April 25, 2024, 07:10:08 AM

News:

signal lite

Started by No Problem, November 12, 2020, 08:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Problem

right signal will work if i click the button  left side  works  what do i check not electrical minded

No Problem

Fugawee

Not Fully Grasping What Your Problem Is, but Start with the Cheap Way First...Check the Front and Rear Bulbs, and Sockets.

Dan89flstc

Your post makes no sense...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

I'm assuming you meant the right side will NOT work?
As stated, start with the bulbs.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

No Problem

bulbs are good hit button  right side will lite up but wont blink left side work fine

Hossamania

Generally no flash means a bulb is burned. Try removing both bulbs and check for damage, rust, water. Turn on the turn signal and wiggle the bulbs if no damage found. Look closely at the filaments, sometimes they break, but not cleanly.
If that doesn't help, start looking for frayed or damaged wires, under the rear fender, the seat, the steering head. Check the plug under the seat going to the rear fender.
Do you have a load equalizer plugged into the system?

Fugawee

Agreeing with All that Hoss Mentioned...However, You Say that the Bulbs are Good.  Without Sounding Sarcastic Here, How Do You Know That?  If You Say that the Left Side is OK...if You Haven't Already; Try Swapping the Bulbs from the Left Side to the Right Side. Same Problem?  Or, Does the Left Side Now Have a Problem?  If It Does, That Should Prove that a Bulb is No Good.  Also, Just in Case You are Unaware...the Front and Rear Turn Signals Require Two Different Type of Bulbs.  There is Also a Connector on Each Rear Signal Light that is Located Inside the Mounting Arm that is Attached to the Rear Fender.  This is Under the Assumption that it is a Stock System...not an Aftermarket LED or Non LED Set-Up.  This is Also Assuming that No Lighting Wiring Modifications Have Been Made.  If You Changed the "Stock" Bulbs to an "LED" Bulb, You May Need a Load Equalizer if One is Not Installed. 
Does the Turn Signal Indicator Light on the Inner Fairing Light Up?  Is it a Solid Light?  Or Does It Blink?
You Mentioned that You are Not Electrically Minded...But, Removing the Right Side Bulbs; and Using a Test Probe/Light at the Bulb Sockets, or Wiring Harness Connector Under the Seat, and Pushing the Right Signal Button, Could Quite Possibly Simplify this Entire Operation.
The Bulb Sockets, and Bulbs; May Have a Little Build Up of Some Type, Which Can Be Neatened Up with a Little Emory Cloth, or Small Wirebrush.  Using a Little Di-Electric Grease on the Socket, or Bulbs Upon Re-Installation Doesn't Hurt Either.  Good Luck!

PoorUB

He said the bulbs light up. I would think they are good! :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

choseneasy

His right signal only flashes if he presses and releases the turn signal button.
The left works properly.

Fugawee

November 14, 2020, 06:21:40 AM #10 Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 07:07:31 AM by Fugawee
Well, Keeping in Mind that the OP Stated He was Not Electrically Minded; I Tried to Keep it as Simple as Possible.  Without Getting Into the Checking of Switches, and Wiring Diagrams, and Using a Volt/Ohm Meter.  Sometimes the Smallest of Oversights, and Taking the Word "Good" for Granted can Prove to Be the Problem.
Maybe Someone Else with More of Their Expertise Can Try and Help the Man Out.

fleetmechanic

The plunger on the turn signal swatches are known to fail also.  We've had to replace a couple of individual T/S switches in those years.

Hossamania

Quote from: choseneasy on November 13, 2020, 07:10:04 PM
His right signal only flashes if he presses and releases the turn signal button.
The left works properly.

I didn't get the part about the right only flashing when pushed and released. It sounded more like when button pressed and released, the lights come on but don't flash, push and release again, they go off. The  classic symptom of burned out bulb. I didn't see the op say that when pushed it came on, no flash, and when released, lights go out, which is the way the old school systems worked.
Swapping bulbs one at a time, side to side, is a good troubleshoot procedure.

Fugawee

Just for Laughs...What Happens if You Try to Use the 4-Ways?  Pressing Both Turn Signal Switches at the Same Time?

kd

Are you asking Hoss?  :scratch:
KD

sfmichael

on a car if that happens and I KNOW the bulbs are good I check / swap out the flasher
Colorado Springs, CO.

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on November 14, 2020, 07:55:47 PM

Pretty sure he's asking op. Mine work fine!

Fugawee

Yes, My Question was Directed to the OP., and No...I'm Not Asking Hoss.  The Reason I Asked if He was Sure that the Bulbs are Good is a Simple One.
If You Turn Your Bike On...and The Two Front Turn Signal Lights Illuminate, Someone May Think that Their Bulbs are Good, Until They Need to Use a Turn Signal.
Pressing the Turn Signal Switch/Button May Indicate a Solid Light, on the Inner Fairing Turn Signal Indicator Light.  That Alone May Light a "Bulb" in Someone's Brain, that One of My Turn Signal Bulbs is Bad.
That is Also Why I Asked about the 4-Ways.  That May Trigger Something as Well.
I Have had Turn Signals in Cars and Pick-Up Trucks Stop Working.  My Parking Lights Were Fine...Maybe, Letting You Think that All the Bulbs are Good.   As It Turned Out, It Was a Bad #1157 Bulb.  NOTHING to Do with a Flasher.
Once Again, The OP Stated that He was Not Electrically Minded...I Tried My Best to Give Him an Easy Solution, or Two; Without Speaking or Typing at Him in an Electrical Foreign Language that He Possibly Could Not Understand, and Also Not Suggesting to Look in a Service Manual.  This Won't Happen Again.  Guaranteed.  Only Two Other Posters Went His Way, and Tried to Help.
If What I TRIED With a Possible Solution to His Problem Helped Great!  If Not...Strike 3, I'm Out.
By the Way Hoss, I'm Glad that Your Turn Signals Work.  So Do Mine.  At This Point...I Hope that the OP's Do As Well.

Hossamania

I think the 4-way emergency flasher test is a good one, easy to see what is happening with the signal bulbs.
No Problem, have you had a chance to try any of these suggestions?

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on November 15, 2020, 08:59:56 AM
Quote from: kd on November 14, 2020, 07:55:47 PM

Pretty sure he's asking op. Mine work fine!

Quote from: Fugawee on November 15, 2020, 05:36:02 PM
Yes, My Question was Directed to the OP., and No...I'm Not Asking Hoss.  The Reason I Asked if He was Sure that the Bulbs are Good is a Simple One.
If You Turn Your Bike On...and The Two Front Turn Signal Lights Illuminate, Someone May Think that Their Bulbs are Good, Until They Need to Use a Turn Signal.
Pressing the Turn Signal Switch/Button May Indicate a Solid Light, on the Inner Fairing Turn Signal Indicator Light.  That Alone May Light a "Bulb" in Someone's Brain, that One of My Turn Signal Bulbs is Bad.
That is Also Why I Asked about the 4-Ways.  That May Trigger Something as Well.
I Have had Turn Signals in Cars and Pick-Up Trucks Stop Working.  My Parking Lights Were Fine...Maybe, Letting You Think that All the Bulbs are Good.   As It Turned Out, It Was a Bad #1157 Bulb.  NOTHING to Do with a Flasher.
Once Again, The OP Stated that He was Not Electrically Minded...I Tried My Best to Give Him an Easy Solution, or Two; Without Speaking or Typing at Him in an Electrical Foreign Language that He Possibly Could Not Understand, and Also Not Suggesting to Look in a Service Manual.  This Won't Happen Again.  Guaranteed.  Only Two Other Posters Went His Way, and Tried to Help.
If What I TRIED With a Possible Solution to His Problem Helped Great!  If Not...Strike 3, I'm Out.
By the Way Hoss, I'm Glad that Your Turn Signals Work.  So Do Mine.  At This Point...I Hope that the OP's Do As Well.

Gentlemen, My comment was tongue in cheek because of the way the thread was going.  Fugawee, I hope you don't feel slighted because it wasn't intended if you do.  Your suggestions were good and valid.  It seemed to me the only thing missing in this thread was the OP.  He was absent for the most part.  All kinds of suggestions and questions were coming out without any response. I thought I could draw him back in.  :fish:  It appears that is still the case.  No OP for just about 3 days.  Maybe he fixed it.  :nix:  I didn't see much point in throwing out ideas if there is no way to know what is being done or what results are found.  Maybe he'll come back and fill us in.
KD

Hossamania

I knew what you meant kd, just being my normal wise ass self.
And as you said, no offense meant to Fagawee, just a little frustration with no feedback on some simple checks.
I actually had some issues a few years back, my security key light kept popping up on my dash, it was indicating a burned out bulb on my '01. Took me a while to stop over thinking it.

kd

Yeah, typically each bulb operation has it's own dedicated circuit.  One bad ground will change that in a hurry.  The simple tests that have been suggested have to be completed first so everyone gets an understanding of what does work.  No point in moving forward until the basics are confirmed.  Then it's one step at a time.

BTW, Hoss, I knew you would get my meaning with that wise ass remark but I didn't expect to offend Fugawee.  Nothing worse than contributing in earnest and feeling you are being ridiculed.  I guess I'll have to smarten up.  :slap:
KD

Hossamania

FSG

I guess I'll have to smarten up.  :slap:

and about time some might say   :SM:

kd

:hyst:  I'm takin that as another wise a$$ comment. Nice hit though.
KD