April 18, 2024, 08:40:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ultima cases early vs later

Started by tdrglide, October 17, 2020, 10:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

I want to replace the cases on a 92 fxr, black cases, stock bore. 92-up seem to be back ordered, I'm told 8 weeks. 84-91 cases are available in stock. Besides oil pump, are there other differences with the ultima cases? From pictures they look same
Thanks 

tdrglide

I would like to reuse the crankshaft assembly and 92 nose cone and oil filter mounting from the 92 and set up as bottom breather like a 92.

Dan89flstc

October 18, 2020, 08:17:53 AM #2 Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:22:29 AM by Dan89flstc
I think they are making an error here, since `92 engines were originally configured as case breathers.

Their callout for`92 and up would put the `92 cases in the wrong group (head breathers).

1984-1992 Case breathers

1993 and later Head Breathers
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

kd

Maybe end of the run, use it up as usual.
KD

xlfan

They did come with a new oil pump and a new oil filter bracket in -92, other than that, the -92 cases were identical to the 84-91 cases AFAIK.

tdrglide

I guess what I'm looking to make sure of is does the 84-91 right side ultima case come with threaded bosses for mounting 92 and later oil filter. From their Internet  pictures they do but..  Also is there anything else I'm forgetting.
Ultima cases and new oil pump is still cheaper than the other major manufacturer cases

Scotty

92 up cases and oil pump are different to 91 down cases and oil pump
The 92 although still a bottom breather has the heads capable of being breathers but is not utilised that way.
Some late 92 bikes came as head breathers according to some people but never seen one personally.
If you use 91 down Ultima cases you will have to use a early oil pump but most everything else will fit.

tdrglide

Thanks. Yes, the heads are capable of being head breathing. It also has rocker boxes for head breathing. Head breathing is just blocked off by the air cleaner mounting (s&s) and needing the umbrellas but will probably keep as case breathing.
Cases weep currently in a couple places and the breather gear bore looks like it ate something that didn't agree with it sometime in the past. I  replaced the breather gear anyways awhile back. It actually runs really good. Ev27 cam, decked heads, I  just don't trust it on a long trip. I've seen one crack.

JW113

I went through this very thing with my '92. Whether you go with early or later type case, a bit of advice: GET THE ULTIMA OIL PUMP ALSO. I re-used my stock '92 pump, and fought long and hard trying to figure out why it would not make any oil pressure. Ultima "tech support" was totally useless. In the end I bought the corresponding pump, and like magic the problem went away.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,107207.0.html

By the way, another free opinion: The case mounted oil filter with the hard lines is a total PITA to deal with.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

tdrglide

lumberjacklloyd

Quote from: JW113 on October 19, 2020, 11:12:44 AM
I went through this very thing with my '92. Whether you go with early or later type case, a bit of advice: GET THE ULTIMA OIL PUMP ALSO. I re-used my stock '92 pump, and fought long and hard trying to figure out why it would not make any oil pressure. Ultima "tech support" was totally useless. In the end I bought the corresponding pump, and like magic the problem went away.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,107207.0.html

By the way, another free opinion: The case mounted oil filter with the hard lines is a total PITA to deal with.

-JW

what is wrong with the case mounted oil filter? I've installed 2 on s&s motors and it is rather straight forward...