March 28, 2024, 08:48:48 AM

News:

Cylinder/head paint

Started by sharkoilfield, November 12, 2020, 06:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

Just about ready to do a makeover on my 1974 XLCH; is there a high temp ceramic paint I can use on the cylinders/heads to get them back to black?  I don't plan to disassemble the motor this winter; just refurbish the brakes, carb and paint tank and fenders. Will also give the running gear a very close going over.  The motor; well, I'd like to ride the bike a bunch more next season then decide if it needs to come out and go to the only guy I'd trust in Canada with an Ironhead. Sending it off to the USA is, unfortunately, NOT an option.

Buglet

Your best bet is to get High Temp paint from Harley That's seems to work the best and hold up. Over the years I've tried just about ever paint out there and away ended up going back to the Harley paint.

Burnout

It's likely that any paint you put on an assembled motor will not stay put.

Nothing looks worse to me than a respray gone wrong.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Buglet

If you take your time and prep it right you will have no problem  . The main time is taking your time and it does take time. I did a couple years back and they held up good. One of the biggest time consuming is taping ever thing off. The only thing you should take off is the top motor mount, carb, exhaust, and the pushrods.     

Hossamania

We painted a frame with the engine and most ancillary pieces still installed (minus tank and fenders), a lot of tape, a week of drinking, taping, and sanding, so you should be able to do the motor.
Prep, prep, prep.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

sharkoilfield

Is there a specific brand of brush on paint anyone's recommending?

JW113

I can't imagine any type of brushed on paint to not look awful. Buglet is on the money, get HD's Texturized Black. It ain't cheap, but it does stick and looks great.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: sharkoilfield on November 12, 2020, 06:48:16 AM
Just about ready to do a makeover on my 1974 XLCH; is there a high temp ceramic paint I can use on the cylinders/heads to get them back to black?  I don't plan to disassemble the motor this winter; just refurbish the brakes, carb and paint tank and fenders. Will also give the running gear a very close going over.  The motor; well, I'd like to ride the bike a bunch more next season then decide if it needs to come out and go to the only guy I'd trust in Canada with an Ironhead. Sending it off to the USA is, unfortunately, NOT an option.

Any automotive parts store has high-temp engine paint.
We use a satin black on most Iron XL stuff that comes thru here.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

In 45 plus years of doing this I have yet to find any paint that works and last like the Harley paint. I think I've try ever brand out there maybe I miss 1 or 2.

Hillside Motorcycle

Glass beaded to remove the loose stuff and prepped, automotive engine paint works absolutely fine.
Been using just that since the late 1970's.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

The paint in the 70's wasn't bad, what brand are you using now I might have to try it.   

bobrk1

I   had  the  heads and  cylinder  on my  bike  painted blue , I  just  went  to  speed .shop and  bought  header  paint . Worked good