April 18, 2024, 08:34:01 AM

News:

48H and compression

Started by Big Dave, December 11, 2020, 11:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfmichael

Quote from: Adam76 on February 13, 2021, 05:30:14 AM
Quote from: sfmichael on December 13, 2020, 08:52:51 PM
depending on the miles of the bike I would recommend a valve job especially if you have access to a performance machine shop that can perform a good multi angle valve job

a performance valve job will add some very inexpensive horsepower and new valve stem seals are a plus
Hey sfmichael, I'm still learning. Can you please explain what a 3- angle valve job actually
does to increase performers.. does it increase chamber volume?  How exactly does it help?
Thanks

As Don already stated a good valve job done by in a controlled machine shop environment will almost always be better than what a factory can produce. Think quality vs. quantity.
Also while a good 3 angle job is fine, a 5 angle along with back cutting the valves will typically enhance flow a measurable amount.
In a machine shop environment much more attention to detail is typically afforded and the end result in the hands of a good machinist will always be superior. No knock against the factory, their stuff works fine...but a hand-tailored suit will usually fit better than off the rack  ;)
Colorado Springs, CO.

And Don did this exact job for me on a 95" at 10:1 with an Andrews 48. At the same time I had a stage 2 bike 96" with an Andrews 48... the 95" with the blueprint won in every aspect.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Adam76

Quote from: 838 on February 15, 2021, 08:35:53 AM
And Don did this exact job for me on a 95" at 10:1 with an Andrews 48. At the same time I had a stage 2 bike 96" with an Andrews 48... the 95" with the blueprint won in every aspect.
Nice, never seen a 95" with 48s... what numbers did you end up with?
Thanks

February 15, 2021, 03:06:13 PM #29 Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 03:10:23 PM by 838
It never saw a dyno. It was tuned using twin scan. It ran great though. There's something about that 4" stroke motor. Smoothest roll on power delivery of any Harley I've ridden. Roll on it at 70 and it was instantly at 90. even 2 up and loaded full dresser.

Run it at 10:1 and get the heads cleaned up... ran great and no detonation, even in 100+ weather and CA pump gas.

A standard bolt in A48 with a 96" goes 105/95... I'd say this one was close to 120tq but nosed off completely by 5k.

Adam76

Quote from: 838 on February 15, 2021, 03:06:13 PM
It never saw a dyno. It was tuned using twin scan. It ran great though. There's something about that 4" stroke motor. Smoothest roll on power delivery of any Harley I've ridden. Roll on it at 70 and it was instantly at 90. even 2 up and loaded full dresser.

Run it at 10:1 and get the heads cleaned up... ran great and no detonation, even in 100+ weather and CA pump gas.

A standard bolt in A48 with a 96" goes 105/95... I'd say this one was close to 120tq but nosed off completely by 5k.
Wow, that's impressive.   :scoot:

Big Dave

I'll close this off for those interested

Cylinders bored to 103 , mild port on heads , Stk valves with new grind, heads milled .010 ,Big boyz calculator shows me at 10.01 and 196.5 CCP with the 48 cams

Canned tune from fuel Motto -- Dyno set for mid April

I have a very strong running bike with the pull right where i ride , I haven't push it yet due to brake in

So Far So Good  :bike:

Dave

You'll have lots of fun with that 👍. Looking forward to the dyno sheet. Post it when you get it done!

sfmichael

should be fun - who did the heads?
Colorado Springs, CO.

Big Dave

All the work was done by Outlaw V Twin in Kelowna BC Canada

Jem of a shop that dosnt advertise much , I found them through A racer in Calgary that ships all there bikes and work to him

Full machine shop , restorations and dyno tuning , Fellows name is Josh and is by recommendation only

Super nice guy that answered all my questions and just made me comfortable

Dave

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Big Dave

Set to ride the drum Friday April 16 th

Running really well ---- Had to replace the clutch though  :SM:

Dave

Quote from: Big Dave on April 08, 2021, 12:15:41 PM

Dave

Did you get it on a dyno yet?

Big Dave

Sorry -- The drum is my slang for the Dyno  --- Next Friday

Dave

kd

Are you actually riding this bike without a tune or AFR check?  :crook: 
KD

Adam76

Dave

Nice Dave, what clutch set up did you go with?

Big Dave

Quote from: kd on April 08, 2021, 02:02:39 PM
Are you actually riding this bike without a tune or AFR check?  :crook:

Of course not as per prier post tune with power vision canned maps plus auto tune runs untill I can get on the drum ( Dyno )

Dave

Big Dave

Quote from: Adam76 on April 08, 2021, 04:30:55 PM

Dave

Stock clutch with newer SE pressure spring , When it started slipping i pulled it apart and found it was just plain worn out

Dave

90,000 nothing lasts any more

Adam76

April 09, 2021, 10:06:28 PM #43 Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 10:10:55 PM by Adam76
Quote from: Big Dave on April 08, 2021, 05:13:28 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on April 08, 2021, 04:30:55 PM

Dave

Stock clutch with newer SE pressure spring , When it started slipping i pulled it apart and found it was just plain worn out

Dave

90,000 nothing lasts any more

Thanks Dave, I'm also replacing my clutch spring with a new one, the trike one that's rated just under the SE one - and possibly a new set of Barnett Kevlar clutch plates or something similar while I'm in there

At 90,000kns you're not still in your stock clutch plates are you? 🤔
Cheers. 👍

Big Dave

Original clutch

I Replaced the steels and fibers , the were still in spec , just barely , with the SE spring I'm sure I'll be fine its a touring bike and thats what we do

Dave

Adam76

Quote from: Big Dave on April 10, 2021, 08:21:53 AM
Original clutch

I Replaced the steels and fibers , the were still in spec , just barely , with the SE spring I'm sure I'll be fine its a touring bike and thats what we do

Dave

👍 thanks. I'll check my steels and fibres for spec before replacing.

👍. How you liking that  roll on power at highway speeds?  That's where my 48 build was the most fun for sure.

Great  power delivery everywhere in the touring rpm range, Have fun with it now!

Big Dave

The smoothness when you roll on is unbelievable , Im really happy with the bike

Thanks

Dave

I guess this is done they pull any reference to the dyno sheet

kd

Dave, there are rules on posting dyno results (sheet) and the format they are printed in.  This is to standardize the picture they paint for some readers that are not familiar with correction factors in the dyno numbers and graph.  Read the posting rules in the dyno section and see if you can meet the test before posting it.  I don't remember what your graph was standardized to but I expect it missed the mark.
KD

Ohio HD

@KD   :up:

The sheet was in STD and not SAE. They should also be posted in the dyno section and format the post title appropriately.