April 19, 2024, 04:14:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Carburetor options

Started by bouncingVman, November 05, 2020, 11:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncingVman

I'm considering my options for carburetors on a MM to carb conversion. Considering either a new stock CV carb and finding all the other required parts on my own, or a kit from S&S Performance with what looks like everything needed to do the job. Thoughts on either would be appreciated.

Engine might be upgraded to a 103, but will likely to remain a 95.

Thanks in advance.

Tsv
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

jsachs1

Use a 45 MM. Mikuni. You'll be glad you did. Works with stock cables and a SE intake manifold also. You will need their choke cable, and air cleaner push on adaptor for most 3 bolt air cleaner backing plates.
John

PC_Hater

Mikuni 42mm or 45mm.
Unless you get one of the cheap Chinese CV copies the Mikuni is probably the best bet unless you can find a proper CV carb for a good price.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

bouncingVman

November 06, 2020, 05:41:32 AM #3 Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 06:58:20 AM by bouncingVman
Quote from: jsachs1 on November 05, 2020, 02:01:54 PM
You will need their choke cable, and air cleaner push on adaptor for most 3 bolt air cleaner backing plates.

Like in this kit?

https://www.zippersperformance.com/mikuni-hsr-4245total/

Edit: I should mention this motor is currently a 95" with Andrews TW26 cams and ported heads. What sized Mikuni HSR would be idea for 95" and/or possibly 103" if I decide to go that direction?

Thank you for the replies.

Tsv
"Todd"

RTMike

bouncingVman

Will Minikuni HSR compensate for altitude changes?

Tsv
"Todd"

Don D

No compensation. My suggestion if you have plans to go to a 103 any time soon find a CV44, second choice CV40 that hasn't been modified. Best choice IMO is Delphi 2002-2005 take off and modify other components for an EFI retrofit, not for the "Easy Button" guys but a better ultimate solution. Dan Thayer in NY can help, also Ebay.

HogMike

Quote from: bouncingVman on November 06, 2020, 05:41:32 AM
Quote from: jsachs1 on November 05, 2020, 02:01:54 PM
You will need their choke cable, and air cleaner push on adaptor for most 3 bolt air cleaner backing plates.

Like in this kit?

https://www.zippersperformance.com/mikuni-hsr-4245total/

Edit: I should mention this motor is currently a 95" with Andrews TW26 cams and ported heads. What sized Mikuni HSR would be idea for 95" and/or possibly 103" if I decide to go that direction?

Thank you for the replies.

Tsv

That's the same setup I have on my 2000 twincam
42 mikuni off Amazon, played with the jets a little and the bike runs very smooth from below sea level to 6000 ft in my area.
Running DTT ignition and slip on mufflers.
Very nice road manners.
JMHO :scoot:

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Don D

Begs the question is compensation for altitude really needed? The carburetion system is crude, all of them compared to EFI and if it works well then why not a MIK or CV? The CV altitude compensation is crude at best .

bouncingVman

More than likely not an issue unless I decide to visit family in Wyoming and Montana. Iowa is about 1000 - 1500 ft. A main jet change could be done easy enough I suppose.

Tsv
"Todd"

Don D

You won't need to change jets once right at or near sea level. Pilot is in play most of the time

Bsmith153

Im not an expert by any means but i did a lot of research on carbs when i put the 124 in my 04 bagger.  I came to believe that the CV carbs are the better all around carbs if, ill repeat this "If" the person building it knows what they are doing. I had Bob Woods build my  se 51mm and it has great throttle response and runs great. I willl say i had an S&S super E i believe, its been a while, and a 42 mikuni on my 95" Headquarters build and the Mikuni made the build run better than the S&S did, but your mileage will be worse but i didnt build it for mileage.  Nor will I ever build a motor for Mileage. Jusr my 2 cents.
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

Deye76

November 08, 2020, 06:43:35 AM #12 Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:56:47 AM by Deye76
From 1970 up to 2004, myself and the friends who traveled together went all over the United States with carbs, jetted in Michigan, and not once did anyone re-jet, even climbing Pikes Peak. Unless you're racing it's a non issue IME. The carbs in play were Bendix, Tillotson, SU, S&S, CV, Mikuni.
Edit: In 2004 with fuel injection, 3 injected brand new 2004 bikes, climbing Mt.Washington, with those ridiculous dealer downloads (good FI tuners were few and far between then), spark knocked like crazy, while the only bike with a carb (S&S), went to the top without a peep. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

wfolarry

Quote from: Deye76 on November 08, 2020, 06:43:35 AM
From 1970 up to 2004, myself and the friends who traveled together went all over the United States with carbs, jetted in Michigan, and not once did anyone re-jet, even climbing Pikes Peak. Unless you're racing it's a non issue IME. The carbs in play were Bendix, Tillotson, SU, S&S, CV, Mikuni.
Edit: In 2004 with fuel injection, 3 injected brand new 2004 bikes, climbing Mt.Washington, with those ridiculous dealer downloads (good FI tuners were few and far between then), spark knocked like crazy, while the only bike with a carb (S&S), went to the top without a peep.
That's been my experience as well. Never had a problem & I'm still running a carb.

hattitude

On my 1980 FXS, I had an SU carb.. I had a cam too, but forgot which one, that was a lifetime ago...

The bike was tuned in San Diego,CA at pretty much sea level. I lived by the beach.

For about 7 years in row, a bunch of us took an annual ride each June to Yosemite, via Tioga Pass (10,000').

That bike ran great on those trips, never a hicup...

I've done that same trip sevral times on my EFI bikes. They ran well too, but I can't say they ran better...

Dogbone45ACP

I ran SU carbs on big inch shovels for years. I would like to try one one a twin cam.