March 28, 2024, 06:16:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Head Ports Big, Turbo Did It, Welding???

Started by Sporty 48, November 19, 2020, 05:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sporty 48

Took the heads of the Sporty, 35k miles. Ported many moons ago too.
The exhaust ports are enlarged, some grooves where turbo exhaust gasses eroded the metal. Flanges flop around a bit too much
Thinking of welding and machining...
Of course new valves, springs, guides and seals.
Ideas please.
A Sportster, Bird-dogs and an old Airstream, How Sweet It Is.

wfolarry

Welding in the exhaust ports is a little tricky but otherwise go for it if you have the equipment to do it. It used to be popular to weld up the floor of the exhaust port. Don't see it happening much lately.

turboprop

Quote from: Sporty 48 on November 19, 2020, 05:42:17 PM
Took the heads of the Sporty, 35k miles. Ported many moons ago too.
The exhaust ports are enlarged, some grooves where turbo exhaust gasses eroded the metal. Flanges flop around a bit too much
Thinking of welding and machining...
Of course new valves, springs, guides and seals.
Ideas please.

Much easier to simply source a new/used set of untouched heads.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Sporty 48

Quote from: turboprop on November 20, 2020, 06:15:42 AM

Much easier to simply source a new/used set of untouched heads.

Only checked 1 place, $1,300 for a new set of heads.
Used, well, not inclined to do a fleabay crapshoot. Suppose I could get lucky. Then to do a good valve job, more costs...
Would be nice to find a spray metal, my brother used to do it on expensive shafts, spray and machine.

rigidthumper

You can buy a new head from HD for about $350 each (18485-07, Front-18488-07, Rear)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

JW113

Did you try ebay? Looks to me $200 will get you a pair of 'em...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Don D

I am assuming this is a 1200, look at the 06up heads, better ports and lighter valves plus beehives

Sporty 48

Wow, those prices are reasonable., thanks.
2011 Sportster, a 48, EFI heads. Why the sentimental attachment, they are just metal.
Looked up a company that does the spray metal, weekend, did not call.

kd

November 21, 2020, 07:21:56 PM #8 Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:25:57 PM by kd
I salvaged a near unobtainable 69 FLH transmission mainshaft with spray welding.  I don't think aluminum is possible. I believe a MIG welding process is available but the position of the surfaces may not allow suitable access.
KD

fidel

tdrglide

Fidel and kd are right. Alum mig can be set up for spray transfer but is more a production process. Definitely not suitable in an exhaust port. Tig weld AC, helium/argon mix. Pre-heat if necessary. ER4043 rod. CLEAN weld area with carbide burr and de-grease first.

koko3052

I will add that preheat is a MUST & also use heat for a cool down. Using an old bbq for the oven works well but have to use electric for the heat, have a good temp gauge & don't weld for too long raising temps drastically. May have to set the Ac at about 65/35% at first. Have to be perfectly degreased.
Not a job for your first time picking up a tig. Best bet is find a junk head to try out on....all of the processes! :up:

Sporty 48

Sporty 48

Just shipped the heads to Hammer Performance, Potato Idaho.
Might just take advantage of their sale.