March 28, 2024, 10:59:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Speedo dead

Started by Barc, October 22, 2020, 12:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barc

Alright, I never post just read and learn. And yes I've searched everything.

My brothers (Was dads) 01 flsts carb bike with tssm. Speedo has been dead since probably 07. Had to tear down tranny for shift seal new seals everywhere. Tore it back apart for 5th gear seal (our fault put the seal in before stabbing the cassette back in) again. Then again for big seal... didn't replace the spacer. New neutral switch and speed sensor. The speedo still didn't work. Ok fine new speedo time. New from Drag but had loose screws inside. Sent back for replacement. Installed and still no speedo. Lights up. Goes through ignition on (stutter for lack of better words) sequence.

So is the tssm a problem? Turn signals do not self cancel. Security is sometimes a issue. This is the old proximity with the push button. Don't care about the odometer read out he'll never sell it. I'm at a loss but haven't ohm'd the wires. And the new neutral light switch didn't work and put the old back it and worked fine except it shows neutral in neutral and 5th gear. Am I missing something? Is it down to wire issues?

Coyote

Looking at the wiring for that bike, I don't think the TSSM will have anything to do with the speedo working. Looks like it's just the speedo, the speed sensor and the three wires between them.

02fxst

Same issues on my brothers bike (03 flstc carb bike), speedometer didnt work and signals wouldnt self cancel. Speed sensor solved the problems. Is it possible to check your new speed sensor to see if you may have gotten a bad one?

Scotty

Quote from: Coyote on October 22, 2020, 12:36:46 PM
Looking at the wiring for that bike, I don't think the TSSM will have anything to do with the speedo working. Looks like it's just the speedo, the speed sensor and the three wires between them.

:agree: the only thing you need to get the speedo working is the 3 wires from the speed sensor and power to the speedo.
There are other connections but they are for other lights in there and should not stop the speedo from working.

Barc

What may the test be? Ohm the speed sensor? Y'all got any numbers pass/fail? Sucks the oil bag has to come out to remove and like I said it's new. Guess it wouldn't be the first time getting a bad part. All parts except the speedo are Harley.

Scotty

Check for voltage at the speed sensor and check the ground as well.

[attach=0]

fleetmechanic

We had a 2001 FLHTP with an erratic and then dead speedo.  Turned out the white wire running from the sensor to the front end was pinched by the clamp on the frame neck.

Scotty

Quote from: Barc on October 22, 2020, 04:44:04 PM
Sucks the oil bag has to come out to remove

No you can get to it through the splash guard in front of the rear wheel by removing a few allen bolts

88b

Quote from: Scotty on October 22, 2020, 10:35:11 PM
Quote from: Barc on October 22, 2020, 04:44:04 PM
Sucks the oil bag has to come out to remove

No you can get to it through the splash guard in front of the rear wheel by removing a few allen bolts

Just done one on am 01 FLSTC and that's exactly how I did it .

Barc

Thanks for the leads fellas. I'll post up the results.

Eglider05

Barrett

My Brothers 2001 Fatboy lost the speedo and turn signals after being washed. A shot of WD40 into the ignition switch took care of it.