May 07, 2024, 04:43:33 AM

News:

Pinion bearing

Started by RTMike, December 03, 2020, 05:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTMike

Has anyone ever seen a pinion bearing plastic roller carrier come apart,this one came appart in little pieces chewed up and some of it went threw the pump.Motor was making some awful noises  so the owner took the cams out and that's what was found.

wfolarry

Did the bearing walk? Usually when a bearing fails there's something else going on.

Barrett

What year? I've seen a few bearings that walked in this site. That's one of the reasons I went with T2 cases. It came with a clip to hold it in place. Harley did add retaining screws to hold it in later on. My 08 didn't have anything holding it in place.

RTMike

It is a 2000 motor,and no the bearing hasn't walked it has a S&S crank and reed valve installed,will know more when it is taken appart.

koko3052

What have you found? Being 2000 cases there should have been screws to hold the bearing.

rigidthumper

The 703b screws didn't start untill the 2011 model year in A model engines. The softails used a retainer plate & screws starting in 2000.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Admiral Akbar

99 to 2002 cases has a flimsy snap ring holding the bearing in place. 

Crank runout could have killed the bearing retainer. The bearings used in 99-02 A cases were pretty prone to misalignment issues.