March 28, 2024, 05:32:22 AM

News:

Rekluse Torquedrive.

Started by 838, November 21, 2020, 04:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can this system hold 140 ft/lbs?

kd

Just for the hell of it I did a search.  I couldn't find anywhere that they (or anyone) indicated or even hinted how much it will hold. I find that strange.  Kinda makes it a crap shoot. That said, almost any clutch can probably hold 140 with a hat on.  It'll just slip in the lower rpm's and it will probably be a bear to pull in the lever at high RPM.   

I would go straight to a Bandit Sportsman.  They WILL hold 140 ft. lbs. with ease. I know that's not what you asked but you've been hanging around this forum long enough to know the Bandit may be the most recommended clutch available.  No need for a hat or wrist burning spring pressure.  Mine is holding 149 hp / 145 ft. lbs. in a heavy RGU and I DO beat on it every time it's out.
KD

shindig

HighLiner

I think it's the clutch Moonshine Harley uses in their builds. 

C-Cat

Running Rekluse clutch in a 107 and now 110, holds awesome without a lot of spring (SE) I think it will hold 140 TQ as is. Definitely with a heavier spring.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

Don D

I sell the RMS-285 (application specific per year) with most builds, good up to 160#. They have versions that can take much higher up to 220 ft/lbs. they will build. The lever pressure goes up proportionally. The lever pull on the standard model is lighter than stock.

Tireman

1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

Don D

Same basic unit, applies to different years. RMS-285 is with slipper assist, RMS-284 is without. See page 805 Fatbook

Quote from: C-Cat on November 22, 2020, 01:28:07 AM
Running Rekluse clutch in a 107 and now 110, holds awesome without a lot of spring (SE) I think it will hold 140 TQ as is. Definitely with a heavier spring.

Would this be necessary in a lighter bike (dyna), or would a vpc be enough?

C-Cat

I have a EVO Ind. Clutch in my Dyna. VPC works, but I don't like them. Hard to shift at full throttle. I'd run a Rekluse in a Dyna or bagger

turboprop

Quote from: 838 on December 01, 2020, 02:42:50 PM

Depends on what you want to do with that 140 horsepower. If you want to spin the rear wheel, ride wheelies and impress your buddies with how powerful your bike is, get the Bandit, or run the Rekluse with a heavy spring.  But if you would like to launch that bike and not spin or wheelie, a variable pressure plate is the way to go. No question about it.

I have a couple of lighter weight harleys with TC 124s that put out over 150hp (possibly 160) and have been through just about every clutch package imaginable, to include the highly revered Bandit Sportsman clutch. The Sportsman isn't all that. Great for high torque baggers that spend time on the dyno, not good for trying to launch a bike.

FWIW - I run a Torquemaster in one of my FXRs and really like it. Its a TC 124, the break in dyno sheet is in the dyno section of this forum. The setup is a transmission with a close ratio first gear, 25/36 primary gearing, 22/38secondary gearing, Rekluse Torquemaster clutch pack in a '98 and up style clutch basket, VPC-95 pressure plate and the lightest spring I could find. I race on the street for money often, and this package works very well for my use. I put a much heavier spring when the bike is on the dyno.

My suggestion to you would be to install the Torquemaster clutch pack. If the clutch slips during street use , outside of the bike being launched real hard, then add the heaviest VPC hat (I think it is the -95) and start with the lightest spring you can find. Swap out to a slightly thicker spring if the clutch slips outside of hard launches. Keep swapping in heavier swings until you find clutch nirvana. I suspect the lightest spring you can find with the VPC-95 will be almost perfect for your application.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Quote from: turboprop on December 01, 2020, 08:05:56 PM

Depends on what you want to do with that 140 horsepower. If you want to spin the rear wheel, ride wheelies and impress your buddies with how powerful your bike is, get the Bandit, or run the Rekluse with a heavy spring.  But if you would like to launch that bike and not spin or wheelie, a variable pressure plate is the way to go. No question about it.

I have a couple of lighter weight harleys with TC 124s that put out over 150hp (possibly 160) and have been through just about every clutch package imaginable, to include the highly revered Bandit Sportsman clutch. The Sportsman isn't all that. Great for high torque baggers that spend time on the dyno, not good for trying to launch a bike.

