April 23, 2024, 10:45:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

96 to 103 on 09 road king. What is the best setup for cams and so forth

Started by colmenero85, November 12, 2020, 01:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colmenero85

Im looking for some help as far as to what setups are best going from 96 to 103

chaos901

I'm not the one to answer the question, but I do know enough that in order to get a meaningful response they will require some additional information. 

"BEST" as a description is very subjective and leaves a lot to interpretation.  Do you want what is best to be a reliable touring bike or do you want what is best to be faster than your friends, the choices really go on and on.

What are looking for from the build?

EDIT: There are lots of 103 builds described on HTT and a search may get you what you are looking for too.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Hossamania

Just to help you along, the "best" that beats your friends in a drag race and all out speed run is really the way to go. Screw that "I want to ride two up without having to downshift when going up a hill" crap.
Just sayin'.      :potstir:
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Welcome to HTT with your first post.  As said, you will get better responses and advice if you detail how you ride (or want to ride) and things like do you tour, ride 2 up loaded or do you even leave your city limits.  Good luck and the advice you get here should be top shelf.
KD

rigidthumper

Welcome to the forum. What is your "typical" riding situation?
Two up combined weight #500+, with all the crap for a vacation strapped to the sissy bar?
Solo sub #200 stoplight ripper?
How often do you hit the rev limiter?
What is your normal shifting RPM?
What does the bike not do, that you want it to do?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

colmenero85

Ok so im a state to state rider. I need speed to pull a pak without being left behind at the start. I need boost in HP and Torque. I havnt got a feel of rpms as speedo is my only gauge. In tryn to stay low to mid range pick up and go. Im a frquent high rev limit user. 80+ mph on a run. If dnt make any sense please give me your feed back. Still in the learning stage of upgrade. Stock 96

Barrett

"And so forth"
Skip the 103" and go 107" with some head work. Talk to your porter about how you ride and finding the cams that fit your needs.

Hossamania

Quote from: Barrett on November 12, 2020, 10:24:52 PM
"And so forth"
Skip the 103" and go 107" with some head work. Talk to your porter about how you ride and finding the cams that fit your needs.

That is some pretty good advice right there, a little headwork goes a long way, going 107" will keep you from saying "I wish I woulda" for a while. A myriad of cam choices, so talking with your head porter is the best place to start (some good ones in the vendor section).
Peruse the Dyno section here to get some ideas of how different cams work in different rpm ranges, that will give you some idea of where to start hopefully.
Don't forget to include some clutch work, a tuning device and proper tune in your budget (along with exhaust), the tune being as important as the parts used.

Don D

Quote from: Barrett on November 12, 2020, 10:24:52 PM
"And so forth"
Good advise there. We are a distributor for KB pistons and their line2line coated 107 heavy duty pistons with anodized tops are working very well. Mainly you need more torque for big smiles, that is what you will feel. Can do.

shindig

Take a look in the dyno section.  Search in there for 107 or 110.  Make sure you are looking at twin cam builds and not milwaukee 8.  Do some searching on here.  Tons of information.  You ride in a club so number 1 you want reliability first and to run cool.  You want to be able to run whatever fuel is available or carry some octane booster at all times.  In my humble opinion you want a build to have mild compression, say 10.5 and ccp probably around 195.  Make sure you get a decent air cleaner and the RIGHT exhaust for your build.  Really your first question is what is your budget.  Things start stacking up and the cost keeps going up.  In my opinion the best two options:

"cheap" - 107 or 110 kit.  Set at 10.5 or so compression and pick the cam that works with your riding style and will give you about 195 ccp.  Get a good air cleaner and the right exhaust and a GOOD TUNE.  You will probably be around 105hp/110tq.

More money - Do all of the above except add headwork and throttle body and manifold, and then possible injectors.  Now you are at about 120/120

You will probably need some sort of clutch upgrade at either level.  I worked with HD Street Performance and couldn't be happier with my build.  I think you would be ok with the "cheap" option.  Which isn't really cheap...

Hossamania