March 28, 2024, 07:07:23 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baffle for Open Megaphone with Reverse Cone

Started by SB107, December 07, 2020, 10:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

That's funny! Moms just have that ability to find things.
The baffle flew out of my Thunderheader somewhere. Hope it didn't hurt anybody.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

Quote from: SB107 on May 18, 2021, 05:44:48 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics, guys!

Quick Story: Was out for a cruise on Sunday, doing my normal riding. Nothing super crazy, few pulls to 5000rpm (about as high as I can spin it without committing a felony). All of the sudden I notice the thunderous rasp on decel again which my baffle took care of. I thought "that's weird, haven't heard that in a while". Get home and my collector is EMPTY, the baffle fell out! I was dumb and forgot I loosely bolted it in and didn't use locktite. Went back to where I noticed the noise come back and in the middle of the road was my perforated tube. Searched 30-40 min for the aluminum piece in 1.5ft grass and couldn't find it. Had dinner with my parents and told them about it and my Mom offered to come out and help me look. Sure as "Potty mouth"
within 3 mins she finds it on the side of the road, couldn't believe I missed it...

Luckily the ring wasn't damaged, a few scuffs nothing a file wont take care of. Best believe next time it goes in I'm using locktite....

I use Neversieze.  It prevents galling of the aluminum threads and pulls it down tight. The difference is I tighten mine.  :hyst:  A couple of checks after it get hot and it will be snug each time you check after.  You don't have to over do it either.
KD

SB107

Quote from: Hossamania on May 18, 2021, 08:20:52 AM

I don't know how I missed it. First trip up the road about 50ft from where we parked she found it. Luckily it fell out on a road not heavily travelled, I like to stay off the main roads for safety reasons and to make sure I can have some fun without the police being called.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

C-Cat

I use Neversieze.  It prevents galling of the aluminum threads and pulls it down tight. The difference is I tighten mine.  :hyst:  A couple of checks after it get hot and it will be snug each time you check after.  You don't have to over do it either.

Good advice 👍
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

kd

May 18, 2021, 10:36:24 AM #54 Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:48:26 AM by kd
Quote from: C-Cat on May 18, 2021, 10:31:18 AM

Good advice 👍

2nd year w/ no issues and the threads are still minty.  (touch wood   :teeth: )   That includes the discs as per SuperTrapp's recommendations.  They have been removed and adjusted many times but still require the check over a few times before they are seated.   
KD

C-Cat

Quote from: SB107 on May 18, 2021, 09:26:39 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on May 18, 2021, 08:20:52 AM

I don't know how I missed it. First trip up the road about 50ft from where we parked she found it. Luckily it fell out on a road not heavily travelled, I like to stay off the main roads for safety reasons and to make sure I can have some fun without the police being called.
Had my  helmet blow off my head at 75moh and accelerating. It landed in the woods after bouncing off the pavement. I made a guesstimate and found it in 5 minutes. Pure luck!

bump

I had the coil cover fall off my shovelhead while going about 60mph. I found it at next stop light in town. It was stuck in grill of pickup truck behind me.  :teeth:

SB107

Quote from: C-Cat on May 18, 2021, 04:58:33 PM
Had my  helmet blow off my head at 75moh and accelerating. It landed in the woods after bouncing off the pavement. I made a guesstimate and found it in 5 minutes. Pure luck!

I had a metal detector with me and was determined to find it. I was hoping both pieces fell out at the same time. Going to use some red threadlocker on it next time it goes back in and actually tighten it. Might put something else on it to make sure the nut doesn't fall off even if it comes loose.

My Thunder Torque insert came in the mail. Stuffing that in the perforated tube to see what it does to the sound. Hoping I wont have to wrap it.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

kd

Owen, I would reconsider the thread locker.  It seems that you will be experimenting more.  You may be flinching now and be sorry later.  Think about the hundreds of thousands of mufflers out there with exhaust tips on them and none of them use thread locker. All you have to do is remember to tighten it and check it a few times after it's heat cycled.  :SM:  I'm not sure where you are using nuts as fasteners but you can always use locking type with the crimped crown (non nylon).  You may be over thinking it.   Just sayin.   :nix:
KD

SB107

Quote from: kd on May 19, 2021, 06:49:12 AM
Owen, I would reconsider the thread locker.  It seems that you will be experimenting more.  You may be flinching now and be sorry later.  Think about the hundreds of thousands of mufflers out there with exhaust tips on them and none of them use thread locker. All you have to do is remember to tighten it and check it a few times after it's heat cycled.  :SM:  I'm not sure where you are using nuts as fasteners but you can always use locking type with the crimped crown (non nylon).  You may be over thinking it.   Just sayin.   :nix:

