March 29, 2024, 03:34:38 AM

News:

114/117 to 122 kit?

Started by wnogood, December 03, 2020, 05:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wnogood

With 7 years of ESP ahead of me, SE is my only option. Has anyone installed or had any experience with this kit? Its cylinders, pistons, lifters, TQ cam and a cat head pipe. I've already got a no-cat head pipe, so I'm good there. MSRP is $1799 plus labor...
2020 SGS 122" stonewashed white pearl

mstrobes

FYI your no-cat head pipe will void your powertrain warranty.

wnogood

Quote from: mstrobes on December 03, 2020, 05:52:03 AM

This one is the HD high flow header (from the high flow exhaust in the HD catalog) but I used rinehart mufflers instead of the street cannons, so warranty is still intact...

Coyote

I'd think the mufflers could/would void it.

wnogood

Quote from: Coyote on December 03, 2020, 06:33:00 AM

I don't disagree, but the dealer that sold me the bike installed the mufflers. When I asked "Is this going to void my warranty" they said "As long as you use an HD tuner, your warranty is valid" so I have the street tuner and smart tune pro on my bike.

PoorUB

Quote from: wnogood on December 03, 2020, 07:14:48 AM
Quote from: Coyote on December 03, 2020, 06:33:00 AM

I don't disagree, but the dealer that sold me the bike installed the mufflers. When I asked "Is this going to void my warranty" they said "As long as you use an HD tuner, your warranty is valid" so I have the street tuner and smart tune pro on my bike.

Your dealer will let it slide, but if you have a breakdown on the road and run it into a different dealer all bets are off. Bad part is a second dealer sees mufflers that are not approved and you can "flag" your motorcycle in the system and kill your warranty everywhere. If the local dealer tries to run a warranty through HD it most likely will be refused.

After the EPA spanked HD a few years back HD is not very forgiving.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Buglet

Then that dealer that install those mufflers should lose there franchise. Harley wouldn't have to worry about closing dealer then, they be very few left. 

biglew55

Quote from: PoorUB on December 03, 2020, 10:11:03 AM...After the EPA spanked HD a few years back HD is not very forgiving.

I still maintain that HD paid to get thrown into the briar patch.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

PoorUB

Quote from: biglew55 on December 03, 2020, 11:54:23 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on December 03, 2020, 10:11:03 AM...After the EPA spanked HD a few years back HD is not very forgiving.

I still maintain that HD paid to get thrown into the briar patch.

That wouldn't surprise me.

I found it odd that you could buy a vehicle, strip off and the EPA required parts and HD would still warranty it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

Pretty sure dealerships lied to the factory for years, to get warranty claims through for their customers. Loss of franchise was a worse case scenario, if they get caught. Most warranty clerks felt about the rules, the same way they felt about running 75 in a 70 zone- prolly not gonna get caught (and everybody else is doing it) so it's OK...

Back on topic- check with the ESP company to see if the new kit will be covered, because ESP usually only covers legal mods added during the first 60 days of ownership.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

wnogood

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 03, 2020, 01:09:39 PM
Pretty sure dealerships lied to the factory for years, to get warranty claims through for their customers. Loss of franchise was a worse case scenario, if they get caught. Most warranty clerks felt about the rules, the same way they felt about running 75 in a 70 zone- prolly not gonna get caught (and everybody else is doing it) so it's OK...

Back on topic- check with the ESP company to see if the new kit will be covered, because ESP usually only covers legal mods added during the first 60 days of ownership.

I paid an additional $125 to ESP for screamin eagle parts coverage. It damn well better be covered!

mstrobes

Quote from: wnogood on December 03, 2020, 06:27:05 AM
Quote from: mstrobes on December 03, 2020, 05:52:03 AM

This one is the HD high flow header (from the high flow exhaust in the HD catalog) but I used rinehart mufflers instead of the street cannons, so warranty is still intact...
I have the same exhaust but with the SE slip-ons w/cats. If the Rinehart's have cats and are EPA approved then you should be ok no cat no warranty.