March 28, 2024, 10:20:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New tune required after slip-on swap?

Started by Jim Bronson, October 24, 2020, 03:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I'm thinking of swapping my slip-ons for a little more bark. I'm currently running Kury crusher mellows. I had the bike dyno tuned a couple of years ago, and I'm wondering if I would need a new tune after a swap. Also, recommendations welcome.

2015 RK, SE Tire shredder stage 4.

Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

rigidthumper

I'd have it spot checked, as there will be some change in airflow.
I'll wager a loss across the board. 
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pull the "mellow" plugs out. iirc they are not "supposed" to affect flow of the mufflers, just quiet them down... 

Jim Bronson

Quote from: 838 on October 24, 2020, 04:39:22 PM
Pull the "mellow" plugs out. iirc they are not "supposed" to affect flow of the mufflers, just quiet them down...
Interesting thought. Now I need to find them.

98fxstc

You got advice from one of the most knowledgeable guys on the site
Whether you pull plugs out or not, you should be checking the tune
not hard to check it yourself to see what is going on before you take it to an expert

Jim Bronson

Thanks for the input. Once I decide on the mufflers, I'll give my tuner a call and see what he thinks. Maybe I'll just buy them from him for convenience.

harpwrench

Quote from: 838 on October 24, 2020, 04:39:22 PM

See Reply #51: http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,50440.msg533233.html#msg533233

The cores are different, removing the plugs will create a turbulent area that could mess up the torque curve. If you pulled the packing off you'd see what I'm talking about

I wouldn't ruin those mufflers, you may want to put it back how it was. I'd either find some standard cores or put on some Rinehart 4", or do fullsac cores in cvo cans

Jim Bronson