March 28, 2024, 11:36:21 AM

News:

Blast or SV650 as a winter project

Started by NCHeritage07, December 20, 2020, 07:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCHeritage07

I have always enjoyed projects and have been watching 'zuki SV650s for a while but the blast seem interesting too.  And one of those has appeared on my radar that is currently priced at only $300.  I have not made contact with the seller but the picture appear to show a complete bike minus the air filter box.  So, for those who have been on one, is the Blast actually a blast to ride?  For reference, I enjoy my son-in-law's XR250L even though its under-powered for hwy use and seems really stressed at anything over ~60mph.

So, is the Blast a good option for tinkering?  Based on everything I have read, the SV650 may be the best bang vs buck when it comes to fun to ride bikes but its engine seems MUCH more complicated for my intended purpose.  I don't have a specific SV in mind but they are always available.
On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

rigidthumper

For $300 it'll keep you entertained. 3 1/2" bore x 3 1/8" stroke, most made about 25 HP/TQ all stock.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

JW113

My neighbor had one, he let the battery go dead so I helped him change it. I took it for a 20 min spin around the 'hood. Woefully under-powered, but man alive, I nearly went over the bars first time i hit the front brake. Am used to big twin brakes, this thing is more akin to Japanese brakes, pinky finger is all you need. It also flicks around quick and is very stable in a turn. Might make a fun beginner bike for somebody.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

ultrafxr

I taught Rider's Edge classes for the local Harley dealer from 2002 - 2011 and during that time we used the Buell Blast for students training in the Basic Rider Course.  I can tell you from my personal experience and fellow rider coaches that the Blast is anything but.  Its engine is temperamental especially so in cool weather and the shift lever is held on the shaft only by friction - there are no teeth on the shaft or the shift lever.  It was a constant problem keeping it functional as many of the students had 'heavy feet'.  I don't recall all the mechanical problems and I don't think they were severe but mainly very annoying as we'd have at least one bike have to go in for service during a class.  The techs in the dealership hated them.  Not sure why perhaps because they were so beat on by the students.  I'm not sure how difficult it is to source parts since they've been out of production for several years.