April 19, 2024, 11:34:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which lifter is it..?

Started by motorhogman, October 07, 2020, 06:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

2001 FLHT stock cams and push rods. Running Liqui Moly 10 - 60 Very recent oil and filter change.

I replaced my lifters 2,500 mi ago this past winter with Hylft Johnson 2313 S lifters.

The only reason I changed them was I had a lot of miles on the old ones.

I primed them and left them submerged in oil until i was ready to install.

Faced all the oil holes inboard as that's the direction my old lifters were facing.

The issue I have is if the bike sits for more than 4 or 5 days one of them is bleeding down big time.

Sounds like a hammer beating on a cast iron frying pan. Just started doing this the past 3 0r 4 start ups after sitting a bit.

Here's my Questions..

If I remove the spark plugs and rotate the engine via the rear wheel after the bike has sat for a week or so what are the odds I will be able to find the lifter that is bleeding down ?

I really can't determine if it's front or rear cylinder by listening, it hammers less than 2 or 3 seconds and pumps up. That's the only time it hammers, start up after 4 or 5 days.

My second though is just order another set of lifters and replace them all again...? 

I know there was a lifter shortage a while back. Maybe there still is ?

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Propflux01

I'd just order another set. Short of debris of some kind in One of the lifter, the rest are prolly not far behind in going south. Plus you get peace of mind.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

motorhogman

Quote from: Propflux01 on October 07, 2020, 06:58:46 AM
I'd just order another set. Short of debris of some kind in One of the lifter, the rest are prolly not far behind in going south. Plus you get peace of mind.

You are probably right.. I don't know that I can buy one lifter anyway.. Sure didn't expect failure at 2,500 mi though. 

koko3052

I'd really doubt that any of them are going south with 2500 mi on them! :emoGroan:
More than likely a bit of debris in one of them. Pumping up in 2-3 seconds after sitting a week is not something to be worrying about But the idea of checking cold is feasible to find the culprit.

Don D

Not any part is perfect all the time despite QC.

Ohio HD

Quote from: koko3052 on October 07, 2020, 07:47:20 AM

I'd really doubt that any of them are going south with 2500 mi on them! :emoGroan:
More than likely a bit of debris in one of them. Pumping up in 2-3 seconds after sitting a week is not something to be worrying about But the idea of checking cold is feasible to find the culprit.

koko
Agree it may be dirt.

motorhogman
Winter is coming, you may as well wait and then take them out, take them apart on clean white rags. See if you can find some debris / dirt, etc.

A great motorcycle builder (Rigidthumper) once told me: "Lifters, the worlds most perfect oil filter!"

harpwrench

Any hyd lifter will bleed down after a few minutes of sitting, if the cam lobe is up when you shut it off. The problem is one isn't pumping back up instantly. I like and run the same brand of lifter, but the last set I got had one with a sticky plunger and the set before that had one with a jinked up clip. I install travel limiters, so the problems were found when installing those.

motorhogman

Thanks.. I would highly doubt they are all going South as well... 2500 mi and probably haven't seen 4000 rpm.  Oh wait.. They have gone South.. I'm in South Carolina...The thing that bothers me is how far it must be bleeding down LOUD as it is and I'm not believing in coincidences here so I don't think the engine always shuts down with that lifter with the cam lobe up..

motorhogman

motorhogman

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 07, 2020, 08:09:52 AM

koko
Agree it may be dirt.

motorhogman
Winter is coming, you may as well wait and then take them out, take them apart on clean white rags. See if you can find some debris / dirt, etc.

A great motorcycle builder (Rigidthumper) once told me: "Lifters, the worlds most perfect oil filter!"
thanks

LOL @ "Lifters, the worlds most perfect oil filter!"

