April 18, 2024, 06:56:00 PM

News:

New Old Guy

Started by Snakeoleo, October 21, 2020, 05:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snakeoleo

Hi,

I found this site thru another forum after I whined about the HD forum I found being pretty useless when it came to wrenching and such. He spoke very highly of this forum.

I've been wrenching since I could hold a wrench. Never did it for a living, which is why I probably still like it. Background is engineering and am also a formally trained machinist. Own mostly vintage bikes, but do own one modern HD, a 2001 FI Fatboy.

Bike was starting very hard. No real previous FI experience so did some research and that coupled with insight from my cousin who was a lifelong car mechanic for a living, figured it was a fuel pressure issue. More research sent me inside the tank. Found not 1 but 3 holes worn thru the corrugated fuel line between the check valve and the regulator. Bought a new check valve (ouch!) since the fuel line is not available separately (damn Harley) and problem solved. But that did not solve why the holes wore thru the line. So, came up with a fix/preventative to hopefully make the new line last forever.

Also figured out a way to make an inexpensive fuel pressure gauge adapter.

Bike is put away for the winter. But will share my recent adventures in the appropriate Twin Cam section shortly. Still have to actually build the fuel pressure gauge adapter. But that is just a matter of picking up some fuel injection tubing and a few clamps. The adapter will allow you to use any decent fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure on your FI Harley.

Stay tuned...
Rob

rigidthumper

Welcome to the forum from South of Kansas City.   Most split the old hose and wrap it around the new hose to act as a shield against rubbing through( which is what causes the holes)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

SixShooter14

Howdy, welcome from Central Montana
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Ohio HD

Pete_Vit

:up: welcome from another old guy - from Arkansas, tons of great info and folks here keeps me here  :wink:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Fugawee

Hello, and Welcome from Another Old Guy in the Northeast USA.

Leed

Welcome from yet another old guy in Texas...

harttoo

Welcome from Wisconsin.