Author Topic: Baffle for Open Megaphone with Reverse Cone  (Read 2023 times)

Offline C-Cat

• FFF
Re: Baffle for Open Megaphone with Reverse Cone
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 07:37:25 PM »
I don't see how the Burns  Baffle can come out, the Supertrapp Baffle can be removed. The collector and muffler is what Vince sent me for the Dyna. I'm going to run the Trapp without discs to start, thinking unrestricted it will he close with my tune. Tech at Supertrapp said the 5in. Doesn't need as many discs as the 4in. Although I bought extras just in case and was going to do washers if it needs more discs ( closed endcap) as you've done, when I can get it to the Dyno. I need to quiet it down for my neighbors and my hearings sake.
Merc 63, went from a Burns to the Supertrapp Muffler on his B2 124 and it actually made peak HP at 6400 from 6000 with the Burns. His advice was not to run the Burns because of the noise and low speed manners compared to the Trapp. He had also tried the discs and his preference was without. With all that said my 124 made 161/145 sae as is, and is a left side dominate curve, which is ok on my Dyna. I do have  a Boarzilla also, but the Dyna Zilla IMO isn't as much pipe as the touring Zilla and will move the TQ left while limiting HP and the front tire will be up in the air a lot more with the TQ coming in early. I'm looking forward to seeing SB 107's and your results, along with my own.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:00:02 PM by C-Cat »
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 09:10:23 PM »
I think we are all singing out of the same hymn book.  I was fortunate to meet Vince before he took over Burns Stainless and they started to make the No Holds Barred pipe.  I introduced him to a couple of knowledgeable people at SEMA on our first arranged meeting and between everyone settled some of the details. He had the beginnings of a prototype and blended everything together to make a very nice exhaust system that is a top performer (and looks killer). I believe his first pipe went to me and I was able to spec a longer head pipe to pick up the torque it was lacking for a touring bike.  To be clear, the guys using it for track or with lighter bikes did not need the early torque because it supports so much mid to top. I also asked for the longer megaphone.  BTW they now offer a smaller baffle and pipe configuration for less than hi-performance big blocks and others. As you can see if you look up my dyno sheet here, the Dragula 1 one was quite capable with the 2.55 baffle and out performed the Burns at 2500 rpm. I want that back. One of the big reasons I am testing is to get the most out of the pipe without hearing damage and heat from the police (it's becoming a real threat) but also to share it with Vince. He was good to me. With the time it has taken me to complete the machining and with COVID complications holding me back, I would think he's wondering where I have gone.  :unsure:  I also found a great way to mount the longer muffler so it doesn't stress crack by using small brackets they have that I welded in place.  I think there will be more than one way to skin this cat and individual tolerance for the loud Burns muffler will be a huge deciding factor on how to do it.  After all, that's one of the reasons we are doing it.

BTW, SuperTrapp has some great and helpful literature if you care to look for it on line.  I visited their techs at SEMA and they confirmed a lot for me.  The techs that I talked to were great resources thinking out of the box. Also, I have absolutely no slow speed manner issues with the Burns exhaust on the highway, street or parking lot.  I suspect without knowing his engine and gearing specs, Merc 63 may have needed a tune adjustment.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:15:11 PM by kd »
KD

Offline SB107

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 06:17:50 AM »
I don't see how the Burns  Baffle can come out, the Supertrapp Baffle can be removed. The collector and muffler is what Vince sent me for the Dyna. I'm going to run the Trapp without discs to start, thinking unrestricted it will he close with my tune. Tech at Supertrapp said the 5in. Doesn't need as many discs as the 4in. Although I bought extras just in case and was going to do washers if it needs more discs ( closed endcap) as you've done, when I can get it to the Dyno. I need to quiet it down for my neighbors and my hearings sake.
Merc 63, went from a Burns to the Supertrapp Muffler on his B2 124 and it actually made peak HP at 6400 from 6000 with the Burns. His advice was not to run the Burns because of the noise and low speed manners compared to the Trapp. He had also tried the discs and his preference was without. With all that said my 124 made 161/145 sae as is, and is a left side dominate curve, which is ok on my Dyna. I do have  a Boarzilla also, but the Dyna Zilla IMO isn't as much pipe as the touring Zilla and will move the TQ left while limiting HP and the front tire will be up in the air a lot more with the TQ coming in early. I'm looking forward to seeing SB 107's and your results, along with my own.

I plan to keep everybody updated as this seems to be an issue for so many. I believe my baffle will also work in the Burns muffler as well (being the perforated tube is only 2.400ish OD). Need to calculate exit area to make sure it will not restrict too much flow. I calculated the area of the old Guppy baffle which has proven to make plenty of power, so as long as I am in that ballpark I should be fine. KD's design does offer tunability and probably a much quieter sound. My version is just simpler, something that will probably cost under $50 all said and done. I am fortunate that my father owns a CNC Lathe/Mill shop so I have material, machines, and his experience at my disposal.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

Offline SB107

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 06:28:01 AM »
Old guppy exit area: 4.35sqin
My baffle exit area (no cone): 7.5sqin
my baffle exit area with cone: 4.57sqin

My baffle has nice, gradual angles to keep the flow of the gases relatively smooth, not make them run into a wall (KD gets credit here with his critiquing of my old design)
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

Offline C-Cat

• FFF
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2021, 06:21:39 AM »
Comparison of muffler bodies and inside baffles.
On a previous post I stated " left side dominate curve" I meant right side obviously.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:28:50 AM by C-Cat »
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

Offline SB107

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »
End cap blanks are done. Tomorrow I will be doing the milling for the cutouts, drilling for the mounting holes, and cutting the perforated tube to length.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

Offline Deye76

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
Nice.
Is that ST muff a 4" or 5" ?
East Tenn.
2014 CVO RK, 2015 RGS, 1992 FXRP

Offline SB107

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 05:37:53 AM »
Nice.
Is that ST muff a 4" or 5" ?

I believe somewhere he mentioned it was 5"
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

Offline SB107

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 05:39:58 AM »
The hard stuff is done. Now just need to put some holes in the muffler and bend the ends of the tubes in.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

Offline Fugawee

• Site Supporter
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 05:59:33 AM »
Nice Work! Look pretty good to Me.   :up:

Offline SB107

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2021, 06:22:26 AM »
Nice Work! Look pretty good to Me.   :up:

Thanks, I cant say I came up with the whole design, but I did incorporate a few things I liked from the Guppy Baffle, KW HP Plus baffles, and the BCT Quiet Baffles, as well as No Cents endcap he made. Machining was done on 2 CNCs at my dad's shop. He had his lead man do the blank on a lathe and we went in on a mill to do the cutouts. Turned out awesome, don't even want to put it in the pipe lol.
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE