March 28, 2024, 05:04:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

belts

Started by david lee, December 13, 2020, 01:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

how are belts measured. width or pitch. primo primary belts are either 8 and 11mm. but sturgis are 14. thanks

bump

My primary belt is 9mm thick at top of teeth, 1 1/2" wide by 132 teeth. It is a Phase Three that is not available any more but you can get same belt from Gates rubber.

RTMike

Phase Three now that's old,they started it all with belt primary's

Hybredhog

The stock "Sturgis" primary belts are actually a 13.8mm pitch, and can't be used with the after market 14mm pulleys. The 11mm & 14 mm at one point were sold with an idler wheel for the adjustments, They didn't last to long. Out of all of them I've seen the 8mm versions last as long as anything, your results may vary, I'd take a chain drive any day of the week.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

david lee

i should have kept my chain drive but stupid me sold it 30plus yrs ago. my primo belt which is 8 or 11mm has the roller adjuster and its the same belt i put on all those yrs ago. around 3-4yrs ago when the bike was at my hd mechs shop for a clutch hub change he said the belt was in new condition . but i will say its not done a lot of miles

bump

December 15, 2020, 02:53:29 AM #5 Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:09:44 PM by FSG
Quote from: RTMike on December 14, 2020, 08:35:03 AM
Phase Three now that's old,they started it all with belt primary's

I put the Phase 3 belt on about 79 or 80. I have broken only about 5 belts in 40 years. The last one was on a trip and I found a belt at local custom shop about 10 years ago. Had tranny out for repair last winter and belt still looked new.

Hossamania

"Only" 5 belts. Interesting.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

RTMike

I purchased a Phase Three set up in 76 no problems until I put a set of 43/4 strokes flywheels in it,every time I did a burnout I would brake the belt so back to the chain.

kd

Same experience here.  It's pretty tough to find a replacement when 1,000 miles from home in Pumphandle Saskatchewan.  Pretty easy at any farm supply joint if looking for some chain and a master link.  I gave my fancy belt up and went back to chain.  Same thing happened with by belt drive 2011 RGU.
KD

JW113

Yep. Me too. Mine came with a aftermarket belt. Was not a lot of fun pushing the thing home when it snapped. Back to chain, nary a problem now.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

id say it would be hard to find the chain set up again

david lee

i would have thought the 3inch belts would be bullet proof

Mark222

Quote from: david lee on December 15, 2020, 12:17:06 PM
id say it would be hard to find the chain set up again

I would have to agree the internals for Evo & 4 Speed combos might be scarce.  But most of that set up was from late "shovel" like the primary, starter mounting and jackshaft.

More stuff out there if you look back a little perhaps?  I bought a back up inner primary when they were getting about gone and mine had some chain damage.   

I still have my 85 Shevo and still running the EOM clutch and chain setup.

Mark

bump

Quote from: Hossamania on December 15, 2020, 04:25:55 AM
"Only" 5 belts. Interesting.

When the belt breaks it does not break other things. A belt lasting 7or8 years without ever looking at it. I have found belts at shops in different areas and was able to install new belt on side of road.

david lee

i saw a post where someone ground the inner primary and modified the front pulley cover so that so that the pulley and clutch hub stays on but i dont know how the belt would go over the starter teeth on the hub

motorhogman

Been watching this thread. I'll add my 02....I started out with a Primo system with the tensioner.. Broke a few belts in a very short period of time.. Switched to  Karata belt and pulley system.. That system allowed for a belt change on the side of the road with very basic tools.  I carried a spare belt,, It went with the bike when i sold it.. That was about 20 years later.. Don't recall the exact time, i had that bike for 28 years before selling it to a friend, 73 Super Glide. I had some engine work done on it and it ran strong.   His GF used tell me He's beating the crap outa your bike.. I'd laugh and tell her it ain't my bike, it's his and if he breaks something he can fix it. Well Dave (RIP) you never did break that belt.. His brother has the bike now with the same Karata belt on it.. I don't know if Karata still exists but that was a good belt system.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

crock

December 19, 2020, 06:55:44 AM #16 Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:02:54 AM by crock
Well look at THAT
Crock

motorhogman

Quote from: crock on December 19, 2020, 06:55:44 AM
Well look at THAT

that answers that question.. i was to lazy to look...

Hybredhog

December 19, 2020, 10:06:38 AM #18 Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:11:45 AM by jeffscycle
   All the stock Shovel primary parts are available. it may cost you some $$, but it's possible. A chain only lets you down when you let it down, and the only ones I've seen break are from idiots not adjusting them right or ran dry. Keeping the stock circulating oil system works if you change your oil regularly & clean the plates & basket once in awhile.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

david lee

Quote from: motorhogman on December 18, 2020, 01:34:20 PM
Been watching this thread. I'll add my 02....I started out with a Primo system with the tensioner.. Broke a few belts in a very short period of time.. Switched to  Karata belt and pulley system.. That system allowed for a belt change on the side of the road with very basic tools.  I carried a spare belt,, It went with the bike when i sold it.. That was about 20 years later.. Don't recall the exact time, i had that bike for 28 years before selling it to a friend, 73 Super Glide. I had some engine work done on it and it ran strong.   His GF used tell me He's beating the crap outa your bike.. I'd laugh and tell her it ain't my bike, it's his and if he breaks something he can fix it. Well Dave (RIP) you never did break that belt.. His brother has the bike now with the same Karata belt on it.. I don't know if Karata still exists but that was a good belt system.
can u use the karata belt with primo pulleys

JW113

I got the whole primary innards for next to nothing from Ebay. I bought a new chain and adjuster shoe though, "just because".

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: jeffscycle on December 19, 2020, 10:06:38 AM
   All the stock Shovel primary parts are available. it may cost you some $$, but it's possible. A chain only lets you down when you let it down, and the only ones I've seen break are from idiots not adjusting them right or ran dry. Keeping the stock circulating oil system works if you change your oil regularly & clean the plates & basket once in awhile.

:up: I agree with this except I prefer my primary isolated.  Just gotta keep her oil tight.

That and I never had the skills to find the sweet spot in the stock clutch after I went to the 93".
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

motorhogman

Quote from: david lee on December 19, 2020, 11:28:07 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on December 18, 2020, 01:34:20 PM
can u use the karata belt with primo pulleys

It was a long time ago but if I recall the Karata is a different pitch..

david lee

so the best way to check belt wear is cracking. correct ?

motorhogman

Quote from: david lee on December 21, 2020, 11:54:46 AM
so the best way to check belt wear is cracking. correct ?

I'm no expert but yes if you see cracking similar to weather cracking on tires I'd change the belt for sure.. If you have a new belt on hand you could also compare the teeth for wear against the new one..  The belts I broke were not old. They probably didn't have 5,000 mi on any of  them. Did I beat on them a bit, Yes.. nothing like my friend did on the Karata belt though.  I was aligning the pulleys with a piece of glass.  Everything was straight as an arrow. No idea why I couldn't keep a Primo belt on that bike.