March 28, 2024, 09:50:12 AM

News:

Barry Controls USA made Front Engine Mount

Started by turboprop, December 15, 2020, 07:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Quote from: motorhogman on April 25, 2021, 04:03:47 PM
One thing I forgot to mention, when I ordered the engine mount from Barry Controls they were out of "snub washers" recommended for the 507 1 NS.  Looking at yours Hoss and also smoserx1's I notice the washers you have are much thicker than mine.  Mine looks to be a typical fender washer.. I wasn't the first to change this mount, 2 HD dealers replaced it under warranty before I ever got there.  I'm wondering how much effect that could have on vibration transfer.. I read some where the snub washers were designed specifically for certain mounts and applications.. Might have been on Barry Controls site. Not sure where.
FWIW, mine also has the thicker washer underneath.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

smoserx1

April 26, 2021, 02:48:02 AM #51 Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:09:13 AM by smoserx1
QuoteLooking at yours Hoss and also smoserx1's I notice the washers you have are much thicker than mine.

It's hard for me to imagine how that would have any effect unless the washer is so thin it distorts or flexes in operation.  Otherwise won't the nut just thread a little farther onto the shaft of the bolt?  Anyway if it's a concern replace it.  Looks easy enough to change.

motorhogman

Those washers are far thicker on all 3 mounts here pictured.  I'm certain after another look at mine it is a common fender washer.  definitely going to look into getting the correct washer.  Thanks for posting the pictures..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

kd

.... stack a couple for now. If it's a strength issue that should be helpful.
KD

turboprop

Quote from: motorhogman on April 24, 2021, 10:09:09 AM
Fed ex just delivered my 507 1NS mount.. Now the question is which direction is up for it..It's Identical in all dimensions to the 16207-79D mount including weight at 8 3/8 oz..

looking at this old post ( pictures near bottom of page ) would you install it like the early version or the later version..

If you are seeing this turboprop which direction did you install ?

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/mount/mount.htm

Hour glass on top. Silky smooth.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

motorhogman

April 26, 2021, 09:31:00 AM #55 Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:59:17 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: kd on April 26, 2021, 06:06:45 AM
.... stack a couple for now. If it's a strength issue that should be helpful.

Thanks KD..There is actually a PN for that washer..96210-80 called the local dealer and they don't stock it.  I'm going to check Lowes specialty fasteners section and see if I can find something comparable, I'm certain I read some where that the correct snub washer should be used with these mounts..

Found where I read about snubbing washers.

motorhogman

Quote from: turboprop on April 26, 2021, 07:41:11 AM
Quote from: motorhogman on April 24, 2021, 10:09:09 AM
Fed ex just delivered my 507 1NS mount.. Now the question is which direction is up for it..It's Identical in all dimensions to the 16207-79D mount including weight at 8 3/8 oz..

looking at this old post ( pictures near bottom of page ) would you install it like the early version or the later version..

If you are seeing this turboprop which direction did you install ?

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/mount/mount.htm

Hour glass on top. Silky smooth.

Thanks.. That's how I installed it..

motorhogman

WOW !  I sent John at Barry Controls an email which he replied to within 8 minutes of receiving. This company is totally customer service. The same thing when I ordered,, Great communication, tracking, fast shipping, etc,.. Rare from my experience lately. I explained to him that when I ordered the 507 1NS mount they were out of stock on the washer.. He says the inventory has been updated and he is going to send me the proper snubby washer along with a box of samples I may be interested it.. I have no idea what kind of samples,,

SixShooter14

Quote from: motorhogman on April 26, 2021, 11:24:30 AM
WOW !  I sent John at Barry Controls an email which he replied to within 8 minutes of receiving. This company is totally customer service. The same thing when I ordered,, Great communication, tracking, fast shipping, etc,.. Rare from my experience lately. I explained to him that when I ordered the 507 1NS mount they were out of stock on the washer.. He says the inventory has been updated and he is going to send me the proper snubby washer along with a box of samples I may be interested it.. I have no idea what kind of samples,,
I don't know how long you're going to be waiting, but I can measure the thickness of my washer if you'd like???

Oh, and I'd also like to add...If you look at my first pic from the top side, you'll notice my top mount plate is down all the way to the rubber mount flange. That's because I was getting some loud clunking over bumps and I could get the engine to rock when I would lift the front, so for a bandaid I cranked down the center bolt making it basically rigid.... It's worked for 3 months, but I will be installing the Drag Specialties mount soon...... And depending on how that goes, I may order a few of those Barry's for future replacements.

SixShooter14

FYI... The washer is 3/16" thick.

motorhogman

Quote from: SixShooter14 on April 26, 2021, 04:53:30 PM
I don't know how long you're going to be waiting, but I can measure the thickness of my washer if you'd like???

Oh, and I'd also like to add...If you look at my first pic from the top side, you'll notice my top mount plate is down all the way to the rubber mount flange. That's because I was getting some loud clunking over bumps and I could get the engine to rock when I would lift the front, so for a bandaid I cranked down the center bolt making it basically rigid.... It's worked for 3 months, but I will be installing the Drag Specialties mount soon...... And depending on how that goes, I may order a few of those Barry's for future replacements.

Thanks for the thickness dimension.  You sure got you $$ worth out of that front mount. 

hattitude

Quote from: SixShooter14 on April 25, 2021, 08:07:06 PM
**Warning**
**Graphic Content**

Yup, it might just be a little worn..... Luckily I have a replacement sitting on the bench.

You forgot to put:

***Viewer discretion advised***

Not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight after opening this your post....     :smileo:

motorhogman

Finally got a real test ride in ( 150 mi )  for the new Barry Controls engine mount and correct snubby washer. Definitely smoother than the 79D mount.

Not only is the mount smoother it's a fraction of the dealer price.  Customer service is also excellent. They sent me 4 snubby washers @ No charge because their inventory mistakenly showed "out of stock" when I ordered.  They sent me a box of sample materials also. Sound absorbing materials that can be used ad head liners and floor matting in vehicles. 

Thanks Much to turboprop for finding this source. 

motorhogman

I've been in contact with John at Barry Controls. Looking to see what other parts they may mfg. Like Handle bar bushings ( 56161-83A ) and swing arm rubber mounts, ( 47564-86 ) 

He sent me a picture of what looks like the handle bar bushings.  They look right but I need to find the dimensions on them.  Does anyone have a set they could measure or have a drawing of them ? 

Fugawee

I have a set of rubber Handle-bar bushings for an 03' FLHTCUI.  HD #56161-83A.  Here are the dimensions the best that My bloodshot eyes can see.  I hope that this may help You out...

*Total Height=3/4"
*Outside Diameter has a 3/16" Lip in Height around the outside on one end only.
*Outside Diameter of Lip End=1 and 1/4"
*Outside Diameter without Lip=1 and 1/8"
*Inside Diameter=11/16"

motorhogman

Quote from: Fugawee on May 03, 2021, 01:06:45 PM
I have a set of rubber Handle-bar bushings for an 03' FLHTCUI.  HD #56161-83A.  Here are the dimensions the best that My bloodshot eyes can see.  I hope that this may help You out...

*Total Height=3/4"
*Outside Diameter has a 3/16" Lip in Height around the outside on one end only.
*Outside Diameter of Lip End=1 and 1/4"
*Outside Diameter without Lip=1 and 1/8"
*Inside Diameter=11/16"

Thank You.  I'll give these dimensions to John and see if what he has matches.

I may be wasting time with this but I'm thinking if mounts can be bought direct from Barry Controls like the engine mounts there may be an opportunity for better quality and lower prices..

Fugawee

motorhogman

john sent me a drawing and spec sheet for what he has.  Looks like a No Go..

smoserx1

Ronnie's shows those handlebar bushings for $1.49 each.  Looks like there are lots of aftermarket ones for more money.  I have never even thought about changing mine, but I probably wouldn't know the symptoms of worn out ones anyway.  I believe I would stick with the dealer for these.

motorhogman

Quote from: smoserx1 on May 04, 2021, 01:11:52 PM
Ronnie's shows those handlebar bushings for $1.49 each.  Looks like there are lots of aftermarket ones for more money.  I have never even thought about changing mine, but I probably wouldn't know the symptoms of worn out ones anyway.  I believe I would stick with the dealer for these.

Yes.. I saw the 1.49 price.. My experience with worn out handle bar bushings is Vibration in the bars. Just trying to see what else Barry Controls mfg that will fit our bikes.  Looking into the swing arm rubber mounts as well.. They are about $50.00 each from HD..  The front engine mount works great and $19.00 is a steal.. Also looking at tour pack back rest isolator rubbers. 

ecir50

Thanks, just ordered a 507-1NS for a 81 FLT

ecir50

fast shipment receive in two days. Will note since I didn't recall seeing it mentioned the stock mount uses a 1/2 bolt for the through hole this 507 mount has a .459 through hole so have to use a 7/16 bolt. 

https://novibration.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/bcdi_prod_bonded_507.pdf

Ohio HD

What year and model is your bike? My 2008 touring bike uses an HD 3512, 3/8"-24 x 3-1/4" bolt.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

ecir50

Have two old factory mounts one from 81 FLT another from 88 FXR both used 1/2 bolt with through hole measuring .551.

Not that it matters just noting to check what you have before putting one of these on so you have a bolt on hand.