May 03, 2024, 01:14:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need saddlebag lid removal help

Started by billbuilds, January 14, 2021, 01:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

I'd like to remove the lids from the saddlebags on my 99 FLHR as I want to repaint them. The factory SM has an exploded view of the latch hardware but the text offers no help in removing the lid. I don't really want to remove all the hardware from the bags if I don''t have to, just want to free the lids. Any help would be appreciated. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Fugawee

I think at least You will need to remove the Straps,(cloth pieces that hold the bag open); and the latch that You open and lock with, on the Lid Side.  It's not bad, or hard.  Be careful when You remove the straps, that the lid doesn't slam into the bag.  The straps should have 2 metal supports inside the hem, that could slide out.  Last time I did it, all the screws were Torx.  If You don't want to remove the hardware left on the inboard side of the lid that catches to the bag...mask them off. 

Hossamania

I did mine 20 years ago, but I remember it was just a matter of removing hardware as you go. Not hard, but don't try and save time by not removing a piece of two. It usually doesn't.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

billbuilds

Fugawee, I can see where that lid is free to flop as soon as I remove the cloth piece.  I hesitated to do this though now I see that I'll need to put a towel between the top of the lid and the side of the bad so that I don't cause more paint work. I'm sure that removal will become clearer once I get that cloth out of the way of the back side of the latch.
     Mr Hoss, You're right, I'll take my time.

Thanks to you both, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

14Frisco

billbuilds

Fugawee

Bill, Your Welcome.  Seeing that You've gone this far, You might want to lube up the latches hinges, springs, and locks; if You do not normally.  You may find that they will operate a little smoother.  The screws on the inside of the bag for the hardware, that the lid secures to when closed...You may want to take a look at as well.  All the screws inside the bag for that matter.  Those screws may take a "tweak" or two.  Just don't go nuts on them in the "tightening" dept.  Ask Me how I know...Have Fun.

Hossamania

I'm not going even going to tell you what I did when I reassembled them.
They work fine, no damage, but pulled a bonehead move that I will most definitely pay for later.

Fugawee

C'mon now Hoss...don't leave us in suspense...Inquiring Minds want to know.  I've never done a bonehead move.  I've done a whole lot of "Oh Sh*t's", and "Oh No...WTF's", though.

Hossamania

Well, it's pretty stupid. Really not looking forward to it. But, those little screws didn't seem to have much purchase, so just in case, I, I, ... I used red loctite on them.
There. I said it. Yes, I used RED.
It is so not going to go well the day they need to come apart again.

kd

Lay the tip of the soldering gun on them for a bit before you even try to loosen them. It'll soften up the red. I know this guy that had a problem like that before.
KD

Fugawee

Well, here's a WTF! for You...the Tour-Pak hinges on My 94' FLHTC were driving Me crazy.  Re-set, and Re-placed the rivets.  Still a pain in the ass.  Finally, drilled them out, and replaced them with small stainless allen screws and nuts.  Put them all in, and started socking them down.  I'm all happy when it's almost done.  I take a look, and I've got a crack on the lid, and a couple on the Tour-Pak itself.  Good cracks.  Professional cracks.  Luckily, a co-worker of Mine was a former auto body Guy, and fixed it all up.  Blended in the paint, etc.  Good as new...can't even tell.  Did use the screws and nuts...just not as much brute strength.

Hossamania

So Bill, don't use red loctite when you reassemble...
And don't over torque!

billbuilds

Thanks for the heads up men. I got one off but I gotta say that there isn't much room to get the five screws backed out to release the lid. I ended up using a 1/4" drive torx bit duct taped to a combination wrench; I laid the bit on top of the combo wrench for the photo. Should be fun getting them back in.   

Fugawee

I think that You might find it easier to remove the latch from the bag completely.  That should allow the hinge side of the latch, going to the lid to extend; kind of flat...to get better access to those screws.  I believe there are only 4 screws holding the latch to the bag,,,2 that You may already have out.  Don't hold Me to it...it's been awhile.

billbuilds

Ok, I see now  :embarrassed:   On the back side of the latch you need to  remove the two screws holding the lock in place and the nut from the stud on the other end. Then the two screws on the outside of the latch and voila the latch cover comes off and you have good access to those five screws holding the latch to the lid.   :baby:

Tacocaster

Take a couple of good photos before you remove, Bill. As I recall, the lock (I think it was) gave me some pause to reassemble last time. The right and left locking awls are opposite in their placement, If I recall.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

billbuilds

Quote from: Tacocaster on January 15, 2021, 12:59:54 PM
Take a couple of good photos before you remove, Bill. As I recall, the lock (I think it was) gave me some pause to reassemble last time. The right and left locking awls are opposite in their placement, If I recall.

Thanks for verty timely the reminder. I'd taken the one side completely apart but the lock is still on the other so I used a sharpie to mark them both.    :up:

Fugawee

Bill, asides from all the info You have received...if You go to You-Tube, type in Harley Saddlebag Latches.  You will see a video saying the same thing, covering 1994-2013 bags.  Check it out.  It is more of an installation instruction...but I think it will spell it all out for You.

billbuilds

Quote from: Fugawee on January 15, 2021, 03:04:52 PM
Bill, asides from all the info You have received...if You go to You-Tube, type in Harley Saddlebag Latches.  You will see a video saying the same thing, covering 1994-2013 bags.  Check it out.  It is more of an installation instruction...but I think it will spell it all out for You.

Good info there. Thanks  :up:

jmorton10

I still laugh about my first experience with red loctite. I bought a 1957 rigid Panhead in 1969 & rode it all stock for one summer.  Then I stripped it down to the bare frame, raked it 1/2" & built a chopper.

Since it kept have stuff come loose, parts fall off etc. I assembled the entire bike with red loctite.  Nothing fell off that Summer & I figured I had cured the problem.  Then I decided I wanted to paint it a different color & started to strip it down to the bare frame again lol.

Every single but/bolt etc. broke.  Some where no big deal but the bolts that screwed into a blind hole caused me to come up with swear words  that hadn't been used before lol.

I still use red loctite on certain things but a bottle of it lasts me a very long time HaHa.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS