March 28, 2024, 06:06:58 PM

News:

Easy start cam question

Started by jamminhd2000, October 09, 2020, 08:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamminhd2000

Just installed a S&S 106 kit with ez start cams in a 07 street bob. On shut down of the motor I hear like a small click on last stroke. I am thinking it is the compression release and is normal...anybody else have this? Thanks...jimmy

kd

It's the mechanism in the cams falling back with the loss of rotation of the cams at the end of the final engine rotation.
KD

Dime

My Dad had the S&S 551cams and had this noise as well

PBSTN

I put 551's in my road king this spring. Yes it's normal.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

thumpr54

Quote from: PBSTN on October 10, 2020, 05:50:38 AM
551s in my 09 FLHR 96"....S & S states this as normal in their literature
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

jamminhd2000

Thanks everyone for the responses...I figured it was compression releases on cam but it was first time installing them so was not sure....thank you!....jimmy

jamminhd2000

Quote from: thumpr54 on October 10, 2020, 06:22:54 AM
Quote from: PBSTN on October 10, 2020, 05:50:38 AM
551s in my 09 FLHR 96"....S & S states this as normal in their literature
Yup clearly stated in install instructions
..kind of feel like a dumbass...first time installing ez starts....learned that I should read stuff closer....jimmy

rbabos

It's the lifter roller snapping off the end of the release bump. Otherwords, did not quite get lined up to engage fully.
Ron

scootertrash1

I have EZ starts in my 2010 Ultra. When I ride in the garage and shut it down everything is real quiet. I can hear air blowing off through the releases. A few times, me scoot sounds like it is having gas! Swear it happens!

jamminhd2000

Quote from: rbabos on October 11, 2020, 06:11:04 AM
It's the lifter roller snapping off the end of the release bump. Otherwords, did not quite get lined up to engage fully.
Ron
Ron are you saying cam not lined up with lifter due to the rear cam shimming?

rbabos

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on October 14, 2020, 07:41:01 PM
Quote from: rbabos on October 11, 2020, 06:11:04 AM
Ron
Ron are you saying cam not lined up with lifter due to the rear cam shimming?
No, the bump on the release mechanism wasn't quite in the full position under the roller. It's a centrifugal weight and might have been spinning just enough to keep the bump from going completely to it's resting, decompressing position. The roller just caught the edge of the release bump, being radiused kicked it back out of the way. A snap, like breaking glass sound.  The weight, with it's release bump will locate correctly as the engine stops turning or will be ready for the next start up. It happens every now and then. No big deal.
Ron

FXDBI

I have been running S&S 585ES for 5 years plus they both click every time the engine is shut down. Did it in 95 in and the 110. Like Ron said its the ES bump falling back when the centrifugal force is insufficient to disengage them. I always looked at it has they were working right.  Bob

jamminhd2000

Thank you everyone for your knowledge.... :hug:....jimmy