April 19, 2024, 05:31:38 AM

News:

pop...no electrical

Started by Barefoot, November 14, 2020, 10:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barefoot

2000 FLHT 70K
Went to start and pop and then nothing...everything dead

I would consider myself a C- or strong D mechanic but have a manual...

Suggestions where I should focus would be most appreciated...

PoorUB

Did it even crank, or DOA from the time you turned on the key? Check the battery cables first, are they tight? Dead battery? Do you have a voltmeter? Check battery voltage across the posts, should be 12.6 volts.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

truck

The main circuit breaker, it should reset itself but best to replace it with a bigger one. It was a factory fix for the problem.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

roadkingdresser

2 wires on the starter post. the small one broke right at the ring. same thing happened to me once.
roadkingdresser

smoserx1

Happened to me.  In my case it was the red wire running from the circuit breaker to the ignition switch where it goes into the fairing and makes that sharp bend.  Repeated handlebar excursions eventually  wore it into.  I ended up replacing it, making it somewhat longer and removing the clamp that holds it to the triple tree so it didn't bend so much.  Start at the battery and troubleshoot downstream (electrically) from there.

Barefoot

("The main circuit breaker, it should reset itself but best to replace it with a bigger one. It was a factory fix for the problem.")

After a couple hours it started...reckon the above is what happened...

I shall follow other suggestions also...

PoorUB

I would still check some things out, like make sure the battery connections are tight. They will fail and then work again, then burn the post right off the battery. If you still have a circuit breaker they were supposed to get updated to a maxi-fuse at some point. The breaker gets weak and acts up when you are out on the road somewhere and leaves you stranded.

So best to look it over, it might be nothing, but good idea to check.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

Run your VIN on the Harley site.  It was an actual recall and there should be a record of it if the MOCO fixed it.
KD

Barefoot

Is the "main circuit breaker" and the "starter relay" the same thing? If the relay is 40 amps what do I upgrade to...50 amps?
Ran the vin # and no updates listed...
What is a maxi fuse?

Coyote

There are many threads on the site regarding replacing the stock main breaker with a maxi-fuse. The starter relay and the main breaker are not the same thing. The main breaker will cause a total loss of bike power when it fails.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,111833.msg1337001.html#msg1337001

Hossamania

Have you checked your battery cables yet?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

FYI loose cables can arc and reconnect but that ultimately degrades the contact surface and causes high resistance.  IMO if you can push / rotate the cable with hard thumb pressure they are loose and it is not sufficient to just tighten them.  They should be disassembled, cleaned well and reinstalled. Failure to do that just invite3s a reoccurrence and charging problems related to poor conductivity.   
KD

Barefoot

All this is way over my head...I better take it in and have someone knowledgeable fix this for me...
Many thanks for all of you for assistance...
:scoot: