March 28, 2024, 03:35:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Heat resistant tape

Started by Jim Bronson, October 30, 2020, 10:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Two of my V&H heat shields are clanking where they overlap. Is there something that I can insert between them that will stop it and won't be destroyed by heat?

Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

chaos901

Just thinking, if you put something between them it seems like that would just wear thru fairly quickly and it is really only treating the symptom.  Can you bend/modify/relieve one of the ends of the shields (such as the one that is underneath); in order to relieve the conflict.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Jim Bronson

You're probably right. I'm just worried that I could crease them and wind up with a mess. I was hoping I could just slip something between them that wouldn't make a mess when it heats up and yet be thick enough to dampen the banging.

Rusticwater

Support the Maine lobster industry

kd

Quote from: Jim Bronson on October 30, 2020, 11:57:06 AM
You're probably right. I'm just worried that I could crease them and wind up with a mess. I was hoping I could just slip something between them that wouldn't make a mess when it heats up and yet be thick enough to dampen the banging.

:agree:

It's likely the band under the heat shield is deformed.  A slight tweak to the lower one to tighten the grip should pull it lower. Likewise a bit of the opposite to open up the band clearance on the top fitting piece should cause it to fit taller.  A little as described on both would be my choice so as to not cause any damage. I expect that adding material and running it hot for a while could cause stress that will also open up the gap and allow you to remove it later after it has re-settled..
KD

Jim Bronson

Thanks for the tips guys. I like the leather idea.

Rusticwater

Maybe a leather shoelace, couple of wraps and tie it off. Or maybe use it to try to pull/bend heat shield? Don't know, just brainstorming...
Support the Maine lobster industry

FSG

Quote from: Rusticwater on October 30, 2020, 12:00:16 PM
Try a piece of leather?

use part of a  ty-wrap , thickness and colour are various

Jim Bronson

Another good idea. Color doesn't matter, as it won't be seen. I just wonder how much heat they can take.

PoorUB

You should be able to tweek the heat shields, bend them a bit, or bend the mounts a bit so they quit rubbing.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

76shuvlinoff

We use Scotch 27 fiberglass woven electrical tape in high temp applications. Holds up pretty well. You might be able to roll it up inside-out and wedge it between your rattling shields

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/Scotch-Glass-Cloth-Electrical-Tape-27/?N=5002385+3294280636&rt=rud
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

mkd

jim! if the shields have the clamps relatively close to the joint that is rattling i would take the inner shield and raise the flange that holds the clamp . if that's not enough you could lower the clamp flange on the outer shield. or do the opposite to gain enough clearance so they don't rattle at all. you could always shim under either clamp between the clamp and pipe with tin foil or beer can aluminum to reduce or gain whatever elliminates the rattle

Sycho01

Check the clamps that hold the shields to the pipes. They are just hose clamps and may need tightening or to be replaced. You may even get away with lubricating the worm gear on the clamp and then reinstalling the clamp.

kd

I'm in the fix the strap camp.  Using a shim or stuffing something in there that will eventually fail is not IMO a repair.  It's the kind of thing you do to get yourself home.  When the straps on the shield are properly formed there is no problem.  That should be your goal.  :wink:
KD

Jim Bronson

I worked on it this afternoon. The 'power cell' shield uses two clamps - one on the upper left and another on the lower right. I discovered that if they are tightened exactly right, they exert some bending on the shield that appears to inhibit the clanking. I'll be taking about 100 mile lunch ride with the gang tomorrow so I will check it out.

Thanks for the tips; I may need them yet.