April 26, 2024, 10:31:13 AM

News:

Rocker Arm Question

Started by Propflux01, September 24, 2020, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

Have you tried swapping lifters front to back, see if the tapping moves with?

Also measured pushrod length?

Propflux01

I have not swapped lifters. I figured if I go that far I would just replace them, have said that, this was why I went with the S&S premium ones.

I do not remember the exact measurements, except that I ordered both .020 longer than what I had.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

roadkingdresser

been goin thru the same thing with my front head 103. took the cover off and turned the motor over to tdc. the intake valve spring collar was so close i couldn't get a feelers gauge in there. took apart and ground the rocker box around the holdown boss and  the noise disappeared. good luck!
roadkingdresser

Propflux01

Thank you! Something else to check!

kd

It is worth checking. I had an evo rocker cover that would deform when hot and the clacking was unbearable.  There were no real witness marks in the hard chrome but what appeared like a black smudge.  A slight touch with a dremel (just enough to go the depth of the chrome) and it was church mouse quiet.
KD

Propflux01

Even with the beehive springs, since the are smaller collars at the top?

kd

Quote from: Propflux01 on October 15, 2020, 06:20:19 AM

If that question was meant for me, I was referring to rocker "cover" contact from the rocker arm.
KD

FXDBI

Quote from: kd on October 15, 2020, 07:04:23 AM
Quote from: Propflux01 on October 15, 2020, 06:20:19 AM

If that question was meant for me, I was referring to rocker "cover" contact from the rocker arm.

I check there with clay and the bottom rocker box for clearance with feeler gauges and die grinder has required. Did a little grinding on my stock covers for S&S 585 with 1.9/1.6 valve heads done for 600 lift.
Comp cams lifters with stock pushrods. Valve train is quiet.  Noise carries in these engines and it dont take much to make it some times.   Bob

chaos901

A question for my continuing education, should anybody know. 

If the rocker is hitting the bottom of the cover, would you be able to feel it with say say a finger on top of the cover and the engine at idle?         I would think you could.

"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

kd

A rocker can make a hell of a racket and just barely be making contact.  That was my experience.  There was no witness mark so it went back together.  After a couple hundred miles the cover came off again and a light smudge (no dent) was barely noticeable.  A slight buff through the chrome was all it took to clear the rocker and become whisper quiet.  BTW, it was a front intake.
KD

FXDBI

Quote from: chaos901 on October 15, 2020, 12:36:19 PM
A question for my continuing education, should anybody know. 

If the rocker is hitting the bottom of the cover, would you be able to feel it with say say a finger on top of the cover and the engine at idle?         I would think you could.

My lower cover was making contact/ to close in the corners with the spring compressed . Wasnt the rocker that was the problem.  Bob

roadkingdresser

I've got s/e heads on mine. there was no clearance. worth the time to check at least that will be off the list.
roadkingdresser

Scooter Trash

I have a set of S&S heads, new fueling lifters, gear drive 551 cams and rocker lockers in a 2010 Ultra. Could there be this same issue happening with it? Very loud ticking. I would have thought it would have had less mechanical noise.

FXDBI

Quote from: Scooter Trash on October 20, 2020, 06:45:37 AM
I have a set of S&S heads, new fueling lifters, gear drive 551 cams and rocker lockers in a 2010 Ultra. Could there be this same issue happening with it? Very loud ticking. I would have thought it would have had less mechanical noise.

You will never know without checking.  Checking for clearance or interference is all part of a proper engine checks before assembly, both my lower boxes needed to be ground to attain clearance in the corners.  Bob