April 19, 2024, 02:26:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

5 speed transmission help

Started by fxstdavew, November 11, 2020, 05:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxstdavew

I am helping out a friend. He has a 2003 Electra Glide, his clutch push rod bearing failed and now has the pushrod gauld up and seized in the trans. Also it broke the release cover. He wants to find a trans at swap meet. Are all the 5 speed gear sets interchangeable between all the models? If so what years?
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fxstdavew

Thanks, so softail and dyna gear sets are different?
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

MikeL

Different ratios. Check out this site:  http://bigboyzheadporting.com/Gearratio.htm
All the HD stock options are some popular aftermarket transmission sets

MIKE

Dan89flstc

November 11, 2020, 10:05:35 AM #4 Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:16:55 AM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: fxstdavew on November 11, 2020, 07:28:03 AM
Thanks, so softail and dyna gear sets are different?

There is no difference between gearsets from one model to another, gear ratio or otherwise.

`91 and later gearsets will interchange.

Replacing the gearset seems a bit drastic, if the mainshaft is damaged, just replace the shaft.

The same mainshaft part number was used from 1991 through 2006.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

I had a very slightly used complete gear/cassette set from an '01 Softail that I just had put into my '01 RoadKing. Original set had 115,000 hard miles, the tech said it was in surprisingly good shape, but I had him put the new one in anyway, third gear was a bit crunchy on the old one. New set works nice and smoothe.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

That's a rarity - the 5-speed is a work horse.

You can pick them up off flea-bay and other sights pretty affordable. Most people who go to the DD6 or OD6 sell them.

There are also many sites with wrecked bikes that sell whole parts as well. Rebuilding it is a waste of money. The only difference is the Case for Model applications.

If he plans on keeping it and does a lot of touring the drop in six speeds IMO are worth the money.
Tom

FSG

Quotehis clutch push rod bearing failed 

are you meaning the wafer throw out bearing ?

Quotenow has the pushrod gauld up and seized in the trans

take the derby cover off, remove the release plate then knock the pushrod out from the left side

QuoteAlso it broke the release cover

plenty around .....  cheap as chips,

fit a Baker Heavy Duty Throwout Bearing

maybee even a later release ramp(s)

fxstdavew

FSG, I tried to remove the push rod that way. I can't even get it apart from either side it welded itself together. We are thinking finding a whole used trans could be cheaper than piecing it together. Just researching the options.

Hossamania

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on November 11, 2020, 12:58:34 PM
That's a rarity - the 5-speed is a work horse.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, just wanted to clarify, third gear would occasionally "crunch" when shifting, not always, mostly under hard load and hammering for speed. Physically the gear looked fine when disassembled. This bike has been pounded on, and I would have just run it as is, but I got the gear set for free, and was having all my leaks fixed, so figured why not.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.