Don't have much winter here in SC.. last year we had little to none..

next stretch i get of it sitting for more than 5 or 6 days I may just lift the push rod tubes and see what I find..

only two days with a chance of rain in the ten day.. Not sure when that will happen.

motorhogman

Quote from: harpwrench on October 07, 2020, 08:21:24 AM
Any hyd lifter will bleed down after a few minutes of sitting, if the cam lobe is up when you shut it off. The problem is one isn't pumping back up instantly. I like and run the same brand of lifter, but the last set I got had one with a sticky plunger and the set before that had one with a jinked up clip. I install travel limiters, so the problems were found when installing those.

thanx,

I understand what you are saying.. I've had lifters that bled down some in the past..Little clicking..Never had one CLACK this loud though..This is the 4th set of lifters if I remember right on this bike in 115,000 mi.  20 years.

Hossamania

Interesting, I'm still running the same set of B lifters that went in 90,000 miles ago, and ridden as hard as anyone can. Just lucky I guess.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on October 07, 2020, 10:23:56 AM
Interesting, I'm still running the same set of B lifters that went in 90,000 miles ago, and ridden as hard as anyone can. Just lucky I guess.

Hoss, I changed them because they had about 60,000 mi on them.. They never leaked down like this even if the bike sat for 2 or 3 weeks. I was concerned about the rollers exploding.  seen the destructive results of that on a shovel head before. 

I might be off by one set.. I can account for two sets before these as I still have the old ones.... seems long ago when the bike was less than a year old they were replaced under warranty. or maybe just one of them was... Old brain matter.... almost 20 years ago...lol..

Propflux01

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 07, 2020, 07:54:35 AM
Not any part is perfect all the time despite QC.
correct, and short of debris, he could have got one that "slipped through the cracks". Removing and inspecting is the only sure bet, but I am also betting a replacement is in order.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

Don D

October 07, 2020, 12:10:05 PM #14 Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:19:53 PM by HD Street Performance
How quick they equalize when adjusting  pushrods when filled with oil is a crude indication.

harpwrench

Maybe an intake/exhaust pushrod are swapped?

rbabos

Any lifter exposed to the load of the valve spring will bleed down in a few minutes. It's how fast it pumps up determines how much you will hear it. If it bled down but no oil present, they will clack for a while, since it will gulp air. Might not be the lifter but lack of oil in the galley for it to suck up when it extends. One of the important reasons to have a ADV in the oil filters.
Ron

Don D

Why not wiggle the pushrods when cold and on the base circle. Check and more than likely the one that wiggles, is loose, change that lifter out with a new one. Like I said they are all not perfect.

smoserx1

I have heard the original lifters in the twin cam (before the b series) were made by Johnson.  They were in my 99 when new and did this from day one until they were replaced with the B lifters.  As long as it goes away in a few seconds I wouldn't worry about it.   I have heard lots of cars do this too.

snowangel

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 07, 2020, 05:15:16 PM
Why not wiggle the pushrods when cold and on the base circle. Check and more than likely the one that wiggles, is loose, change that lifter out with a new one. Like I said they are all not perfect.

:agree:

CndUltra88

Playing eenie meenie miney moe isnt a good way to sort this out.
Set of new ones are how much $$ ?
Piece of mind is priceless.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

rigidthumper

After sitting for however long it takes for this to happen,  pop the clips and slide the tubes up- can you push down on any of the pushrods (enough to see the lifter cup depress)? Any cup that can be depressed with finger pressure is suspect.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Don D

motorhogman

Quote from: rbabos on October 07, 2020, 04:29:04 PM
Any lifter exposed to the load of the valve spring will bleed down in a few minutes. It's how fast it pumps up determines how much you will hear it. If it bled down but no oil present, they will clack for a while, since it will gulp air. Might not be the lifter but lack of oil in the galley for it to suck up when it extends. One of the important reasons to have a ADV in the oil filters.
Ron

thanx

I believe the wix 57148 filter has a ADV in it.. I've heard lots of HD lifters clack a bit after sitting. This is much louder..Never did this before regardless of how long it sat. Even for a month.. Oil pressure is good.. I really think it's a bad, lifter or possibly debris..
Trying to determine if the oil galley is supplying oil might be a bit of a challenge..

motorhogman

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 07, 2020, 12:10:05 PM
How quick they equalize when adjusting  pushrods when filled with oil is a crude indication.

Stock push rods.