May 02, 2024, 09:48:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Open primary clutch wobble

Started by Jonjon08, November 17, 2020, 06:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonjon08

I have the same issue on my 88, put a new 127 and a Ultima 6 speed, ran it and noticed an excessive amount of wobble, took the clutch apart and installed it a few different ways. Set up dial indicator and she has a .035" axial wobble on outer basket. Inner basket .002" wobble. Pulled the clutch and did a run out on just the shaft .0005-.001", measured the main shaft od .939" and basket spline Id .974" there is .035" difference. Not exactly a tight fit seems like machining could be a lot better if you ask me, like closer to .010 heck I'd even settle for .015".... Checked the run up on the clutch and it seems like when I torque the nut it pulls some of the axial out but not all. Tried shimming the front washer with precision shims with little luck I have the basket down to .016" axial wobble.. I called Ultima to get some specs, still waiting on a return call. If need be I'll buy a new main shaft or clutch center. Anyone know of a fix?