April 25, 2024, 10:28:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Chain Lube

Started by Merch, August 09, 2022, 10:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Friend had a bagger with the enclosed chain, put 100,000 miles on that chain.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

david lee

my mate whos a mc mech said motul off road version. also to lube a o ring chain you must lube it after a ride when the o rings are hot and expanded so the lube gets in. lubing cold is a waste of time and lube

Ohio HD

If that were true, then you would also be allowing water and dirt into the chain rollers. The O-ring in o-ring chains seal the inner rollers from outside elements.

Ohio HD

Simple procedure, clean, dry, lube, wipe off.

david lee

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 14, 2022, 03:19:45 PMIf that were true, then you would also be allowing water and dirt into the chain rollers. The O-ring in o-ring chains seal the inner rollers from outside elements.
this guy knows all about chains among other things. he also said no lube, the chain will not last. you cant have metal on metal

kd

Quote from: david lee on August 14, 2022, 07:07:12 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on August 14, 2022, 03:19:45 PMIf that were true, then you would also be allowing water and dirt into the chain rollers. The O-ring in o-ring chains seal the inner rollers from outside elements.
this guy knows all about chains among other things. he also said no lube, the chain will not last. you cant have metal on metal

Lube it hot, no lube?  Sounds like he can't make up his mind David.  Does he work on your bike too?
KD

Ohio HD

You need to inform him that quality o-ring chains, the rollers and pins are greased when assembled, and then the o-rings seal the grease in. Just like a sealed wheel bearing. We of course need to clean the outer areas of the chain, and lube them to reduce heat and friction at the sprocket teeth.

He's 100% wrong about the o-rings expanding and allowing lube inside the roller and to the pin. 100% wrong.

Wookie3011

It doesn't stand to reason. Metal expands and if anything it would seal better when warm. Perhaps, you misunderstood what he was saying. I just switched to chain drive. This is my first season using one besides dirt bikes  I appreciate the topic. Is there a preferred adjustment? I've read many different preferences anything from 1/2"-1". Bikes on the lift right now getting ready to adjust the Bumb stop. Getting alot of chain slap inside the primary. I'll use Belray as others have recommended. BelRay makes good products. Hey Ray, is Duracell on the lift now or is that a old picture?

david lee

ill mention that to him ohio

david lee

Quote from: kd on August 14, 2022, 07:26:23 PM

Lube it hot, no lube?  Sounds like he can't make up his mind David.  Does he work on your bike too?

he has his own business for 40 yrs hes the only mec his customers trust and know he can fix any problem. hes the first guy i call if i have an issue and fitted a reverse to my trike when others couldnt and never fitted one before. he wont work on pommy bikes. says there crap bar nortons

Hossamania

I think what David meant was, if no lube is used, the chain will not last.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on August 15, 2022, 07:49:29 PM

Ahhhh.... after that nudge I reread it and see what you mean. I think Ohio explained it well after that.  It's important to understand the makeup of a good o-ring chain to know how and why to service it.  It took me a bit of studying before I jumped in because I'm old and don't trust new things. So far it's better than sliced bread.  :wink:
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on August 15, 2022, 08:32:39 PM

Ahhhh.... after that nudge I reread it and see what you mean. I think Ohio explained it well after that.  It's important to understand the makeup of a good o-ring chain to know how and why to service it.  It took me a bit of studying before I jumped in because I'm old and don't trust new things. So far it's better than sliced bread.  :wink:

I seem to remember that in the old Pan and Knuckle service manuals, that they recommended laying a cleaned chain into a pan full of light weight grease, and heat the pan to thin the grease so it went into each link and roller. That's probably what that guy is remembering.

kd

August 15, 2022, 09:35:31 PM #38 Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:03:38 PM by kd
Quote from: Ohio HD on August 15, 2022, 08:52:56 PM
Quote from: kd on August 15, 2022, 08:32:39 PM

I seem to remember that in the old Pan and Knuckle service manuals, that they recommended laying a cleaned chain into a pan full of light weight grease, and heat the pan to thin the grease so it went into each link and roller. That's probably what that guy is remembering.

That's exactly what I used to do with the bulk chain I was buying at the farm supply store.  I used the good red stringy wheel brg grease because it had cling when it got hot.  The lady friends didn't take to well to spotted clothing.

To do it you had to warm the chain up first then coil it up in a small pan. It took less grease to cover the chain.  Let it cool a bit and take it out for a cleaning. The pan was covered and stored for the next chain.  Sometimes more than one chain was done and stored in plastic for a later quick change.  Long trips loaded and modified engines could make short work of some of the old chains.
KD

No Cents

Hey Ray, is Duracell on the lift now or is that a old picture?

That picture is probably ten years old.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae