April 19, 2024, 09:12:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FatBoy passing lamp kit

Started by Msteuer, November 22, 2020, 07:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Msteuer

I'm installing what would have been a dealer offered passing lamp kit for 1990s FatBoys. (P/N 68249-86A I think). Mine is used so I'm in need of help on the installation hardware. This used setup does have the large beveled washers that sit under the passing lamps. However, this used setup also came with two additional small beveled washers that look as though they sit between the the lower side of the mounting bar and the top of the turn signals. Anyone familiar with the small ones? Anyone have experience with the kits parts or better yet a copy of the orig. instructions.  I'd hate to mount and wire only to find out it's incorrect. Thanks in advance

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

xlfan

The setup is the same as 1990's FLSTC Heritage.

Hossamania

Quote from: xlfan on November 22, 2020, 08:34:09 AM

Correct, I should have mentioned that when I posted the link, look up an FLSTC from the 90's.

14Frisco

Dan89flstc

The P&A kit offered by HD back then for the Fatboy was similar to the Heritage, but if I remember correctly, it did not have the turn signals hanging below the passing lamps.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

kd

KD

Hossamania

Quote from: Dan89flstc on November 22, 2020, 10:48:02 AM

The P&A kit offered by HD back then for the Fatboy was similar to the Heritage, but if I remember correctly, it did not have the turn signals hanging below the passing lamps.

Correct. The signals are on the bars. I forgot about that difference.

Msteuer

First off thank you to everyone for the help. You are correct, the -86 kit did not come with the turn signals. Moving them from the bars to the bottom of the passing lamps was an additional kit. I'll have to find that kit #. So. The breakdown on the link provided by 14Frisco for the OEM -86 kit instructions the smaller beveled washer (#18) is included. Great. Hossamania states that it's the same setup as the 1990s Heritage models. Now if I look at the Heritage parts breakdown that small beveled washer is not included. Looks like I'm going to have to look into that turn signal kit to see if the washer is retained or pitched. It would seem that without that smaller beveled washer the spots could only be rotated from left to right and there would be no up and down motion.

Hossamania

I can also tell you with some confidence that no matter what you do, one of the spots will always move out of adjustment from vibration. Perhaps you will get lucky, and have one of the few that doesn't, but don't be surprised if you end up fighting with it.

Hossamania

I just looked up the passing lamps/turn lamp assembly on my old '95, part #6871-62, swivel block.

FSG

FSG

Quote from: Hossamania on November 22, 2020, 04:17:26 PM
I just looked up the passing lamps/turn lamp assembly on my old '95, part #6871-62, swivel block.

#68721-62

Hossamania

Quote from: FSG on November 22, 2020, 04:43:59 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 22, 2020, 04:17:26 PM

#68721-62

Of course it is. I even wrote it down. I got so excited that I had it, I fat fingered, didn't check, and just hit send.
Thanks for straightening me out.

Msteuer

Yes that is the relocation kit # I came up with. No mention or part # for a small swivel washer.
It would appear that having both the large and small beveled washers installed would be Winners Circle correct. Realistically, Hossamanias statement is the really important one. They move out of adjustment no matter what you do. Agreed. Pan,shovel,they all shift. Working on the bench with the two washers installed once I reposition the lights alignment and it slips. It go directly to full flopping around and the force it would take to reposition it would definitely have you busting something. Im going to have to go with that non-winners circle one only beveled washer. The intent was to faithful to the kits assembly. That's why I posted this question in the first place.  Just as important as the info. provided is that there are individuals here that respond and offer assistance to others in need of help. Thanks again.

FSG

FSG

QuoteNo mention or part # for a small swivel washer.

which one are you referring to ?

Washer, swivel 68693-38  ?

Msteuer

The -62. Beveled and made of steel. The -39 is black and more of a friction washer. Ive had them on several early HDs.
The newest bike I've ever owned is a 78FXS until I decided to pick up a project. This 97FLSTF.
This bike has a large learning curve for me. To me this EVO is a new bike though it's 20+ years old. And it still has a carb.