News:

A '64 Electric Start?

Started by Hossamania, November 22, 2020, 03:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

1965 first year electric start, was last year of the Pan Head.

Motor may be a '64, most everything else isn't.

FSG

a new Firefox feature lets you upload an image to imgur by right clicking on the image

there is a box on the browser header that will provide the link to the image ......  good-o   :SM:

Hossamania

November 22, 2020, 03:54:11 PM #3 Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:10:29 PM by Hossamania
Quote from: Ohio HD on November 22, 2020, 03:33:56 PM

But the ad says a "rare" '64 Panhead, indicating that it was a factory bike. I knew '65 was the first year, my reason for posting the ad, to question the honesty of it.
So rare in fact, that it does not exist.

Quote from: FSG on November 22, 2020, 03:39:06 PM
a new Firefox feature lets you upload an image to imgur by right clicking on the image

FSG, I was more interested in the wording of the ad than the pics, though a nice looking bike. Plus, I don't have Firefox, and I'm not on a PC to right click.
Other than that, good info!

Ohio HD

The frame, front end, primaries, etc. is early 70's FX / FL or aftermarket FX / FL.

A '64 Pan Head had a tin primary, so no electric start period. Even if the "cases" are '64 panhead, the sprocket shaft had to be changed on the crank to accommodate the electric start and longer 4 speed shaft to accommodate the aluminum primary. There was no such thing as a '64 Pan electric start. 

FSG

Hoss   :up:   just saw it as a good op to get the pix   :SM:

Hossamania

Quote from: FSG on November 22, 2020, 04:14:50 PM
Hoss   :up:   just saw it as a good op to get the pix   :SM:

Fair enough.

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 22, 2020, 04:13:43 PM
The frame, front end, primaries, etc. is early 70's FX / FL or aftermarket FX / FL.

A '64 Pan Head had a tin primary, so no electric start period. Even if the "cases" are '64 panhead, the sprocket shaft had to be changed on the crank to accommodate the electric start and longer 4 speed shaft to accommodate the aluminum primary. There was no such thing as a '64 Pan electric start. 

Yup, unfortunately someone may think they are getting something special, or rather, extra special.
Having said that, it's a sweet looking bike.

Ohio HD

Hossamania

Damn right but it is! And a nice one to boot.

fbn ent

FSG .... So I can use the firefox imgur as a "legal" way to post pics here? That would mean I learned two techy things in four days !  :party:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

FSG

YES

the pic is hosted on the imgur server

all you're doing on HTT is posting a link to the pic

FSG

all I've done here is right click on the pic in Ohio's Post and uploaded to imgur

then copied the imgur link and put it in [ img] [/img ]   tags

kd

November 22, 2020, 10:12:21 PM #12 Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:18:02 PM by kd
Quote from: fbn ent on November 22, 2020, 07:16:35 PM
FSG .... So I can use the firefox imgur as a "legal" way to post pics here? That would mean I learned two techy things in four days !  :party:

Quote from: FSG on November 22, 2020, 07:28:35 PM
YES

the pic is hosted on the imgur server

all you're doing on HTT is posting a link to the pic

Quote from: FSG on November 22, 2020, 07:31:59 PM
all I've done here is right click on the pic in Ohio's Post and uploaded to imgur

then copied the imgur link and put it in [ img] [/img ]   tags

Wow. How lucky is that.  The ol BBC is really going to come in handy and open up some more of those geeky doors.  I don't have imgur though.

When you click on FSG's last post "insert quote" it shows the Imgur string hybrid with the BBC for the pic and it actually kinda makes sense now.  :up:
KD

FSG

QuoteI don't have imgur though.

Firefox makes it easy ...... 

but remember PicPick will allow you to capture an image/screen then share it via uploading direct to imgur

Breeze

My Firefox doesn't have that imgur when R. click on the pic. Should be the latest edition, because they tell me when a new one is available.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

FSG

Quote from: Breeze on November 23, 2020, 03:36:30 AM
My Firefox doesn't have that imgur when R. click on the pic. Should be the latest edition, because they tell me when a new one is available.

my bad, it's an addon which I don't remember installing, must have done it a few releases ago   :scratch:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/imgur-upload/

Hossamania

biglew55

If I recall my reading correctly, the '64 Servi-Car was the first HD available with electric start, but it is pretty rare, and the '65 FLH got all the press.

Also, I have seen some nice conversions for earlier Pans, but they are pretty involved and pricey.

The one pictured looked like it had a lot of '65 - '69 pieces. 
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

Ohio HD

Quote from: Hossamania on November 23, 2020, 09:04:14 AM
According to this quick blurb, electric start was secretly available in '64.

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-american-motorcycles/1964-model-fl-ze0z1208zsch

What I read is they were putting the finishing touches on the electric start "during" the year 1964, It doesn't say there were 1964 models with electric start. It says the following year, the 17 year old design (first Pan Head was 1948, 1948+17=1965) was updated....   yatta, yatta, yatta.

I own factory parts and service manuals from that era, they show nothing about electric start until 1965 when the aluminum primaries showed up, and the longer transmission and sprocket shafts came along.

Also 1964 was still 6 volt, the electric starter was a 12 volt system, starting in,,,,,,  1965. 

