April 16, 2024, 10:21:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Using riser extensions under t-bars.

Started by 838, October 15, 2020, 01:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just installed a set of tbars on my softail and The cable set that I purchased has about 6 inches of extra play. They're already installed and running on the bike but they don't look very good because of all the extra cable.

I was thinking instead of running all new cables I could use riser extensions underneath the T bars to bring the bars of a few more inches and get some of the play out of the cables. Can this be done? Is it structurally safe to extend the bars this way? DK customs makes a 3 inch extension that looks like it would work perfectly, I just want to be sure.

Thanks

calif phil

I have used the Wild 1 and LA choppers 2" extensions with no issues.   3" might be more than I am comfortable with. 

Dime

I ran 2" extensions also on the t bars I had on my honda with zero issues. I also had the bushings replaced with solid bushings. If you are going with a 3" extension I would definitely go the solid riser bushing route.

Other than that you will know real quick what kind of flex you are looking at once you get it together. Probably know just sitting on the bike and turning/pushing the bars.

One other thing to consider doing with the riser extensions. I had this done to the ones I had and it worked really well. There will be a bit of slack between the inside of the riser extension and the bolt that goes through there. What I had my buddy who is a machinist do is sleve the inside of the riser extension to take up the slack and provide a slip fit between the bolt and the extension. This stiffens up the whole setup.

Deye76

I have 2" riser extensions in addition to 8" risers on my FXR, no rubber bushings in the triple tree's. Rock solid and no vibration, couple years now. I'm on the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway fairly often, pushing and pulling on the short MX bars attached, and so far OK.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP