April 23, 2024, 07:11:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Conical valve Springs anyone?

Started by thumper 823, December 15, 2020, 09:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

I agree about progress but when you are fighting physics that will win every time. In this case for the EVO big twin that is stroke / mean piston speed. So everything can be right on the cutting edge and you still hit that constraint. That is improved on the XL and some other things as well.

thumper 823

Well..I know nothing and can prove it most of the time ..
But as one runs steeper valve seats ...
Then-
Less spring pressure and less bounce i would have to say os a good thing.?

I try to get 20 K out of top ends. It had been the university of hard knocks.
That equals a new way of doing it about every three years.
This is the last cigar for NA.
The next round will be turbo..but not quite like what everyone else does it.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

thumper 823

QUESTION - What is the TBO on these things?  (how long do they last)

Or-
About how many  Miles B4 failures?,  Or are they pretty much like most other springs for endurance?
thanx all

thumper 823

December 21, 2020, 12:02:31 AM #28 Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 04:09:59 AM by rigidthumper
Some good information

Buglet

thumper 823

Sure.
I have watched several  high speed valve train videows  and the two most impressive thing to m me is-
1,-  The amount of valve stem wobble with regular valves compared to the conical,  !  HS!    That nasty back in Fourth motion is doing my confidence no good and the wear on a guide! WOW
2,- the harmonics-  all most gone (if it is harmonics)  the springs are much more tame when closing the valve .

I see no reason to install other hipo springs after these Videows !

The price is no differnet then my last set of brand X

thumper 823

Quote from: aswracing on December 16, 2020, 05:06:29 PM
Quote from: thumper 823 on December 16, 2020, 01:20:20 PM
aswracing- Thanks for sharing the part number.
As per your part number,- the conicals are about 25 bucks each?
That is no more any other set. ( or elves)

We get $21 apiece for them, times 4 is $84. But by the time you add in the Ti retainers, locks, and seat locators, the complete spring pack totals $197. Ti retainers ain't cheap. The factory spring pack can be had for about $50, including retainers and locks.

Being I bought these from you  -

(and they are pretty! )

May I ask what do YOU use for
installed Ht, seat, and over the nose pressure with these?
Thanx!

Hilly13

I can't understand the resistance to using these conical springs, a better mouse trap is a better mouse trap, the old one goes in the bin and the new goes into service, I see no downside to these, the only argument that holds water is those that want duals for back up piece of mind but given the conical eliminates resonance as a failure factor that looses much of its merit, ok so all the odds and sods associated with installing them are dearer and or harder to source you would think that would change as demand ramped up, what am I missing?
Just because its said don't make it so

Don D

Resistance, not from me, I use and sell them. That said I can think of better ways to get an EVO to perform. Valve float is not on the radar unless you are running some cams with crazy lobes. Hammer Performance runs them in a 8000 rpm XL with complementary parts that all work together. and make big power, the assembly does not the springs. There is a place for everything in these motors but just because you can buy it does not mean it adds any value to the assembly.  I put these springs in CVO110 heads on big twin cams with 7mm lightweight valves that are 2.120" X 1.65".  They work well but so did the beehives and so did the lightweight duals that preceded them.

thumper 823

As i have said b4 -We all presume the other guy is doing the same thing as me or us.
Nothing prolly is farther from the truth in my case...
Albeit the information and test are out there,  few use it.
  I  don't use 45 deg seats so a lessor seat pressure for my application is a big huge deal.
   Read joe Mondello and perhaps Smokey.