April 26, 2024, 05:00:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

13" shocks on a street glide?

Started by tbird, May 06, 2023, 07:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

May 06, 2023, 07:50:11 AM Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 09:06:36 AM by tbird
Anyone tried the stock harley touring 13" shocks on a street glide? Dealer says only difference in suspension between limted and street glide is the 12" shocks. Can pick up a used set reasonable. That extra inch would be nice.

calif phil

I always try and talk StreetGlide owners in going to a 13" shock, makes a big difference. Who knew 1" was that important  :embarrassed:

Deye76

1" on a motorcycle is significant. On suspension and seats especially, IME.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Tacocaster

A fellow SG riding friend highly recommends I do the same for mine. He's very happy especially when two up.

If you're finding the SG rides rough and can get a set of EG's cheap, go for it.

I'm likely wrong but knowing the year of manufacture of the EG's shocks is important regarding their max psi setting. I'm not sure if that applies to SG shocks only or for all touring models starting around....2009 or so? Anyway, I'm sure someone here will confirm or dismiss that detail for you.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

scott7d

Still the same crumby shock with a little more travel. But as alluded to, the more travel the better.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

tbird

Well I scored a set of new 13" take offs for $100. Made a huge difference. They put the same shocks on the ST models.

hbkeith

Not a SG but a 15 RG , stock 12" premium shocks , been trying to get this bike comfortable for touring ( only reason to own a touring bike) , after seats , highway pegs , windshields etc , we went for a 50 mile ride to try out a seat , bike just sucks , ruff riding POS ready to sell it and ride my 97 RK out west instead , got home and decided to switch the 13" Legends shocks off my RK onto the RG , OMG ! night and day , the 12" Harley shocks should be thrown in the trash

Hossamania

I have switched to SuperShox Premium LT 14" shocks that ride at 13", with a 1" lowering kit on my Ultra, so they ride at 12" with full travel of a 14" shock. Preload is very simple to adjust, no tools needed. I cannot tell you how much better these ride. My wife made comment immediately that the ride is so much better. I kept the stock ones in a box on the shelf, they will go on if I sell it. They will not go back on while I own it.

https://supershox.com/touring_options/
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hbkeith

Quote from: Hossamania on June 25, 2023, 08:15:08 AMI have switched to SuperShox Premium LT 14" shocks that ride at 13", with a 1" lowering kit on my Ultra, so they ride at 12" with full travel of a 14" shock. Preload is very simple to adjust, no tools needed. I cannot tell you how much better these ride. My wife made comment immediately that the ride is so much better. I kept the stock ones in a box on the shelf, they will go on if I sell it. They will not go back on while I own it.

https://supershox.com/touring_options/
isnt it amazing that HD still puts on junk shocks on there TOURING models , yeah my OL made a comment before we got to the end of our rough ass road that the ride was way better , the supershox look pretty good

bigfoot5x

I've had 3 Street Glides. I stand 6'5" so I do not need a shorter shock. With all 3 bikes, I found someone that was short and simply made a swap. My short shocks for their longer ones. Always rode better for me.

I just recently discovered the Super Shox online. Very interesting replacement idea and I'm considering getting some.

tomboyjr

A few years ago I bought a set of Super Shox from another member on here. He was about the same weight as me, as was his wife. (Same weight as my wife, not the same weight as me-lol). They are adjustable for compression only, not rebound but they made a huge difference. At the same time I installed Progressive springs in the fork. Its still no sport bike, but rides SO much smoother.

sfmichael

Quote from: calif phil on May 06, 2023, 08:32:46 AMI always try and talk StreetGlide owners in going to a 13" shock, makes a big difference. Who knew 1" was that important  :embarrassed:

Phil - what shock brand do you typically recommend? Hard to believe how expensive shocks are for a motorcycle, especially since I'm in the car business and see quality shocks at half the cost.

Hoss - you bought the mid level Supershox? I like the idea of the 14" shock, I can't believe the factory hasn't figured this out or made any significant suspension upgrades in the last 15 years or more.
Colorado Springs, CO.

Hossamania

Quote from: sfmichael on July 12, 2023, 03:33:36 AM
Quote from: calif phil on May 06, 2023, 08:32:46 AMI always try and talk StreetGlide owners in going to a 13" shock, makes a big difference. Who knew 1" was that important  :embarrassed:

Phil - what shock brand do you typically recommend? Hard to believe how expensive shocks are for a motorcycle, especially since I'm in the car business and see quality shocks at half the cost.

Hoss - you bought the mid level Supershox? I like the idea of the 14" shock, I can't believe the factory hasn't figured this out or made any significant suspension upgrades in the last 15 years or more.

Yes, mid level shock. It has a pretty large adjustability range for pre-load, easily done with no tools. My wife noticed the difference immediately, and that was the whole goal.
Like mentioned, 14" shock, rides at 13", and I got the 1" lowering kit. That, along with a Sundowner seat makes the height much more friendly for my stubby legs, and still allows a good range of shock travel.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

calif phil

Legends is my number one selling shock, they work great, not too expensive, lifetime warranty, have them on my own bike.  Every customer that I have installed a set on loves them.  Been putting some on Tri Glides lately as well. 

Jim Bronson

I've tried to find an objective comparison for emulsion type shocks vs divided chamber type for motorcycles. Mostly they're written by manufacturers pitching their brand. I'm still looking. Even a pro-con list would be nice.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.