I'm done, unless you bring some facts.   :hyst:

sfmichael

no expert here but Stevie Wonder can see that the only thing about that bike that's a '64 is the title and maybe the topend

still pretty sweet tho...
Colorado Springs, CO.

Hossamania

I got nothing for info other than what the internet tells me, and it's never wrong.

Speeding Big Twin

Frame appears to have a VIN boss on the R-H side of the steering head so I'd like to see the frame number if it has one. Also notice the square one-hole blocks for passenger footpegs. If those blocks are original then they would help suggest the frame is either 75 or 76.
Swingarm is somewhere from 58 to 72 inclusive. It may be one of the 62 or earlier types but I can't tell much from those pictures.

Front brake is somewhere from 49 to 68 inclusive. Hub may be 66-earlier.

Hard to tell what year the left case is. I'd like to see the SN and BN.
R-H case may be 64 or earlier. I can't see an outside oil line but the case may have had its relay bracket boss removed because that area appears to have the remains of two screw holes?

Inner primary cover may be 65–69.
Outer primary cover has the type of derby cover introduced for 70 models but it also appears to have a slotted cap at the front and the cap was only fitted as original for 65–early-66. It may be a 65–early-66 outer primary that was modified to accept a derby cover? 

The ad says it's a 'Rare 1964 Panhead with Factory Electric Start'
But what does that mean? Are 1964 Panheads rare? Not really but some may say they are. Does that bike have a factory electric start? I can't tell but even if it has then I don't think it would be from a 64 Pan because AFAIK the factory didn't make any 64 Pans with electric start as original. A while ago on another site someone said they made about twelve of them so I asked him to elaborate but he did not reply. Sometime later he repeated his story but again he posted no evidence.
Eric

Hossamania

I actually emailed the seller, questioning the veracity of his claim, he said google it, they made a few. I googled it, the link I posted is what came up.
Is pretty obvious nothing is original on the bike, other than the "rare '64 Panhead Electric Start" motor, if that is in fact the case.
Still, a nice looking bike.

crock

Also the wrong primary cover( even if it is an ultra rare 64 Electra Glide) Note the derby cover
Crock

kd

Quote from: crock on November 24, 2020, 04:49:22 AM

Also the wrong primary cover( even if it is an ultra rare 64 Electra Glide) Note the derby cover

:idea:  You're fright, there IS one!   :wink:
KD

Ohio HD

This thread is starting to sound like the "1966 Shovel Head motors had bigger valves than other years".......      :sick:

Wives tales and sewing circles.      :SM:

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 24, 2020, 08:22:48 AM
This thread is starting to sound like the "1966 Shovel Head motors had bigger valves than other years".......      :sick:

Wives tales and sewing circles.      :SM:

Well they did.  In 1966 the other years were pan heads.  :wink:
KD

Ohio HD

The new normal, " let me check Craig's list on that".  :doh:

Speeding Big Twin

I contacted the seller and he sent a few photos. He said he bought the bike from a widow in Wisconsin about six months ago. The bike was not running at that time but he got it working. He said he has no documentation for it. I told him the cylinders had no MCC logos and neither could I see any date codes on them.

One photo I received showed most of the trans case casting number and I told the seller I suspected it was 34703 65. For 1964 Pan trans cases two casting numbers were used. One was 121-35 and the other was 34703 64 but neither of the 1964 trans cases could accommodate an aluminium inner primary. Therefore I think the casting number on that trans was 34703 65 which was first used for 1965 models.

I also told him why I thought the frame is either 75 or 76. That was twelve days ago and I have heard nothing since. I think the engine may have started life as a normal 64 and someone adapted the aluminium primary covers and electric starter to it later on. And at some stage the cylinders were changed and the engine was put in a Shovel frame etc.   
Eric

kd

I machined the left side '56 FLH crankcase half flat to remove the ribbed surface used with the tin primary to the same depth as a 65 to 69. I then used the next version transmission case with the mounting ears for the primary and fitted an early electric start to it. That required the 65 to 69 transmission main shaft. Its length was mid way between the early tin and late alternator set-up and only made for 4 years.  Not too much trouble if you had the parts.  Tough to do well with a horseshoe tank though.  Not much room for a real battery.
KD

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 22, 2020, 04:26:57 PM
This is a '64 Pan Head

That is a BEAUTIFUL 1964 FLH!.....you forgot the beautiful word... :smile:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

tomcat64

Not to be a stickler, but the 1964 GE Servi-car is the first electric start HD..

Hossamania

Ohio HD

Yes, but it's a 45 CI motor, three speed transmission, etc., etc. Nothing that fits a Big Twin.

Apples to Watermelons.

Hit Me, I'm A Link...

Ohio HD

Quote from: tomcat64 on January 05, 2021, 08:41:29 AM

Not to be a stickler, but the 1964 GE Servi-car is the first electric start HD..

Pan Head

Deye76

Quote from: Hossamania on November 23, 2020, 09:04:14 AM
According to this quick blurb, electric start was secretly available in '64.

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-american-motorcycles/1964-model-fl-ze0z1208zsch

Except the picture looks like it has a horse shoe oil tank, not the large battery box, with the cover at the bottom that hides the starter relay.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP