April 17, 2024, 10:13:34 PM

News:

Barry Controls USA made Front Engine Mount

Started by turboprop, December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

FWI - They shipped my order the next day and I am not talking about simply generating a tracking number. My package was in the possession of the shipper the following day. I find value in that.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

motorhogman

Quote from: turboprop on January 11, 2021, 09:15:20 AM
FWI - They shipped my order the next day and I am not talking about simply generating a tracking number. My package was in the possession of the shipper the following day. I find value in that.

I agree..  I just got something yesterday I ordered 26 days ago,, 3 to 7 business days my butt... I have something in "transit"  right now that Fed ex has no clue when it will be delivered.. It was supposed top be here Saturday.. " No scheduled delivery date available". Very frustrating..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

RedFXR2

Mainly aimed at turbo and motorhogman:  Either of you install one of these mounts yet and ride with it?  Which ones did you order and try out?  1, 2, or 3?  Any "reviews" welcome.  Thanks.

turboprop

Quote from: RedFXR2 on February 01, 2021, 12:05:56 PM
Mainly aimed at turbo and motorhogman:  Either of you install one of these mounts yet and ride with it?  Which ones did you order and try out?  1, 2, or 3?  Any "reviews" welcome.  Thanks.

I have. #2, #3 and #4.

As expected, #4 transmitted more vibrations that what I have experience from a Harley labeled unit. Likewise #2 was silky smooth, but allowed the engine (TC124 11.9 Compression) to bounce around. I really dont care about the bounce but the exhaust pipe was tapping on a foot control.

#3 was just about perfect and is what I put back in after trying the #4 for 400-ish miles.  I am probably going to buy about a dozen #3 and maybe four #2. Might put a #2 in my bone stock bagger when the time comes.

RedFXR2

turbo:  Thanks for the update.  If a #3 was about perfect for your 124 motor, then maybe a 1 or 2 for a moderately modified 80"?

turboprop

Quote from: RedFXR2 on February 01, 2021, 01:50:12 PM
turbo:  Thanks for the update.  If a #3 was about perfect for your 124 motor, then maybe a 1 or 2 for a moderately modified 80"?

I am not sure how that works. Regardless of it's size, my TC124 was balanced by Hoban's, so it really shouldn't shake around more than a mouse motor. Or would it? I don't know.

You know, as inexpensive as these things are, it is not going to break the bank for you to buy a few of them and do your own redneck experiment and report your findings in this thread. Take one for the team man.

RedFXR2

Quote from: turboprop on February 01, 2021, 02:06:03 PM

You know, as inexpensive as these things are, it is not going to break the bank for you to buy a few of them and do your own redneck experiment and report your findings in this thread. Take one for the team man.

LOL.  Thing is my garage already has many remnants left over from "redneck engineering".  I thought maybe this time I could just piggyback......

But on the other hand, these things are quite the bargain compared to some of my past experiments.

motorhogman

Quote from: RedFXR2 on February 01, 2021, 12:05:56 PM

I haven't ordered one yet.  I am going with the # 1 when i do.  Stock FLHT.  Had to many things going on around here lately.  I'll get to it eventually. 

farmall

Nice find!
Barry mounts have been used on aircraft since WWII including avionics on the Phantom, Bronco and F-16s I wrenched so I'd have no worries about consistent quality vs. mystery ChiCom unknown durometer urethane generic mounts. There's no reason such mounts should be expensive given their simplicity and immense economies of scale from use throughout the military and civilian world. Nearly every "black box" (though mostly gray today) in the air rides on Barry mounts.

hbkeith

I just put the #3 front mount on my 97FLHR , dont notice any vibration change so far , bike seems tight  :up:

SixShooter14

Quote from: hbkeith on April 18, 2021, 03:41:26 PM
I just put the #3 front mount on my 97FLHR , dont notice any vibration change so far , bike seems tight  :up:
Is that the 507-3NS? You running a stock 80"? I'll be interested to hear how you're liking it after some time/distance.

I've got a DS front mount sitting on my bench for my 97 FLHR but this looks and sounds like a better replacement.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

joelp34252

Just looked at a nos exhaust mount I have for my 1983 FXRT and it has the name Berry molded into the rubber also. Is in a Harley Bag.

Joel 2001 FLHT , 1983 FXRT.

turboprop

Update. I purchased this mount in all five stiffnesses and have been running the #3 mount for a couple of months. I like it, but out of curiosity and in the name of science, I swapped it out for the #1 this weekend. Those that are looking for smooth, this is it. I plan to run it for a few months and then go right to #5 for a good A-B comparison.

hbkeith

Quote from: SixShooter14 on April 18, 2021, 07:00:05 PM
Is that the 507-3NS? You running a stock 80"? I'll be interested to hear how you're liking it after some time/distance.

I've got a DS front mount sitting on my bench for my 97 FLHR but this looks and sounds like a better replacement.
Yes 3NS, not stock but 80

SixShooter14

Quote from: hbkeith on April 19, 2021, 05:28:36 AM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on April 18, 2021, 07:00:05 PM

Yes 3NS, not stock but 80
great, me too

motorhogman

Fed ex just delivered my 507 1NS mount.. Now the question is which direction is up for it..It's Identical in all dimensions to the 16207-79D mount including weight at 8 3/8 oz..

looking at this old post ( pictures near bottom of page ) would you install it like the early version or the later version..

