March 28, 2024, 07:25:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dyna Fork Service - Impact Wrench?

Started by Rusticwater, November 01, 2020, 01:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticwater

2010 FXDC

I'm preparing to service my front forks. To remove the old seat pipe screw at the bottom of the fork, is it recommended to use an impact wrench? I've never used one.

The only time the forks were apart was when the dealer installed chrome lowers prior to original delivery to me back in 2010. The spec calls for blue Loctite and 30-36 ft-lbs torque but it's anyone's guess what the dealer did.

I've been doing a lot of reading along with watching videos, yet thought it best to ask...

Thank you for any advice!
Support the Maine lobster industry

Coyote

Use my paddle impact and they usually zip right out. Once in awhile I use a bigger impact. I just hang onto the fork when pulling the screw.

smoserx1

Most of the times I have taken forks apart on anything I have needed one.  I did manage to get the forks apart on an old gold wing once without one but ended up rounding out one of the Allen bolts.  I now have an electric impact wrench.  I have done my FLHT forks and wouldn't even think of proceeding without one now.

Rusticwater

Thank you for the replies!

Is a paddle impact another name for a butterfly impact? Trying to learn the lingo.

Also, would an electric impact driver with 2,200 in-lbs of torque be enough? Home Depot has a sale on a Ryobi 1/4" brushless one that uses the same battery as a couple of my other Ryobi tools. link

I don't know if my air compressor would work for an air impact tool. I've made it this far working on the bike, including the compensator, avoiding impact tools.

PoorUB

Pretty much any air compressor will run an impact, how long is the question.

That 1/4" Ryobi would probably do it. The crew is not that large and the impact hammering on it does most of the work. I have a similar Rigid model and I am surprised what it will do.

this one will definitely do it, plus other bigger wardware and it will match up with you other batteries.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-3-Speed-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-Kit-with-1-4-0-Ah-Battery-18-Volt-Charger-and-Bag-P1833/302648209
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

If I'm not mistaken, those are the smaller Cap Screws. Someone just holding the Slider will do with a 3/8" Ratchet. The Larger ones on the 14 and later require an Impact of sorts most times and a special Tool Bit.
Tom

Rusticwater

Thank you for the replies. For the time being I picked up the 1/4" impact, primarily because of cost. I've already had a substantial outlay for other tools for this project.