April 23, 2024, 12:15:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Are performance valve spring kits on M8s noisier than stock

Started by Ronbo2, October 20, 2020, 10:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronbo2

I blew something in my 2017 M8 and it sounds like a bucket of bolts.  The shop is tearing it down tomorrow and my question is should I go ahead and have them install performance grade valve springs, push rods or whatever while they repair it?  And do performance springs, rockers, whatever make more noise than stock?

I have a wood 22x cam in it and run above 5k rpm fairly often.  It has 30k miles on it.  Just want to educate myself about options before the dealer calls.

Any suggestions, thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
Ron

Don D

The springs go the gamut. Many commercially sold springs at handsome prices are excessive in rate and pressure.
A spring rate of 200 is all I like to use maximum.

Ronbo2

Quote from: Ronbo2 on October 20, 2020, 10:01:51 AM
I blew something in my 2017 M8 and it sounds like a bucket of bolts.  The shop is tearing it down tomorrow and my question is should I go ahead and have them install performance grade valve springs, push rods or whatever while they repair it?  And do performance springs, rockers, whatever make more noise than stock?

I have a wood 22x cam in it and run above 5k rpm fairly often.  It has 30k miles on it.  Just want to educate myself about options before the dealer calls.

Thanks,
Ron

Well, the decision on new rocker springs was made for me.  Dealer said they found a broken spring and bent push rod. They also said my other springs were in poor shape.  So I told them to go ahead and put in the higher performance SE springs and SE lifters.  I think the springs are rated at 208 so that should be ok.

They're also going to replace my old pump with the new 2020 8 lobe model and a new cam all under warranty even though my cam, tuner, A/C and mufflers are all non harley.  I made that clear when I extended my warranty and thankfully they stood by it.

Since I ride hard and do a lot of long highway trips I'm wondering if oil sumping might of contributed to the failure at 30k miles but hopefully the new pump removes all those worries.
Ron

Nastytls

Sounds like you have a good dealer. Stick with them, they are few and far between.

Ronbo2

Quote from: Ronbo2 on October 20, 2020, 10:01:51 AM

Thanks,
Ron

UPDATE:  I went ahead and replaced my stock valve springs with SE springs.  I do seem to hear more valve noise now especially right around 2000 rpm.  But given that one of my stock springs broke at 30k miles and I have a 22x cam and run above 5k rpm fairly frequently, I think I made the right choice for me.

They also replaced my push rods, rocker arms, and some plastic guides with metal ones, so the bit more clicking sound might not be due solely to the springs.

Hossamania

Glad to hear you're back on the road. Now get out there and pound on that thing!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ronbo2

Quote from: Hossamania on November 16, 2020, 04:07:33 AM
Glad to hear you're back on the road. Now get out there and pound on that thing!

I hear ya, but I have to admit I'm going to be a bit more hesitant running up to the redline. At least for a little while.

Don D

The springs are not noisy. The added pressure compresses lifters and causes lash. The SE springs are very stout.