April 27, 2024, 01:05:43 PM

News:

Dyna Fork Service - Seat Pipe Screw Torque?

Started by Rusticwater, October 30, 2020, 02:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticwater

2010 FXDC

I'm preparing to service my front forks. I'm concerned about what torque value I should use for the fork seat pipe screw. Normally I just follow the FSM for my model year, however, after being burned by it a couple of years ago changing my shifter shaft seal, I've since come across several other FSMs and compare their procedures before starting a project.

I'm confused as to why there is such a wide discrepancy in the torque value for the front fork seat pipe screw over the years. First low, then high, then low again, then high again. Some values triple other years, some with Loctite, others none.

The torque values in the following chart are from my service manuals and double checked with the torque charts in the forum "section". The Dyna forks are the same over those years (with the exception of the Switchback, of course).

Anyone know why there's such a large discrepancy? I didn't find any service bulletins addressing this. I was planning on using the 2016 torque and Loctite info as it's the most recent.

Thank you for any comments.

[attach=0]
Support the Maine lobster industry

Scotty

October 30, 2020, 03:37:54 PM #1 Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:11:17 PM by Scotty
Can't answer your question as to why so many different torque values but I use Loctite 565 regardless on all the bottom fork screws that I do. I just do them up good and tight and don't even bother with a torque wrench on them.

Coyote

A little blue loctite and tighten good with the air paddle. Never used a TQ wrench on these either.  It was the way Jim always did it and that's who taught me so...

Rusticwater

Support the Maine lobster industry

rigidthumper

Early dyna used a 6mm bolt, so TQ of 9-14 lbF sounds right.
Late (2006 and newer) used a 10-12 mm bolt, so more TQ (30 ish)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?