April 18, 2024, 05:15:43 PM

News:

Will TC cam bearing tool work on M8?

Started by anthonyflhx, December 20, 2020, 10:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyflhx

Will a twin cam, can bearing tool work on an M8? I have the tc cam puller/ installer without the plate. Don't remember who i got it from but it worked on a 96ci tc street glide.

I also heard the bearing didn't click into place like the tc did, but presses to a specific depth against a lip. Was told be careful because the lip can easily break?

rigidthumper

Inner cam bearing is the same 07 up, TC has 2, M8 has 1, so the same bearing puller will work. Instructions said "measure original bearing depth, set new bearing to old measurement".
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

It seems like you're concerned about installing at the proper depth and breaking stuff.  If so, then using the proper tool like the JIMS 5806 will address those concerns.  The 5806 has a stepped pusher to install at the correct depth because it grounds out on the casing during installation.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

The remover will. An updated Installation Plate is required. The TC Bearing Seat also works on the M8
Tom

les

If you're clever enough a third hole can be added to the twin cam support plate so that it works both on twin cam and M8.  The local Indy I often go to has done this after I suggested it could be done.  It would be a good idea for JIMS to make their bearing tool like this so that it could work in all situations...one tool instead of two.

anthonyflhx

Mine doesn't have a plate, i think it's the slide hammer type tool. Pic attached in first post. Is plate needed?

road-dawgs1

Quote from: anthonyflhx on December 25, 2020, 01:04:50 PM
Mine doesn't have a plate, i think it's the slide hammer type tool. Pic attached in first post. Is plate needed?

Looks like the same tool I have from Gary Beatty where you pull the bearing by turning the wrench and tap the new one in with a hammer. You just need to make sure you measure the depth of the existing bearing before you pull it and as you tap the new one in, you have stop and keep measuring so you don't put it in too far.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

les

It really boils down to how concerned you are with exact bearing depth and potentially breaking stuff.  I always put a high priority on quality of work, which incentivizes me to spend the money on the proper tool, so that the high quality of work is highly repeatable.

ziggy24

Quote from: les on December 27, 2020, 08:59:13 AM

It really boils down to how concerned you are with exact bearing depth and potentially breaking stuff.  I always put a high priority on quality of work, which incentivizes me to spend the money on the proper tool, so that the high quality of work is highly repeatable.

Slide hammer, tapping with a hammer.....inside an engine with tiny little needle bearings? Really?  Good luck fishing out those little buggers if the bearing checks out and goes down inside the crankcase. Not to mention, I can bet, any bearing manufacturer will tell you to use the proper puller or installation tools!

Is that the place where you want to be cheap, or just lazy? Use the right tool, rented, borrowed or purchased and know the work you have done with the correct tool will not come back to haunt you.