May 07, 2024, 04:21:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ignition coils

Started by oldskool, June 28, 2023, 10:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

Hey, Guys bikes been running  great . Clutch is all good. But now I'll be riding and I get a Miss and bike gets louder and there's a loss of power. Possibly drop a cylinder? It will like go away smooth out and ru. Great. Then it will do it again Miss get louder and a loss of power.i noticed there's a crack on coil where top bolt is. Wondering if that where the issue lies? Bike is ru ni g a crane Hi4 ignition. And a 3 wire coil which I think is a 3 ohm. We'll I get 2.9 ohm readng from positive to negative on coil. I have another 2 wire 3 ohm coil. Ignition my question is can I use this coil ? Obviously wiring is a bit different.

capn

3 wire is single fire.2 wire is dual fire.should work if you set the ignition to dual fire.

oldskool

That's what I thought.  I just looked at ignition and it says single fire and there's no switch to change.

hrdtail78

If it is cracked.  Replace it.  It will leave you stranded.
Semper Fi

Deye76

How old is the Hi 4? I've had 2 fail, that exhibited the same symptoms. Hope it's only a coil, less$$.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

oldskool

It's real old. Built this bike for my best friend maybe 25 yrs ago.im gonna start with the coil. 🤞 was out tonight and it started to miss we pulled over so my wife could look at her phone so we shut the bikes off. Just a few minutes. Started them up and The shovel Ran great for probably 15 Mike's or so then we stopped to have dinner. We left there it ran great for probably another 15 miles then started acting up again. Pulled into gas station to fill up. Started up left there was fine for about a mile then started acting up all the way home probably 20 miles.

crock

Quote from: Deye76 on June 28, 2023, 04:04:47 PMHow old is the Hi 4? I've had 2 fail, that exhibited the same symptoms. Hope it's only a coil, less$$.

Had one fail. Thought it was a fuel problem then replaced the coil still no good. Mine would actually die.   then after 10 or 15 minutes fire back up. "Couldn't be the module, its not very old" I kept telling my self. I went back to points( motor is of 1973 vintage ) and NEVER looked back
Crock

oldskool

Getting a coil today. If that's not it I may go back to points. I don't want to spend a 3 or 400 for ignition.

capn

June 29, 2023, 05:39:40 AM #8 Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 09:10:29 AM by FSG
Check out ultima ignition.way cheaper than 3 or 4 bills.they can use single or dual fire. My 20 yr. Old crane also failed.just would not run right.

bump

I have had points for years, the problem is the advance unit wears out a lot faster than the points do. That is why I am looking at eletronic ignition that doesn't use the stock advance unit.

Deye76

capn gives good advice on the Ultima. Get the adjustable one (single/dual fire) same as a Dyna ign. The kit has ign. and coil for a decent price. I've been running one for 4 years.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

oldskool

OK guys well-lit wasn't the coil. Was fine on the way home about 20 miles. Left again got  a couple miles and it started acting up. On the way home last night it started acting up and I wiggled the ignition switch and sure enough it straightened out. I did this a couple times on the way home as it was fine then started to act up. So down the road about 2 miles it was acting up as we pulled up to the corner I wiggled ignition switch it cleared up and it was fine the 2 miles home. Also it seems if I shut it off then restart it fine until it does it again. Now I'm wondering if it's the switch.

nibroc

:idea:

kinda looks like the switch

capn

July 01, 2023, 09:41:44 AM #13 Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 12:44:26 PM by FSG
When we ride this old iron there is always something to deal with. Im messin with my 76 as we speak. They always seem to get us home though.

crock

I once had an issue when I would turn right the bike would cut out. Found what I call a bullet connector behind the headlight coming from the kill switch bad.
Crock

oldskool

Well guys it's definitely the ignition switch. Got a new one on the way