio HD

Doesn't '86 have the four speed transmission and four speed style starter. Probably the solenoid.

markymark

Not sure. I can watch the drive spin and kick out though. There appears to be some kind of solenoid/linkage attached to the primary ( ???)

Dan89flstc

A warning about this starter configuration since you are unfamiliar with it.

Do not pull out on the starter drive unit, no matter what position the ignition switch is in, or it will bite you...

If for any reason you need to put your fingers in there, disconnect the negative battery cable first.

The starter drive unit is probably kaput...

Item 19:

https://shop.suburbanharley.com/oem-parts#/Harley-Davidson%c2%ae/FXST_BHLG_Softail_Standard_(1986)/STARTER_SHAFT_AND_HOUSING_-_BELT_DRIVEN_MODELS/99455-86A-1263/9945586A-120098-H050025/y
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Burnout

Check for bent shift lever that kicks the drive gear out,
and that the solenoid is properly connected to the shift lever.

I cut the corner out of a crashed primary cover so I can see it work.

I have found a major disparity in the location of the support bearing in various primary covers.
Some jack shaft assys will not be long enough to engage properly in the cover bearing.
Someone was linked here hawking an extension for the starter shaft. (cant remember where to search)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

xlfan

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 05, 2020, 01:11:21 PM
Doesn't '86 have the four speed transmission and four speed style starter. Probably the solenoid.

5-speed transmission and a 4-speed style starter arrangement.

It sounds like something is preventing the starter clutch to recieve enough throw-out. Solenoid in wrong position? Worn tabs on throw-out fork? Wrong shifter collar? Wrong starter shaft spacernut?

guido4198

Sorry.."NEW Battery" has no meaning to me. I had a "NEW" battery in my bike, had "starting issues" and replaced several of the parts already mentioned in this thread only to finally discover that the NEW battery was bad from the manufacturer.  :banghead: It's rare, but it happens.  :nix:
My first suggestion would be to install a battery that you know is good, because it starts another bike without issues, or put that New battery in another bike that has been starting just fine. You get the idea. I have several spare parts on my shelf now for my 1985 FXR, which isn't all bad I guess.  :wink:

capn

Most likely a bad starter drive.remember the nut that holds the drive on has reverse threads.

markymark

I need to find out some good info on the drive operation. The battery was replaced due to excessive voltage drop during start attempt. would drop to 3 volts.

kd

Bad starter bushings will cause that too.
KD

JW113

Quote from: Burnout on October 05, 2020, 08:09:26 PM

:up:
Highly recommend to start there. Will save you a lot of time and money on parts that are not the problem.

[attach=0,msg1364237]

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on October 06, 2020, 09:38:51 AM
Quote from: Burnout on October 05, 2020, 08:09:26 PM
ive seen that before. a great cheap invention

:up:
Highly recommend to start there. Will save you a lot of time and money on parts that are not the problem.

[attach=0,msg1364237]

-JW

fleetmechanic

Even if the starter clutch isn't slipping I would check the splines inside the clutch sleeve and on the shaft.

markymark

Removed the cover again to inspect. No broken parts. The drive simply is not coming out far enough. Ordered new solenoid and drive assy. (7-10 days out). Will update later.

xlfan

October 08, 2020, 02:31:11 PM #14 Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:35:23 PM by xlfan
Is it lack of throw-out, or is the starter clutch prevented from full throw-out due to too long starter shaft spacer nut?

markymark

UPDATE: Replaced drive and solenoid assy. Starts fine now, BUT when it did start it immediately dumped at least 1 qt of oil out of the vent on the ground. Now sure how long the bike sat. Thanks for all of the ideas.