April 18, 2024, 04:00:39 PM

News:

Cam chain stretch?

Started by DresserDan, October 11, 2020, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DresserDan

Re done my bearings and pads with cyco pads. Getting a lot of noise from the cam area. Pretty quite 2,000 rpms and under. Really starts screaming like lifters but I can hear in the cam cover are with  my sethescope. I asked a HD tech and he said the chains will stretch. Any one have any input? only 3,000 miles since all new bearings and pads.

roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

smoserx1

I don't know how much the roller chains stretch but those old silent type (99-06) stretch big time from personal experience.  Glad I went with conversion cams.

pauly

Hi Dresserdan,
Did you shim the sprockets so they line up well? That can cause some noise and it's worth addressing if you didn't.
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: DresserDan on October 11, 2020, 04:14:37 PM
Re done my bearings and pads with cyco pads. Getting a lot of noise from the cam area. Pretty quite 2,000 rpms and under. Really starts screaming like lifters but I can hear in the cam cover are with  my sethescope. I asked a HD tech and he said the chains will stretch. Any one have any input? only 3,000 miles since all new bearings and pads.

DresserDan

The noise didnt really start to get real bad until I had about 3,000 miles on it. It sounds just like all the lifters are bad when ever the motor gets over 2,000 RPM's. I put a Stethoscope on it and the cam cover is where the noise is coming from. I will get into it this winter and will go with the 07 set up.

Beave

I had a similar experience on my 05 RK with the hybrid set up. It turned out to be the secondary chain.  I replaced the original no name chain with a Morse branded one I found on E-bay, no more noise.
With speed comes stability.

Hillside Motorcycle

Morse Chain manufactured the OE's.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"