KD, I am an engineer, my job is to overthink!! LOL Yes they don't use thread locker however they are not subject to the same environments as these. The nuts hold the perforated tube to the fixture and the fixture to the exhaust tip. I went this route for simplicity's sake. I don't care what it looks like as the only people who are going to see it are the ones that line up next to me. (hopefully C-Cat lives far far away...)
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

kd

Quote from: SB107 on May 19, 2021, 07:18:01 AM

KD, I am an engineer, my job is to overthink!! LOL Yes they don't use thread locker however they are not subject to the same environments as these. The nuts hold the perforated tube to the fixture and the fixture to the exhaust tip. I went this route for simplicity's sake. I don't care what it looks like as the only people who are going to see it are the ones that line up next to me. (hopefully C-Cat lives far far away...)

Well as an engineer, (by the way I love your drawings) you have seen my fixture and you are the only one to have personal knowledge of my total finished design.  You're use of nuts is probably a choice I would make too. Kill 2 birds with one stone. 

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how your system is not subject to the same environment.  In some ways it is more extreme with the closed end cap and that stack of stainless discs hanging off the back.  My  fixture is a 2 piece base, yours is 2 piece in total.  I have discs and end caps (up to 49 extra pieces) and you don't.  I am capturing heat, you are releasing it.  I have used never seize on all fasteners after deep discussions with a SuperTrapp "engineer" at a SEMA booth.  It actually gets the fasteners tighter with less stress on the threads.  I used reasonable practices as you would when you install a new set of exhaust gaskets and after 3 checks with minor snugging of the fasteners after heat cycles found them to be tight from that point on.  When I wanted to remove them, within 1/2 turn they would literally spin out with a screw driver.  All of them. 

This is not theory, it's practical experience over a couple of years of use without failure.  Just trying to help but I can step back and see what I can learn from you.   :wink:  I have achieved my goals now, (provided I can get on a dyno and confirm the power and tune safety - damn COVID - border is closed another month now).  It sounds great, is super tolerable and almost pulls the bars out of my hands when I hit it hard in the first 3 gears. I love the smell of burning rubber curling over my shoulders when it breaks loose.   :SM:
KD

SB107

Quote from: kd on May 19, 2021, 08:07:29 AM
Quote from: SB107 on May 19, 2021, 07:18:01 AM

Well as an engineer, (by the way I love your drawings) you have seen my fixture and you are the only one to have personal knowledge of my total finished design.  You're use of nuts is probably a choice I would make too. Kill 2 birds with one stone. 

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how your system is not subject to the same environment.  In some ways it is more extreme with the closed end cap and that stack of stainless discs hanging off the back.  My  fixture is a 2 piece base, yours is 2 piece in total.  I have discs and end caps (up to 49 extra pieces) and you don't.  I am capturing heat, you are releasing it.  I have used never seize on all fasteners after deep discussions with a SuperTrapp "engineer" at a SEMA booth.  It actually gets the fasteners tighter with less stress on the threads.  I used reasonable practices as you would when you install a new set of exhaust gaskets and after 3 checks with minor snugging of the fasteners after heat cycles found them to be tight from that point on.  When I wanted to remove them, within 1/2 turn they would literally spin out with a screw driver.  All of them. 

This is not theory, it's practical experience over a couple of years of use without failure.  Just trying to help but I can step back and see what I can learn from you.   :wink:  I have achieved my goals now, (provided I can get on a dyno and confirm the power and tune safety - damn COVID - border is closed another month now).  It sounds great, is super tolerable and almost pulls the bars out of my hands when I hit it hard in the first 3 gears. I love the smell of burning rubber curling over my shoulders when it breaks loose.   :SM:

I am talking about off-the-shelf muffler end caps, not your fixture. They are not subject to direct exhaust flow like our systems are. Just a little confusion, we're on the same page. I'm saying that the muffler end caps have the exhaust flow consistent through the middle, and our systems are in the direct path of the exhaust flow and have larger surface areas.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

kd

Well, my last comment on the subject is IMO, they are. If you look at enough of them you will see what I mean.  I have spun several speed nuts trying to remove them when they weren't lubed. But I've been around for a while too.  :hyst:     Put a few long days on the slab and tell me they don't get just as hot.  In fact, SuperTrapp sells a a bolt in fixture with an open or closed endcap.  They call them "tunable spark arresters" with the closed cap for off road.  Same thing, different sales pitch.  As for the larger surface, it probably benefits as a heat sink through the area of contact at the mounting surface to the pipe.
KD

Just Nick

Very Nice Design I have a couple Guppy pipes and baffles that work great but I am on the other side of the spectrum as you, I want it louder I am in the beginning stages of designing my own baffle also I will share when I am at that point. I have just made my own pipe and a couple others for customers bikes also once I get time to get my own bike on the dyno I will be testing a few different baffles and merge collectors I have made with 12 or 15 degree bends going into the mega cone and post pictures. Another good supplier of perforated tube is Beverlin specialty tube, I am getting some 3.5" perf from then soon with 65% open factor to build another baffle. I am running a 3.5 inch reverse cone at the exit but I have a 4" exit I need to polish out a cone to weld up to and test that one on my new motor I just finished building in my dyna.     all my picture are on my phone so I will post them when I get a chance if anyone is interested.  Its funny that I have not been here for a couple years and the first post I see when I jump back on is this one and I going through the same process as you are too it must be a sign  :wink: 
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

C-Cat

I think we are all interested, please share.

98fxstc

Quote from: Just Nick on May 21, 2021, 07:18:46 AM
Very Nice Design I have a couple Guppy pipes and baffles that work great but I am on the other side of the spectrum as you, I want it louder I am in the beginning stages of designing my own baffle also I will share when I am at that point. I have just made my own pipe and a couple others for customers bikes also once I get time to get my own bike on the dyno I will be testing a few different baffles and merge collectors I have made with 12 or 15 degree bends going into the mega cone and post pictures. Another good supplier of perforated tube is Beverlin specialty tube, I am getting some 3.5" perf from then soon with 65% open factor to build another baffle. I am running a 3.5 inch reverse cone at the exit but I have a 4" exit I need to polish out a cone to weld up to and test that one on my new motor I just finished building in my dyna.     all my picture are on my phone so I will post them when I get a chance if anyone is interested.  Its funny that I have not been here for a couple years and the first post I see when I jump back on is this one and I going through the same process as you are too it must be a sign  :wink:

Good to have you back Nick

SB107

This is what we need, another guy with the same problem whos actively searching for a solution. What a great asset this site is.

I added a Thunder Torque insert into my perforated tube. No noticeable difference in volume at idle, but it sounds deeper and much less racket on decel and cruising volume is less. I really like the way it sounds but I think I'll need packing if I want to make it much quieter. I may call it quits now as after actually riding the bike the loud exhaust isn't as bothersome as I had originally thought.

Also yes, I'm sure we are all very interested in what you're willing to share!
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

C-Cat

Did the insert alter the torque curve? As in earlier Torque or limit topend? I know sometimes it's hard to gauge or even find the right place to get a couple good blasts through a few gears.

kd

When No Cents did his it was on the dyno.  The way he explained it he started out with a reduced exhaust hole and was able to open up the fixture slowly until the top end looked like it was ready to drop. IIRC that gave him a huge left side lift without compromising the top on the right side.  The seat of the pants dyno will be tough to gauge where your at.
KD

C-Cat

June 29, 2021, 01:26:51 PM #69 Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:31:36 PM by C-Cat
Just did a 70 mile ride 92*. I was getting used to the Burns Megaphone. Bike is running sweet, although I must admit now that I'm relaxing my ears are fricken ringing. Got a new SE 502 180 on the back and fixed the small leak at my shifter. Time to get the mounts for the Supertrapp fabbed up. Absolutely no heat issues with the headpipes compared to the Boarzilla.

Hossamania

kd

June 29, 2021, 04:07:07 PM #71 Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 05:21:31 PM by kd
Quote from: SB107 on May 25, 2021, 08:45:36 AM

This is what we need, another guy with the same problem whos actively searching for a solution. What a great asset this site is.

I added a Thunder Torque insert into my perforated tube. No noticeable difference in volume at idle, but it sounds deeper and much less racket on decel and cruising volume is less. I really like the way it sounds but I think I'll need packing if I want to make it much quieter. I may call it quits now as after actually riding the bike the loud exhaust isn't as bothersome as I had originally thought.

Also yes, I'm sure we are all very interested in what you're willing to share!

FWIW I can now do highway and around town trips listening to my stereo.  My 3" Burns is now super tolerable and have received comments on how good it sounds. The best part is how much I like the sound.
KD

C-Cat

Hossamania

Quote from: C-Cat on June 29, 2021, 04:41:11 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on June 29, 2021, 03:36:58 PM
Do you ride with earplugs?
no

Helps cut down on ringing from wind and exhaust. It also preserves your hearing for later in life.

C-Cat