April 23, 2024, 12:17:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacement lifters

Started by Rodman, October 18, 2020, 07:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodman

So after 35k on a set a B lifters riding on TW26 in an otherwise stock 2001/ 88 I have one lifter that leaks down when the engine parks a loaded valve spring on it. Nothing like pushing it out of the garage and hitting the start button only to listen to the thing bang while waiting for it to pump back up!..... :cry: Embarrassing to say the least.....
Did a search to see what the flavor of the month is for replacements, but the hits were old.
Haven't bought any parts in a while either, so if you can throw some what/where to buy advice up I could use it!
I do want to leave the stock pushrods in there......just looking for lifters, chain tensioners, gaskets, and  I didn't say EARL!...lol

Leed

I'd give California Phil a call for one stop shopping and great prices.

Ohio HD

October 18, 2020, 08:26:16 AM #2 Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:51:15 AM by Ohio HD
'B' lifters? I'd take them apart, clean them out, put adjustable push rods in.

PC_Hater

I have the AMS Johnson Hylift lifters, been in there for 13 years. No problems.
That 'leak-down' thing they are meant to do when you are rebuilding the top-end - I had to contact AMS because I thought there was something wrong - they would NOT leak-down!
Fitted in a 99 88" TC with 21G cams.

https://amsmotomachine.com/index.php/main-harley-parts
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Ironpig9

I replaced the lifters on my 2001 Ultra a few years ago before taking a cross county trip. I went with Fueling on the advice of the Indy who was prepping the bike for the ride. That was 2.5 years ago and so far no problems. It does hurt to hear the commotion while the lifter pumps up. :emsad:
"The road goes on forever...."

motorhogman

I'm trying to sort out that same problem with a set of Johnson Hylifts I installed this January with now 2,500 mi on them.. 01 FLHT

Something in the back of my head keeps whispering just replace them with S& S.

Back in my shovel head days I used pretty much S&S everything.. had very good experiences with their stuff..

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

safetyfifth

Ive had good luck with both S&S and feuling lifters. I dont think you can go wrong with any brand lifter from a reputable company.
A few years ago trying to save a buck I ran chevy lifters from a large chain auto parts store. That was a mistake...