March 29, 2024, 07:27:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Barry Controls USA made Front Engine Mount

Started by turboprop, December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AM Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 09:52:27 AM by Coyote
I found what may be the oem for the original -B front engine mount used on baggers and FXRs. Barry Controls, made in the USA, $18.10 direct.

Here are three links:

The first link is to the catalog which contains tons of scientific information as well as top level drawings. Interesting to note that the mount typical used in Harley applications is available in five different hardness ratings.
Barry-Controls-2011-compressed.pdf

The second link is to the online store. The 507-3NS is what was used by Harley. I Just ordered it and the corresponding snubbing washer. Total bill was $38 that included $20 for shipping.
online store

The third link is to an ebay listing for the Barry mount. $60, but has good images.
ebay listing

I just ordered a couple. Will see.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

calif phil

turboprop

Quote from: calif phil on December 15, 2020, 09:23:00 AM
Excellent post!!!  Thanks.

Just doing my part.

FWIW - I placed an order earlier this morning and just received notification that it has been shipped. And my card has been charged. Looks like the system is on and working.

motorhogman

Good find.  I may just order one myself.. I've got a "D" mount now.. This is probably the 3rd or 4th mount over 20 years.. I don't think the bike has aver been as smooth as it was with the original. "B" that was OEM for it.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

choseneasy

Dogbone45ACP

smoserx1

The original mount on my 99 FLHT lasted incredibly well, I think it was somewhere around 140000 miles before it tore up.  At that time the "D" mount was out but some said there was a Buell part number that was the same as the original so I got the Buell mount, and it tore up in no time.  I don't think I even got 10000 miles out of it, and yes it looked just like the original.  Then I got a "D" mount and although it was very stiff at first but after about 1500 miles it was fine.  It has also lasted very well.  At a price of $18.95 or so I have to be a little skeptical of this Barry mount.  Seems too good to be true.  Right now Dennis Kirk sells two mounts that look just like the original, one is about 20 dollars and the other about $60.  Makes me wonder.  I hope it works out, but just because it looks like the original does not mean that it is.

Deye76

For under 40 bucks, it's worth a shot. Alloy Art will cost you a hundred, and shake your fillings loose.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on December 17, 2020, 07:05:49 AM
For under 40 bucks, it's worth a shot. Alloy Art will cost you a hundred, and shake your fillings loose.

They even offer them in five different hardness ratings. Perfect for the TC lifter crowd.

Seriously, almost half of the $40 is shipping. I am probably going to order two more, one with the harder compound and one with the softer compound. Why not.

motorhogman

I printed the drawing of the 507. The measurements seem to all be good compared to a "D" I have.  The ebay seller that is asking $60.00 for one has a 507 3NS part # in his picture..

Any one know if that 3NS is the Code 3 on the drawing sheet ? 

Trying to figure out which one will work best for my 01 FLHT.. looking to smooth her out a little. Bike is all stock, no hot rodding..   No idea which load range the OEM "B" mount was. 

turboprop

Quote from: motorhogman on December 19, 2020, 09:56:11 AM

Yes it is.

At $20 each you could buy the 2, 3, and 4 for less than what you will spend at the dealership on a single unit. Why not do your own science project and see for yourself?

motorhogman

December 20, 2020, 06:49:45 AM #12 Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 01:20:31 PM by motorhogman
Quote from: turboprop on December 19, 2020, 01:54:42 PM

Yes it is.

At $20 each you could buy the 2, 3, and 4 for less than what you will spend at the dealership on a single unit. Why not do your own science project and see for yourself?

Thanx.. I see they have a phone number for help with applications. I'm going to call them on Monday and see what they have to say about HD applications..  You are right about cost.. @ 18.10 I think I did pay about 4 X that for the last one plus about an 80 mi round trip to the dealer..

kd

Quote from: motorhogman on December 20, 2020, 06:49:45 AM

Yes it is.

Thanx.. I see they have a phone number for help with applications. I'm going to call them on Monday and see what they have to say about HD applications..  You are right about cost.. @ 18.10 I think I did pay about 4 X that for the last one plus about an 80 mi round trip to the dealer..

Can you report back what they say please?
KD

motorhogman

December 21, 2020, 08:10:33 AM #14 Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:22:44 AM by Coyote
OK I talked to John at Novibration.com. (Distributor for Barry Controls)

Which is now owned by Hutchinson Aerospace Industries.   

1 817 453 1100 ext 106. He is in engineering. Real nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Asked about the application for the early touring bikes and he was very familiar with it.

He said the code 1 was the original mount used.

He said the code 3 would be substantially stiffer and more apt to transfer vibrations.

BTW.. I called the 1800 number on the Barry Controls site and got a run around. After talking to 3 people the last one transferred me to "engineering"  and resulted in " no one available at this time" recording..

motorhogman

Quote from: kd on December 20, 2020, 06:05:55 PM
Quote from: motorhogman on December 20, 2020, 06:49:45 AM

Yes it is.

Can you report back what they say please?

Yep, and  I'm going to order one after the 1st of the year..

kd

I probably will too.  I noticed the side rubbers on my RGU are not centered and pulled to the rear.  Front mount time.
KD

RedFXR2

Quote from: turboprop on December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AM
The 507-3NS is what was used by Harley.

Quote from: motorhogman on December 21, 2020, 08:10:33 AM
OK I talked to John at Novibration.com. (Distributor for Barry Controls).

He said the code 3 would be substantially stiffer and more apt to transfer vibrations.

All great info.  Is there a conflict here?  So which one is most likely to be the one for HD use?  507-1NS or 507-3NS?

motorhogman

Quote from: RedFXR2 on December 22, 2020, 05:48:52 PM
Quote from: turboprop on December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AM
The 507-3NS is what was used by Harley.

Quote from: motorhogman on December 21, 2020, 08:10:33 AM
OK I talked to John at Novibration.com. (Distributor for Barry Controls).

All great info.  Is there a conflict here?  So which one is most likely to be the one for HD use?  507-1NS or 507-3NS?

"He said the code 1 was the original mount used."

If you are looking for the original compound the 507 1NS is it..

If you want a stiffer compound the 3 would be stiffer. maybe last longer ? but more likely to transfer vibration.. They are all suitable for HD.. just depends what you want.

hbkeith

How did the mounts look when you got them Turboprop?

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on January 05, 2021, 12:57:49 AM

I will post a picture later today, but IMO they looked really good. I lan to eventually buy an entire set of all five to play around with.

FWIW - I put the -3 in my red FXR and could tell an immediate reduction in vibration felt at the pegs and bars compared to the D&S Performance mount (Not Drag Specialties).

motorhogman

Quote from: turboprop on January 05, 2021, 03:34:01 AM

I will post a picture later today, but IMO they looked really good. I lan to eventually buy an entire set of all five to play around with.

FWIW - I put the -3 in my red FXR and could tell an immediate reduction in vibration felt at the pegs and bars compared to the D&S Performance mount (Not Drag Specialties).

Good to hear.. I'm going to order 1 series maybe this week with a snub washer..Did you install it in the same direction that the original mount was installed or the way the "D" installs..

hbkeith

Quote from: turboprop on January 05, 2021, 03:34:01 AM

Nice , planned on front mount and swingarm isolators on my RK , ill try the front mount first ,see what i feel ( when the snow is gone )

hbkeith

motorhogman

Quote from: hbkeith on January 11, 2021, 05:32:55 AM
over $24 to ship  to Michigan

Yea..$22,00 to SC.. I asked John if he could do anything to discount the shipping.. Answer was it's not in his control.. He said if you have your own contract with Fed Ex or UPS you could probably get a better rate..