April 19, 2024, 02:40:43 PM

News:

07 Deluxe starting problem

Started by 99wideglide, November 15, 2020, 11:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

99wideglide

My 07 Deluxe wouldn't turn over did some troubleshooting had power to start relay, so i figures that was it changed it for a new one bike started no problem. After a short ride stopped for gas bike would not even trun over. Pulled the clutch lever in and it started. Could it be the TSSM. FOB has a new battery.

Coyote

If it starts when you pull the clutch in then you need to check for neutral indication as the clutch is required if the bike thinks it's in gear.

Hossamania

November 15, 2020, 11:47:31 AM #2 Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:54:07 AM by Hossamania
What happens when you hit the starter button? Any click, lights dim, no sound or action at all?
Have you checked your battery cables? How old is the battery? Has it been charged?
If the security/signal lights don't flash when the switch is turned on, it is not likely the security system or fob.
Per Coyote's post, I was not aware that there was a clutch safety switch on '07 softails. I learn something new everyday. That would take my previous questions out of play.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

99wideglide

The battery is new and  the neutral switch was changed. There is according to the parts manual it does have a clutch switch.

Coyote

I didn't say your neutral switch was bad, just the signal to the HFSM/TSM. Might be the switch, might be the wiring. But if the bike starts with the clutch pulled in and not otherwise, then that's the issue.

Check Pin 4 (tan) on the HFSM/TSM and see if it changes in gear/ in neutral.

kd

Also, is the shift linkage lubed and free.  Will a slight movement of the linkage (not a shift into gear  :dgust: ) cause the starter to engage? It may even be loose on the shift shaft spline not centering the neutral gate or dragging on the chain case.  :nix:
KD

Dan89flstc

'07 was the first year for the clutch safety switch and neutral lockout setup.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic