March 28, 2024, 04:16:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need help with bolt in cam selection. 103ho Dyna

Started by shindig, October 10, 2020, 07:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shindig

PoorUB-  Exactly my point.  With all those upgrades it did 95/108.  If you just tuned a stock '14 up 103HO you woud get roughly 88/103.  So how much money would the average guy pay for parts and a good shop to do the work....?  Again, in my opinion not worth the 7hp and 5tq bump!

Tail Ridr

Are we comparing a twin-cooled against an air cooled...you know, apples to apples? I grew up paying $100/HP routinely on 2-strokes...is it worth it, only the one footing the bill and enjoying the outcome knows. The difference isn't just in the numbers on the paper...
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

sfmichael

While the '14-'16 bikes have a much better cam than previous years, they will still benefit noticeably with a cam swap - just not the level of improvement the '13 and earlier bikes feel

But best 'bang for the buck' on '14-'16 models is an exhaust system upgrade and a good dyno tune
Colorado Springs, CO.

PoorUB

Quote from: shindig on October 21, 2020, 05:51:30 AM
PoorUB-  Exactly my point.  With all those upgrades it did 95/108.  If you just tuned a stock '14 up 103HO you woud get roughly 88/103.  So how much money would the average guy pay for parts and a good shop to do the work....?  Again, in my opinion not worth the 7hp and 5tq bump!

One thing a dyno chart will not show is improvements in drivability. It is just not HP and torque.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Finn

I thought my 103HO went with stock cam rather well. After installing of CR570-2 I realised I was wrong.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

shindig

Maybe my point is being missed here...  I am not comparing a completely stock 14 up 103 ho not even tuned vs an intake exhust cam and tuned 103 ho.  I am comparing a 103 ho with an intake and exhaust WITH a tune to the same plus a cam.  The cost of adding a cam, in my humble opinion, is not worth it.

Hossamania

I think the cost of adding a cam is totally worth it. Once you do it, you'll understand.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

SB107

I dropped the gearing, added some compression, got a valve job, did the 777 cam and the bike (Street bob) felt SO much different from my Stage 1 and tune. I felt it was worth every penny, probably the best bang for buck setup I've done.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

PoorUB

October 24, 2020, 12:39:03 PM #33 Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 05:16:13 PM by PoorUB
Well shindog. I have a 2016 Limited. Did the exhaust and tuned it. It was much better than stock. Dropped in a set of CR 570-2 cams, it made a more than noticeable difference. Never pulled the heads. The one place the new cams did better than the stock cams was 80 MPH  interstate. The stock cams seemed sluggish, the engine felt like it was struggling. That went away with the CR 570-2.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

Added cams to a stage 1 96" Softail, went from 82 tq/63 hp, to 97 tq/91 hp, so 15 tq and 28 hp.  I think they can feel that (Or they need to recalibrate their butt dyno 😁 )
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

sfmichael

Quote from: shindig on October 24, 2020, 11:34:33 AM
Maybe my point is being missed here...  I am not comparing a completely stock 14 up 103 ho not even tuned vs an intake exhust cam and tuned 103 ho.  I am comparing a 103 ho with an intake and exhaust WITH a tune to the same plus a cam.  The cost of adding a cam, in my humble opinion, is not worth it.

I didn't miss it
I stand by my previous reply. Only you can decide if it's worth it. And the only way you will know is if you've done both. I've done both over and over. To me it's worth it. On '13 and earlier, it's a major difference.
'14-'16 it's still quite noticeable.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind - stick with your plan. With a good exhaust system and a good dyno tune they run great.
Colorado Springs, CO.

2013_FLHTK

Quote from: shindig on October 24, 2020, 11:34:33 AM
Maybe my point is being missed here...  I am not comparing a completely stock 14 up 103 ho not even tuned vs an intake exhaust cam and tuned 103 ho.  I am comparing a 103 ho with an intake and exhaust WITH a tune to the same plus a cam.  The cost of adding a cam, in my humble opinion, is not worth it.

A cam change is so much more than numbers. The right cam with the power shaped to your riding style and a great tune made my motorcycle so much more enjoyable to ride. It also gave me the chance to replace the lifters and inner cam bearings with superior components.

shindig

I am happy to hear people are pleased with their cam choice.  Thank you all for the feedback.

Hossamania

November 08, 2020, 03:39:20 PM #38 Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:50:12 PM by Hossamania
Some feedback on the Torquester 555: I had mentioned a friend put them in his '13 Street Glide. He likes them, they pull nicely. But he has been riding more two-up with his wife on the back, and feels they are not as torquey down low as he thought they might be. Work well when solo, just has noticed it more with his wife riding along (she's a bigger gal). However, still great midrange and top end power, and no slouch down low, even with her on. Just not a stump puller.
I'm not sure exactly sure how he is riding, maybe trying roll on, 55mph going into a slight grade? Don't get me wrong, he's not disappointed, just learning how it's working. He was also told it will respond well to headwork, which is in the plans. On a light bike like the OP's, I'm sure they would still be a good choice.

sfmichael

Quote from: Hossamania on November 08, 2020, 03:39:20 PM
Some feedback on the Torquester 555: I had mentioned a friend put them in his '13 Street Glide. He likes them, they pull nicely. But he has been riding more two-up with his wife on the back, and feels they are not as torquey down low as he thought they might be. Work well when solo, just has noticed it more with his wife riding along (she's a bigger gal). However, still great midrange and top end power, and no slouch down low, even with her on. Just not a stump puller.
I'm not sure exactly sure how he is riding, maybe trying roll on, 55mph going into a slight grade? Don't get me wrong, he's not disappointed, just learning how it's working. He was also told it will respond well to headwork, which is in the plans. On a light bike like the OP's, I'm sure they would still be a good choice.

sometime me thinks we doth expect too much from these 900lb, 2 cylinder bikes...  :wink:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Don D

Hossamania

Quote from: sfmichael on November 14, 2020, 07:57:18 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 08, 2020, 03:39:20 PM

sometime me thinks we doth expect too much from these 900lb, 2 cylinder bikes...  :wink:

I agree.

60Gunner

S&S 570s. Look at those specs and the 555s. Put them in my stock '13 heritage and did great. Did the .030 and even better. 200 ccp. 190 ccp before the gasket change. Then did a 30 tooth solid sprocket cuz I'm an rpm junkie and just ride the 2 lane twisties.