April 27, 2024, 12:45:00 AM

News:

gear drive 99-06 cam identification

Started by Trev T, December 13, 2020, 06:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trev T

attempting to identify a set of cams, had S&S gears when they showed up. There are no markings anywhere. I put the calipers to them and came up with these numbers(measured twice with 2 sets of calipers). odd the int/exh have different base circles.
                            Intake                                                             exhaust
base circle             1.310                                                                1.282
lobe height            1.636                                                                1.622
difference               .326                                                                  .34
X 1.625(lift)            .530                                                                 .552

I have searched for a cam with these numbers and flo-headworks 550 is the closest one. Any help would be appreciated.

Ohio HD

A couple of things. Stock cams have a base circle of 1.300 if I remember correctly.

Also trying to measure the base circle with calipers is not accurate. The sides of the lobe @ 90 degrees to the lowest point of the lobe are most likely already opening the valves, and not closed yet on the down ramp. So the measure isn't really the base circle.

Performance cams generally have a smaller than stock base circle. So the lift your calculating probably isn't accurate. You would really need to put the cams in a cam analyzer or on a motor and degree all of the events. Without opening, closing, duration, etc. it's all just a guess.