FWIW - I run a Torquemaster in one of my FXRs and really like it. Its a TC 124, the break in dyno sheet is in the dyno section of this forum. The setup is a transmission with a close ratio first gear, 25/36 primary gearing, 22/38secondary gearing, Rekluse Torquemaster clutch pack in a '98 and up style clutch basket, VPC-95 pressure plate and the lightest spring I could find. I race on the street for money often, and this package works very well for my use. I put a much heavier spring when the bike is on the dyno.

My suggestion to you would be to install the Torquemaster clutch pack. If the clutch slips during street use , outside of the bike being launched real hard, then add the heaviest VPC hat (I think it is the -95) and start with the lightest spring you can find. Swap out to a slightly thicker spring if the clutch slips outside of hard launches. Keep swapping in heavier swings until you find clutch nirvana. I suspect the lightest spring you can find with the VPC-95 will be almost perfect for your application.

Great info thank you! Ive not heard of the "torquemaster."

turboprop

Quote from: 838 on December 02, 2020, 07:28:32 AM

Torquedrive

https://rekluse.com/product/torq-drive-clutch-hd/
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Quote from: turboprop on December 02, 2020, 09:30:34 AM
Quote from: 838 on December 02, 2020, 07:28:32 AM

Torquedrive

https://rekluse.com/product/torq-drive-clutch-hd/

This bike will be ridden very hard while at cruising speeds. No burnouts, no wheelies. Lots of downshifting and hard accelerations. It will need to hook up at low rpms but won't be rung out from a dead stop... once in motion he'll rip on it and not want the tire to break loose. Dyna 124" 11.25:1 tman 662-2.

Already has a vpc and heavy HD spring with stock plates, engine is pulled at the moment.

kd

Yeah, he says that now but wait until he gets a few whiffs of melted rubber.   :SM:
KD

Bafflingbs

How about a 9 plate Kevlar set up, with an AIM/VPC? In any case, the variable pressure clutch works great for my 130lb. torque. Absolutely rock solid. I realize it's not 140, but, it is a strong performer.
2015 FLHXS: 117hp/130tq FM 110", Darkhorse Man-O-War crank
Retired Motor Officer

Furthering the question. Bike Currently has se compensator. Will it hold/last? Go darkhorse? Go solid? 🤷‍♂️... thanks.

C-Cat

They work good with the tray and Formula Plus.

kd

The 14+ OEM version seems to be a great option.  It is adjustable with shims that are available at the dealer which I have found to work well with a big block engine.
KD

C-Cat

Right, that's what I have on both of my bikes. An extra shim on the 110 and two on my 124.. I've heard good things about the Dark Horse copmensator but no experience.

Quote from: C-Cat on December 07, 2020, 10:15:54 AM
Right, that's what I have on both of my bikes. An extra shim on the 110 and two on my 124.. I've heard good things about the Dark Horse copmensator but no experience.

Is the 2nd shim on the 124" simply to create a tighter pack on the springs?

I run the SE compensator on my personal 117" Touring bike (140/136) and it rattles a bit. I also run the vpc with a heavy spring and don't experience any slip.

kd

Quote from: 838 on December 07, 2020, 05:13:12 PM

I run the SE compensator on my personal 117" Touring bike (140/136) and it rattles a bit. I also run the vpc with a heavy spring and don't experience any slip.

Is it the 14+ comp in the 117?  Which cams and how's the idle?  Compression?

It may need a shim for better control.  Here's some info to consider.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659
KD

C-Cat

I was told to do it when I made arrangements for a tune by the Dyno operator for my124. The 110 was making a little noise when being tuned, he said to add a shim on it and ,2 shins on the 124 before I brought it in

Quote from: kd on December 07, 2020, 05:35:48 PM
Quote from: 838 on December 07, 2020, 05:13:12 PM

Is it the 14+ comp in the 117?  Which cams and how's the idle?  Compression?

It may need a shim for better control.  Here's some info to consider.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659

Yes, 14+, already has one shim, might need a second. 11.25:1 compression, CR595i cam.

Ohio HD

Motor size not horsepower doesn't make the compensator need additional shimming. Measure as Joe's post shows to bring the compensator in spec.