May 08, 2024, 03:56:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Front fork spring replacement question

Started by Iron horse, December 07, 2020, 06:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

04 SE Deuce

December 14, 2020, 11:09:47 AM #25 Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:22:59 PM by Coyote
SE Deuce come with dual rate...I knew standard Deuce were different but wasn't sure if dual rate. 

You didn't say if you measured the tattletale with the front wheel off the ground but you did say the bike has 1/2" bike only SAG.  So at most you got 3-1/4" travel in 50 miles on a fork that has 5".  In 50 miles you would expect some event that would use at least 4".

With 1.0kg/mm-56lb/in springs in my Deuce a short very easy ride without hitting anything untypical my forks would travel 3.5-3.75".  My normal riding would travel 4-4.5" and anytime I rode aggressive 5", the fork bottomed at some point.

The reason for difference in travel and performance is the emulators.

The frost heaves you mentioned are a good example.  Fixed orifice dampers rods will not absorb a sharp bumps well. 
You mentioned concern about topping-out which is why a fork has rebound/top-out springs.  The real problem is not compressing enough to absorb the bump.  Having your laden SAG set at 1" is not helping.

If you haven't read it here's a link to how speed sensitive valves work:

Link removed  - must use url tag for long links. This link was messing up site formatting.

The reason I suggest 4 slow speed bleeds is for ride quality on small surface bumps when using a typical cruiser 15-20wt oil that maintains rebound damping similar to stock with stiffer fork springs...the difference between 2 and 4 slow bleed holes is night and day on a washboard gravel road.  HTH, Rick

Iron horse

December 14, 2020, 03:00:57 PM #26 Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:10:31 PM by Iron horse
Ok , so let me throw the OEM info at you just for "Potty mouth"
s and giggles .
With the bike on the bike jack and the front tire OFF the floor . The measurement from the bottom of the triple tree to the top of sliders dust cover was 7".
Putting the bike  on the floor that measurement became 6 1/4"  so bike sag only is 3/4"
Then I sat on the bike and the measurement became 41/2 " so bike & rider sag is 1 3/4"
And last , If I hold in the front brake and pump the front forks . I got 3 1/4 " travel ( raining out ) .

So the OEM springs are back in the bike , and the replacement springs are at Stapes waiting to get pick up by UPS .

And I'm thinking maybe my OEM springs just need a little more preload . Like a 1/2" spacer .

04 SE Deuce

1/2" would be ok.  Back to where you started with an additional 1/2" travel & ride height.

You have the part number and a good base set-up should you decide to try a RT spring/emulator kit.

Iron horse

So I was thinking and here's what I might do .
To get the right preload on my OEM fork springs , I'll take the forks apart again and put a solid washer on the top of each spring and then put the spring tube plug back on . Remember this has a hole in it .

Then put the forks back on the bike . I will then find a very long bolt like 4" with the same thread as the slider tube cap . This will be a temporary preload adjustment screw.  After a couple of days of adjusting the preload to find what I like .I will then  take everything a part one last time and put in a spacer from the measurement that I get off a temporary bolt .

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Iron horse on December 18, 2020, 06:10:50 AM
So I was thinking and here's what I might do .
To get the right preload on my OEM fork springs , I'll take the forks apart again and put a solid washer on the top of each spring and then put the spring tube plug back on . Remember this has a hole in it .

Then put the forks back on the bike . I will then find a very long bolt like 4" with the same thread as the slider tube cap . This will be a temporary preload adjustment screw.  After a couple of days of adjusting the preload to find what I like .I will then  take everything a part one last time and put in a spacer from the measurement that I get off a temporary bolt .

Forks need a minimum proper amount of laden SAG in order to have sufficient amount of down travel to track road irregularities.  Down travel allows the fork to stay in contact and maintain grip.

Some companies suggest 1" for laden SAG on Harleys/cruisers which to me is cutting it close and is less than common suspension industry standards.  Less than 1" is flat a$$ wrong and dangerous IMO.

1-1/4" to 1-3/4" laden SAG would be the typical (25%-35% of total travel) range for a 5" travel fork like yours.  With a 265lb. rider and soft stock springs I would set the laden SAG at 1-1/4" and call it good. 

Setting laden SAG to the minimal side makes sense on a Harley as it provides more available travel and ride height/lean angle for heavy, relatively soft sprung and sometimes short travel cruisers.

Your not going to find much magic without speed sensitive valving.