April 18, 2024, 08:19:51 PM

News:

twincam valve seal

Started by tc1550, November 23, 2020, 02:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc1550

was replacing exhaust port gasket due to leak front exhaust port found oil dripping down valve gonna replace on bike have the goodson tool guides are 5/16 gonna replace with avv v312421 or v312531 dont have apart yet qustion is do i need to use green locktight on stem collar or just lube only?  i will use packing tape over  valve keeper grove till it slides by and down .lock tight or no lock tight is the question thanks

kd

What does the FSM say?  620 seems to be a common choice with some that do use loctite.  Some use other grades and some seals have spring collars for tension but I don't see any need to have them on so hard that they will have to be chiseled off. There has to be a reason this happened.  You are about to get your money's worth out of that Goodson tool if not already.  :up:   It's a great tool and using it only once more than pays for it.  :wink: 

You don't say what year, cam lift, type of rockers, or mileage on the heads. I would pay particular attention to the fit of the valve stem in the guide. High lift cams can accelerate guide wear with lateral pressure from the rocker. Age and mileage with normal wear over time etc..  It's possible the seal is still attached and it is simply worn from guide wear or age.
KD

wfolarry

Loctite is for the K Line seal that is metal. AV&V seal is viton. Loctite won't work on that.

kd

KD

tc1550

408 cam roller rockers heads were done by vendor here by mail bike has about 4500 miles on build bike is not puffing at start up but i saw it just running down  exhaust valve front  cylinder when replacing leaky front port gasket  gonna try seal first go from there. Wear on guide with such low mileage from reputable  builder here prob not  but i will not rule out thanks in advance 

kd

I tend to agree.  If the valve job was done well there should be lots of life left.  If the 408 cam you are referring to is the .650 lift the rooller rockers will help mitigate much of the side thrust stock rocker wiping action would have.  The side thrust can cause premature wear and loosen up a seal.  It'll be interesting to hear what you find after putting your Goodson tool to work.
KD

tc1550

Thanks will up keep posted on result