March 28, 2024, 10:49:24 AM

News:

Trans. Overflow

Started by Wide Glide, November 22, 2020, 01:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wide Glide

Does anybody know the weight of HD discontinued Semi Synthetic Trans. fluid? I'm using BelRay Trans. oil 85-140 and for the last 2 years when it get colder I get oil out the overflow. I have tried it at the "add" mark and it doesn't make a difference. I did extended the overflow  and it did help, but did a little out of it. I have never tried the Formula+, it seems too thin. The BelRay eliminates the clunk, and can always find neutral.

Mike
'97 FXDWG
Mike

thumper 823

Opinions correct?
Read the spec sheet on the oil made by Amsoil .
You will find you need less inventory for most stuff.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

tomfiii

Any reason you are using the heavier oil instead of the 75-90?

Buglet

Back when the first 5 speeds came out they were using straight 20w. I probably still have a couple of cans sitting on the shelf.

Wide Glide

tomfiii wrote: "Any reason you are using the heavier oil instead of the 75-90?"

That was what the Belray site recommend, I believe 75-90 was for Sportster. That is why I was looking for the weight
of the old semi synthetic from Harley, was think of trying something different. I have read that this issues is do to moisture in the oil and the cold temperatures.
'97 FXDWG
Mike

RTMike

Are you checking the oil level with the bike standing up or on the kick stand?The semie synthetic HD oil was 80-90 wt.

Burnout

Heavy trans lube is OK in a 5 speed BT, however there have been some folks who have experienced an output bearing (5th gear) failure in cold weather apparently due to the heavy oil not flowing into the narrow margin that supplies oil to the bearing. This is probably due to no warm up, jumping right on the highway in the AM.

Baker recommends a slight overfill......

When HD first marketed the full synth 20-50 they said to use it in everything (one oil fits all).  BZZZZZZT!  Wrong!  Don't believe everything HD marketing says.

HD 5 speeds seem to hold up well, I don't see the need to use heavy weight oil. Except maybe in high temps with a side car.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

turboprop

November 24, 2020, 10:30:48 AM #7 Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:32:20 AM by turboprop
Quote from: Wide Glide on November 22, 2020, 01:21:21 PM
Does anybody know the weight of HD discontinued Semi Synthetic Trans. fluid? I'm using BelRay Trans. oil 85-140 and for the last 2 years when it get colder I get oil out the overflow. I have tried it at the "add" mark and it doesn't make a difference. I did extended the overflow  and it did help, but did a little out of it. I have never tried the Formula+, it seems too thin. The BelRay eliminates the clunk, and can always find neutral.

Mike

Oil weight has nothing to do with the overflow your transmission is exhibiting. There is something else going on that you are missing. Once you find the real issue, you will be able to run whatever brand/weight of oil you want in that transmission without it overflowing. Keep digging.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hossamania

Quote from: RTMike on November 24, 2020, 08:42:57 AM
Are you checking the oil level with the bike standing up or on the kick stand?

This may be the question of the day.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Wide Glide

RTMike wrote:"Are you checking the oil level with the bike standing up or on the kick stand?The semie synthetic HD oil was 80-90 wt."

Always, check it up right and dip the stick. You should always dip the stick.
Thanks for the answer to the HD trans. weight, may look into getting a oil with a lighter weight.
'97 FXDWG
Mike

koko3052

By using such a heavy weight oil, it may be retaining air bubbles without time for the oil to "drop off" of them, carrying the oil out the overflow. I will relate an experience I had with gear oils in class 8 trucks working the oilfields. Always used 85W90 in the rears until we purchased a used logger from BC. My bro. went to bring it home, about an 8 hr. run, but tractor only. When he arrived at base I looked it over & noticed that the diff. temps were way too high, like he had been pulling a full load for 8 hrs.! I did a bunch of research & changed the diff oils to 75W90, learning that the slightly thinner oil will flow better & remove more heat from the diffs.. After the change we could never get the temps up to half of what they were with the heavier oil, no matter how hard we worked it!
Lesson learned. :up:

FSG

just my experience

had used Belray but switched to Redline Shockproof

used Heavy for yonks but switched to Lightweight

Deye76

"Oil weight has nothing to do with the overflow your transmission is exhibiting. There is something else going on that you are missing. Once you find the real issue, you will be able to run whatever brand/weight of oil you want"

This.

FWIW even when I lived up north and rode in 35-40 deg. weather heavy trans lube was never a problem. Been running heavy shockproof (it flows like 75wt.) for 20 years, 5 and 6 spds.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

choseneasy

I am with these guys on this one... I don't see type of fluid causing it to spit out.
  The primary is vented to the transmission thru the push rod in the main shaft. Are you losing engine oil between changes into the primary?
  A plugged overflow tube will push oil up the clutch cable.
  Not sure what could be happening in the tranny itself to cause it— is it the proper factory dipstick?

ghostrider

Old thread here I know, but I have a friend whose trans just starting leaking out the vent tube, 97 Heritage.  So after checking out a few obvious things, I did a search in here and found this thread.  Coincidentally, the exact same BelRay oil was just put in it.  So maybe there was a bad batch of it or something, or maybe its just too heavy?  Not enough anti-foaming agent?

Wide Glide

I think I was overfilling it, had a leak. I torn it down and found the mainshaft bushing had walked. I replaced all the seals and the bushing and all is good now. I couldn't get the puller on the bushing so I had to loosen the mainshaft and slide it to get the puller on.
'97 FXDWG
Mike

ghostrider

Did you use the same oil after replacing the seals?   I hate that stupid race that is pressed on the shaft, what a PIA, lol.

Wide Glide

Yup, still using the Bel Ray, it improved the shifts and no clunking anymore. I used the S&S bushing and went with FSG suggestion on the
aftermarket one piece nut and lock plate for front sprocket.
'97 FXDWG
Mike