If you are seeing this turboprop which direction did you install ?

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/mount/mount.htm

smoserx1

April 24, 2021, 04:01:17 PM #41 Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:12:40 PM by smoserx1
If it looks like the "D" style mount the hourglass shaped part goes on top.  Mark the bottom side of the old one in there now with a dab of paint before removing, it should be obvious when you get it out which way the new one goes.  If it is the "B" style the larger diameter part goes on top.  The illustrations in that link show it pretty clear.

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on April 24, 2021, 04:01:17 PM
If it looks like the "D" style mount the hourglass shaped part goes on top.  Mark the bottom side of the old one in there now with a dab of paint before removing, it should be obvious when you get it out which way the new one goes.  If it is the "B" style the larger diameter part goes on top.  The illustrations in that link show it pretty clear.

Thanks.. My confusion.. or question is a result of a conversation I had with an engineer at Barry Controls last December.  He said that the 5071NS mount that I ordered was the original OEM mount.  Which would have been the 79B.. He seemed very knowledgeable about the later mounts being a stiffer compound and the vibration issues caused by them.   

This new mount is Identical in all aspects to the 79 D.. The current mount I have in there is a 79 D and installed the way Your old post shows the D vs the B installation. Thanks for posting that. I bookmarked that post back when you posted it.

I was hoping turboprop would jump in here with his experience. As far as I know he;s the only one that has installed these mounts. 

Thinking I may wait until Monday and call Barry Controls as I have the engineers direct phone #.. Although I'm guessing the answer will be it depends on the application..

One more thing to add to my confusion..When I bought that last 79 D mount at the dealer in Florence the parts guy told me the "made in china" lettering side goes down..Which would make that the 79 B install..  I'll guess he was wrong ?  I don't know..

smoserx1

Take a look at service bulletin M-1182 available on this site.  It shows the orientation of the old and new style mounts (although the new style at this time is a "C" edition.)  I had also tried one of those Buell L0501.2 mounts mentioned in that link you posted.  It tore up in no time at all.  The latest mount I bought was a "D" mount, and yes it was made in China.  I remember the rubber stunk to high heaven when new (reminded me of walking into a Harbor Freight store back then).  I installed mine with the hourglass part on top and I never had excessive vibrations (all of them are a little stiff at first).  I wonder if a bunch of folks installed the new mounts upside down and this contributed to the vibrations?

motorhogman

April 25, 2021, 09:10:23 AM #44 Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 09:24:02 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: smoserx1 on April 25, 2021, 08:53:09 AM
Take a look at service bulletin M-1182 available on this site.  It shows the orientation of the old and new style mounts (although the new style at this time is a "C" edition.)  I had also tried one of those Buell L0501.2 mounts mentioned in that link you posted.  It tore up in no time at all.  The latest mount I bought was a "D" mount, and yes it was made in China.  I remember the rubber stunk to high heaven when new (reminded me of walking into a Harbor Freight store back then).  I installed mine with the hourglass part on top and I never had excessive vibrations (all of them are a little stiff at first).  I wonder if a bunch of folks installed the new mounts upside down and this contributed to the vibrations?

I wonder if a bunch of folks installed the new mounts upside down and this contributed to the vibrations?  This I wouldn't doubt.. may have even done that myself at some time over the past 20 years...

Thanks I'll look at that bulletin.  Maybe just me not finding it but my OEM SM has no R &R for the front engine mount.  All I can find is inspect at 10,000 mi.   On another note the OEM 01 parts manual picture shows the hour glass side up.  Not a super clear picture but it sure looks that way..

Just looked at the bulletin M 1182.. I'll install it that way and see what happens.. Same as that page you posted for the 79 D..

smoserx1

Here is a couple of pics of mine:
[attach=0,msg1384195]

Bottom
[attach=1,msg1384195]

Hossamania

A couple of pics of mine. I might be due for a new new one...

[attach=0]
[attach=1]
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhogman

Mount installed.. quick test ride, about 10 mi.. Can't say it's overwhelmingly smoother but.. It is smoother especially on decell when hitting the 2200 to 2000 rpm range..  Have to get a longer ride in to say for sure.  For the $$ it works.. Now to see how long it works..  The 79D I took out has about 18,000 mi on it. Really shows no sign of wear.. I gtg get the bbq going.. that's why i could only take a quick test ride..

motorhogman

One thing I forgot to mention, when I ordered the engine mount from Barry Controls they were out of "snub washers" recommended for the 507 1 NS.  Looking at yours Hoss and also smoserx1's I notice the washers you have are much thicker than mine.  Mine looks to be a typical fender washer.. I wasn't the first to change this mount, 2 HD dealers replaced it under warranty before I ever got there.  I'm wondering how much effect that could have on vibration transfer.. I read some where the snub washers were designed specifically for certain mounts and applications.. Might have been on Barry Controls site. Not sure where.

SixShooter14

**Warning**
**Graphic Content**

Yup, it might just be a little worn..... Luckily I have a replacement sitting on the bench.